U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the book
5 Stars 1 100.00%
4 Stars 0 0%
3 Stars 0 0%
2 Stars 0 0%
1 Star 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2020, 03:59 PM

4,071 posts, read 1,882,006 times

Advertisements

I'm finished. You can tell me when you do or if you give up before the end of the month.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2020, 11:41 AM

58,628 posts, read 4,354,734 times
I have finished.

Old 03-17-2020, 06:54 PM

OK, I also found it hard to be drawn in because I feared reading horrible things about animal abuse. So I kept putting it off in the beginning.

Then I felt they were trying to tell too many stories at once, which persisted through most of the book. I was also a little annoyed at how most of the characters were either good or bad, very black or white, not nuanced enough.

Maybe Phonelady can join us if they put off her surgery.

Old 03-18-2020, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC refugee View Post
OK, I also found it hard to be drawn in because I feared reading horrible things about animal abuse. So I kept putting it off in the beginning.

Then I felt they were trying to tell too many stories at once, which persisted through most of the book. I was also a little annoyed at how most of the characters were either good or bad, very black or white, not nuanced enough.

Maybe Phonelady can join us if they put off her surgery.

I agree completely. I found the book depressing, her stories about being a vet, mostly seemed centered on the euthanizations, the chimpanzees were heart wrenching. I agree, no characters seem to develop well enough for me to really root for them. I thought it picked up about half way through, ( I had originally planned on only reading to the half way point,) but I think that is when Jaycee came along, & it perked up for a while. Then it got slow & dreary again, for me. I really struggled to finish it.

Old 03-18-2020, 10:52 PM

I found it sad overall, which is exactly the opposite of what I think we were meant to feel and I agree the most emotional bits were the bad ones. The good things were contrived in a lot of cases and too good to be true in others.

I did like that the animals were just as important and alive as the humans because that reinforced the whole point of the book. They were almost more real as they were written than the humans were.

Old 03-20-2020, 10:09 AM

OK, I'm not going to discuss this book with myself. I'm out because no one else seems to be in.

Old 03-21-2020, 02:51 PM

Hiya, I just don't have anything more to say about the book, I didn't really like it, struggled to finish reading it, & I am glad I did not buy it, & got a copy from the library. I would agree with you, NYC, that the animals were more real than some of the humans, I loved Cindy & had tears when she died. I am not sure why Jannick went back into see her, as I thought he had left the facility, when Vortag took his job.

I found the wife watching her husband as a ghost kinda creepy at times.

Old 03-21-2020, 04:51 PM

OK, it wasn't anything personal, just seems like people don't do a lot of discussing here. I felt I had agreed, by being in the club, to read the chosen book, so after it being so difficult for you and time consuming for me, the least we could do is say why we found it that way.

Jannick saw the video and the dead wife was communicating with Cindy - the reason he shut down the research project was because he couldn't see the work Jaycee had done replicated, but he saw it in the video. He went to see Cindy because he seemed to think he finally understood how to communicate with her and was going to try to replicate it and re-open the project. However, due to lack of communication (between humans) it all went wrong.

I liked Arthur the horse best because he seemed to be the most well-rounded character. A PitA.

I feel sad that a book with such a good, and important, message wasn't better done. I recommend The Last Coin by James Blaylock if the theme appealed more than the book itself.

Old 03-22-2020, 01:24 PM

Thanks NYCR, you always have great input. I am not that great at putting my thoughts in writing. But I do enjoy reading different books. Thanks for the Jannick explanation.

Old 03-22-2020, 05:28 PM

But your thoughts matter even if you think you don't express them well in print. People see different things in books and it's good to share viewpoints.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or