U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the book
5 stars 2 40.00%
4 stars 2 40.00%
3 stars 1 20.00%
2 stars 0 0%
1 star 0 0%
Voters: 5. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-01-2020, 12:40 PM

2,747 posts, read 2,896,709 times

Advertisements

THE CITY-DATA RANDOM BOOK CLUB (JANUARY 2020)

Happy New Year everyone as we welcome in our first reading selection for 2020.

Title: Lying in Wait by Liz Nugent was the winning book for January that was selected in The C-D Random Book Club Thread, as detailed here

Book type: Fiction

From the description:

Quote:
My husband did not mean to kill Annie Doyle, but the lying tramp deserved it.

On the surface, Lydia Fitzsimons's life seems idyllic. Her husband, Andrew, is a prosperous, respected judge; they live in the spacious, comfortable, well-appointed house where she was raised. And she is utterly, obsessively devoted to her son, Laurence—her adored only child, her pride and joy.

But Andrew's murder of Annie Doyle, accidental or not, sets into motion a dark downward spiral. It doesn’t take long for Laurence to suspect that something is very, very wrong in the Fitzsimons household—and he is determined to discover the truth.
https://www.amazon.com/Lying-Wait-No...7906116&sr=8-1

Book suggested by: NYC refugee

Participating members:
  • evening sun
  • phonelady61
  • NYC refugee
Reading and discussion period: One month. This thread will be open for general commentary from its initiation. There are ways to talk about this reading experience and mingle about without revealing a single spoiler. We are all learned here. Use your judgement. Think of this period like one would a movie preview, where members can post to keep up interest and help each other stay motivated by updating us on their progress.

Spoiler mode: When all participating members check in as having finished the book or one month has elapsed, to be determined by the first day of the following month, whichever comes first, spoiler mode will officially be unlocked and we will begin a full discussion of the book. This is automatic and will not require an announcement. Firm. However, life happens and it is understandable that events may occur that will prevent a participant from finishing the reading in the time allotted. If a participating member has not finished the book after one month, it is recommended that they avoid this thread until they can catch up, and then they can come back and add commentary as necessary. The group will be here to welcome them. If a participating member (a) can't finish the book, (b) decides not to finish the book, (c) can't get the book, and/or (d) is unable to buy the book, then no harm, no foul. Kindly let us know so we can open up the discussion earlier, and we hope to see you back at the club thread for a future installment.

Supplemental: Random C-D Book Club members, please keep in mind that City-Data is a public forum and that anyone can respond to this thread.

Future: Although the time period for reading and discussion is being done monthly, this thread will remain open to future commentary.

Happy reading everyone!

Last edited by Free-R; 01-01-2020 at 12:59 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-04-2020, 08:18 AM

14,488 posts, read 20,123,276 times
I just finished chapter 1 . this seems like a great book and I hope it stays this good . I will come back when I finish it and can discuss at length . Happy reading all .

Old 01-05-2020, 04:23 PM

327 posts, read 191,689 times
I just checked it out from the library and will start when I finish the Jack Reacher I'm reading now.

Old 01-07-2020, 08:10 AM

im almost through this book and let me say wow so far . This is something I might not have read otherwise . I love book club .

Old 01-10-2020, 03:17 AM

I just finished the book oh wow the ending , the ending blew me away . thank you for recommending this book .

Old 01-10-2020, 11:46 AM

4,050 posts, read 1,860,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I just finished the book oh wow the ending , the ending blew me away . thank you for recommending this book .
I had that same reaction and it's why I recommended it. I'm off to the library to get my copy and refresh my memory so I can have a better discussion.

Old 01-12-2020, 01:03 PM

327 posts, read 191,689 times
I rated this book 3 stars, but only for the ending. I have to say I really struggled with it. I didn't find myself wanting to pick it up to see what happened next. But the end was really good and unexpected. I am looking forward to discussing this book though. I love to hear other people's opinions.

Old 01-12-2020, 04:56 PM

57,817 posts, read 4,271,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsVulcan500 View Post
I rated this book 3 stars, but only for the ending. I have to say I really struggled with it. I didn't find myself wanting to pick it up to see what happened next. But the end was really good and unexpected. I am looking forward to discussing this book though. I love to hear other people's opinions.
I gave it 4 stars. I found it dragged alot throughout the book, but I still enjoyed reading it, & the ending made me sad. Laurence was such a kindhearted man, he did not deserve that whackjob of a mother.

Old 01-12-2020, 05:30 PM

4,050 posts, read 1,860,755 times
I just skimmed it again to refresh my memory. I also give it four stars, but on the first reading I had such a visceral reaction to the ending that it stayed with me.

Old 01-13-2020, 03:51 AM

I think Lydia the mother felt like everyone had abdoned her and so she exacted her revenge upon Lawrence and unfortunately he was the one to pay the cost . Yes I agree she was a whackjob .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or