Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the book
5 stars 2 40.00%
4 stars 2 40.00%
3 stars 1 20.00%
2 stars 0 0%
1 star 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 10:01 AM

130,290 posts, read 12,099,804 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think Lydia the mother felt like everyone had abdoned her and so she exacted her revenge upon Lawrence and unfortunately he was the one to pay the cost . Yes I agree she was a whackjob .
Questions that came to my mind:

1. I wonder, if she had received some counselling or treatment after she killed her twin, would she have been a better adjusted adult? She did not enjoy the time in the countryside with her Aunt. Or was she just crazy with no way to fix?

2. Do you think she killed the grandmother, when Laurence went to Rome?

3. Do you think she drugged Laurence, at the meal with Karen, so that she knew he would have a heart attack? I mean in addition to the weight loss drugs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2020, 10:42 AM

6,150 posts, read 4,514,052 times
I think she was a psychopath with no feeling for anyone other than herself.

I didn't get any hint in the reading that she did the grandmother in.

I was waiting for her to drug someone at that dinner, so not sure. It didn't seem necessary as she had him on something that made him "jittery."

My problem was with Malcolm, whose character didn't ring true. Dating a patient? Trying outside a professional setting to push dangerous buttons? Leaving his prescription pads hanging around?

Old 01-13-2020, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
I think she was a psychopath with no feeling for anyone other than herself.

I didn't get any hint in the reading that she did the grandmother in.

I was waiting for her to drug someone at that dinner, so not sure. It didn't seem necessary as she had him on something that made him "jittery."

My problem was with Malcolm, whose character didn't ring true. Dating a patient? Trying outside a professional setting to push dangerous buttons? Leaving his prescription pads hanging around?
True, there was no hint that she did Gma in, but it was suspicious timing, poor Laurence only got one day in Rome. She was such a narcissistic psychopath, that I think she would have done it, if she was able to leave the house, in her desperation to get her son home.

I agree Malcolm was way out of bounds, & bringing Amy into the home, was a dreadful idea, and very unprofessional. All I can say is that Lydia must have been very beautiful, & crazy people are often charming ( to get what they want)

Old 01-13-2020, 08:44 PM

Psychopaths can be very charming and I remember feeling a bit surprised at the end when they mentioned how attractive she still was. Because there was nothing attractive in her character, so to think of her as beautiful surprised me.

Old 01-14-2020, 07:14 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
Questions that came to my mind:

1. I wonder, if she had received some counselling or treatment after she killed her twin, would she have been a better adjusted adult? She did not enjoy the time in the countryside with her Aunt. Or was she just crazy with no way to fix?

2. Do you think she killed the grandmother, when Laurence went to Rome?

3. Do you think she drugged Laurence, at the meal with Karen, so that she knew he would have a heart attack? I mean in addition to the weight loss drugs.

1. From what I understand about Asian parents is that they are very guarded and want to present to the world that they are far superior when it comes to their families so even the hint of physicatric care would have been out of the question .

2, No don't think she killed grandma after all grandma was the one who had the cottage that Lydia and Lawrence refused to sell to the relatives .

3. yes I do think Lydia drugged the food and im sure karen might have gotten some of the drug because of the way she wigged out and ran away . Oh im sure she knew he would have a heart attack .

Old 01-14-2020, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
1. From what I understand about Asian parents is that they are very guarded and want to present to the world that they are far superior when it comes to their families so even the hint of physicatric care would have been out of the question .

2, No don't think she killed grandma after all grandma was the one who had the cottage that Lydia and Lawrence refused to sell to the relatives .

3. yes I do think Lydia drugged the food and im sure karen might have gotten some of the drug because of the way she wigged out and ran away . Oh im sure she knew he would have a heart attack .
I think you mean Irish, not Asian?

#2 Oh I still think she called up Gma & made her angry, which contributed to the death, the timing was just so suspicious. I don't think we knew half of her selfish shenanigans. eta: Plus she claimed the cottage was hers as well as her sons. I think she thought she could manipulate him into selling it for her.

Last edited by evening sun; 01-14-2020 at 10:17 AM..

Old 01-14-2020, 12:22 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,086,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by evening sun View Post
I think you mean Irish, not Asian?

#2 Oh I still think she called up Gma & made her angry, which contributed to the death, the timing was just so suspicious. I don't think we knew half of her selfish shenanigans. eta: Plus she claimed the cottage was hers as well as her sons. I think she thought she could manipulate him into selling it for her.

yes irish thank you ...where did I get Asian from ? Oye Vay .

Old 01-14-2020, 08:52 PM

Yes, they have that class thing. It ran all through the book. Which made my favorite character Beth's father. Low in the hierarchy, but spoke up for his daughter with no hesitation. He was a good father.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:39 AM

Yes I liked Bridgets family too. I thought Laurence was stupid to go back to her small home town to mail the second letter to Karen, he should have known he would be noticed.

Old 01-16-2020, 12:29 PM

356 posts, read 281,709 times
I thought it wasn't smart to send the first letter from Bridget's home town. Since Karen knew Bridget was from there and that they were visiting, it would seem awful coincidental that Annie was in or near that same town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books