U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2019, 07:25 AM

2,747 posts, read 2,895,077 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
okay well im not coming back here for a while so tootles until jan maybe if I remember . see ya
Just want to note that there is no time restriction on when you can share your thoughts. If you want to share your thoughts, you can share them. You can also wait, too. That's perfectly fine. That said, I finished chapter five yesterday and will have more time at the end of the month to blitz this thing in a sitting or two. I hope to have it completed by November 15 or so.

Last edited by Free-R; 10-17-2019 at 08:25 AM.. Reason: additional
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2019, 04:44 PM

I finished the book today. I have been adding more fiction lately, but mostly prefer nonfiction, so to say Goolrick's writing style was an adjustment for me is an understatement. Some fiction writing can be lofty, airy and overly-descriptive in ways that impede the progress of the story. After about three chapters in, I had some thinking to do on whether I would even finish; I returned the book to the library early, not wanting to incur fees as it sat around unread. "What to do? what to do?" As it sometimes goes.

Now, since A Reliable Wife was the inaugural selection of the C-D Random Book Club Thread, with me as the host, it would have been a disservice not to follow through with my commitment. After sitting on the idea for a few days, I determined I would finish the story, so I went back to the library to check the book out once more, this time burrowing down both in the library and at home, reading it to its completion. As I got further into each chapter, I became acclimated to the style of writing to where it seemed to fit the experience, which isn't always the case. To be sure, there are parts that came across as poorly written, but interestingly enough, I didn't find it to be a boring read. One thing I will say for sure, however, is that these people all deserve one another. And that is all I will say for now.

Old 10-30-2019, 10:23 AM

14,480 posts, read 20,110,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Free-R View Post
I finished the book today. I have been adding more fiction lately, but mostly prefer nonfiction, so to say Goolrick's writing style was an adjustment for me is an understatement. Some fiction writing can be lofty, airy and overly-descriptive in ways that impede the progress of the story. After about three chapters in, I had some thinking to do on whether I would even finish; I returned the book to the library early, not wanting to incur fees as it sat around unread. "What to do? what to do?" As it sometimes goes.

Now, since A Reliable Wife was the inaugural selection of the C-D Random Book Club Thread, with me as the host, it would have been a disservice not to follow through with my commitment. After sitting on the idea for a few days, I determined I would finish the story, so I went back to the library to check the book out once more, this time burrowing down both in the library and at home, reading it to its completion. As I got further into each chapter, I became acclimated to the style of writing to where it seemed to fit the experience, which isn't always the case. To be sure, there are parts that came across as poorly written, but interestingly enough, I didn't find it to be a boring read. One thing I will say for sure, however, is that these people all deserve one another. And that is all I will say for now.

Since I have finished the book as well and now own it again after losing or loaning out the first copy I concur . Yes they do deserve each other . I hope others will come along and add to the conversation .

Old 10-31-2019, 04:54 PM

57,675 posts, read 4,261,996 times
I have also finished the book, I will admit to liking it more than I thought I would, after the first chapter. The progression of Catherine was interesting.

Old 10-31-2019, 04:56 PM

4,993 posts, read 2,394,721 times
fiction, correct?

Old 10-31-2019, 04:59 PM

57,675 posts, read 4,261,996 times
Yes.

Old 10-31-2019, 05:08 PM

Okay, so we still need Enduringwone, CrowGirl and NYC refugee to confirm if they have finished the book or update us on their progress.

Old 11-04-2019, 10:18 AM

4,043 posts, read 1,858,075 times
Have not finished, but will do so and check in, as agreed.

Old 11-05-2019, 08:00 PM

2,517 posts, read 4,138,500 times
Hi folks! I have avoided this thread so as not to accidentally read any spoiklers but I am on hapter 10 and should finish by the weekend. Really great selection since it is not a book I would have chosen but LOVE the writing. It has had a slowish start but we are about to shift to St. Louis so I get the sense things will pick up. But I love a book where you get pulledin by the writing despite a somewhat slower plot. I also love the timeframe in qwhich this is set - such an intreresting time. Something gets me thinking about the movie the Painted Veil but I have the sense Ralph is not going to be the laudable character Edward Norton played in that movie.

Anyway enjoying it so far and now that I'm in it should finish soon!

Old 11-08-2019, 05:07 PM

4,043 posts, read 1,858,075 times
I finished chapter 8 so far and don't think they deserve each other so much as that they have a lot in common.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or