U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-10-2019, 11:20 AM

17,617 posts, read 6,016,277 times

Advertisements

It's been 18 years (time flies!) since Enron imploded. I still find this story fascinating. The three books shown here are the ones I have read.

* The Smartest Guys In The Room - Bethany McClain & Peter Elkind

* Conspiracy Of Fools - Kurt Eichenwald

* Power Failure - Sherron Watkins

Anyone like and care to comment on any of these books, or are there other good ones that may be worthwhile to read?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2019, 11:49 AM

3,860 posts, read 2,407,230 times
There's another one called 24 Days that focuses on the story from the POV of the reporters who uncovered it. I recommend that one, too.

I loved both The Smartest Guys in the Room and Conspiracy of Fools. The Smartest Guys documentary is also excellent.

I never read Power Failure -- I'll have to check that one out.

I became a bit obsessed with the story and thought I was crazy for reading three books. BUT, so much reminds me of the Enron crisis -- including the financial/mortgage meltdown. It was such a similar thing - the information was all there, available to anyone who bothered to look at it. It was in public filings. But no one did until after the fact. To me, this whole thing was caused by laziness, in that no one -- no regulators, no financial analysts, no financial reporters - no one at all looked at even the public filings and said, "This makes no sense. No one should continue to invest in this company until this is explained."
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books