U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Rate the book
5 Stars 1 100.00%
4 Stars 0 0%
3 Stars 0 0%
2 Stars 0 0%
1 Star 0 0%
Voters: 1. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2020, 02:07 PM

2,745 posts, read 2,894,612 times

Advertisements

RBC = Random Book Club

FEBRUARY 2020

Title: Unsaid by Neil Abramson was the winning book for February 2020 that was selected in The Random Book Club Thread, as detailed here

Book type: Fiction; psychological fiction

From the description:

Quote:
In this USA Today bestselling debut novel, Neil Abramson explores the beauty and redemptive power of human-animal relationships and the true meaning of communication in all of its diverse forms.
As a veterinarian, Helena was required to choose when to end the lives of the terminally ill animals in her care. Now that she has died, she is afraid to face them and finally admit to herself that her thirty-seven years of life were meaningless, error-ridden, and forgettable. So Helena lingers, a silent observer haunted by the life she left behind-her shattered attorney husband, David; her houseful of damaged but beloved animals; and her final project, Cindy, a chimpanzee trained to use sign language who may be able to unlock the mysteries of animal communication and consciousness.

When Cindy is scheduled for a research experiment that will undoubtedly take her life, David must call upon everything he has learned from Helena to save her. In the explosive courtroom drama that follows, all the threads of Helena's life entwine and tear as Helena and David confront their mistakes, grief, and loss and discover what it really means to be human.
https://www.amazon.com/Unsaid-Novel-...0587164&sr=8-1

Book suggested by: phonelady61

Participating members:
  • phonelady61
This is phonelady61's world, we're just living in it.

Reading and nonspoiler discussion period: One month. This thread will be open for general commentary from its initiation. There are ways to talk about this reading experience and mingle about without revealing a single spoiler. We are all learned here. Use your judgement. Think of this period like one would a movie preview, where members can post to keep up interest and help each other stay motivated by updating us on their progress.

Spoiler mode: When all participating members check in as having finished the book or one month has elapsed, to be determined by the first day of the following month, whichever comes first, spoiler mode will officially be unlocked and we will begin a full discussion of the book. This is automatic and will not require an announcement. Firm. However, life happens and it is understandable that events may occur that will prevent a participant from finishing the reading in the time allotted. If a participating member has not finished the book after one month, it is recommended that they avoid this thread until they can catch up, and then they can come back and add commentary as necessary. The group will be here to welcome them. If a participating member (a) can't finish the book, (b) decides not to finish the book, (c) can't get the book, and/or (d) is unable to buy the book, then no harm, no foul. Kindly let us know so we can open up the discussion earlier, and we hope to see you back at the club thread for a future installment.

Supplemental: Random Book Club members, please keep in mind that City-Data is a public forum and that anyone will be able to respond to this thread.

Future: Although the time period for reading and discussion is being done monthly, this thread will remain open to future commentary, much the same as any other on the forum.

Happy reading everyone!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2020, 10:33 AM

57,629 posts, read 4,257,957 times
I have started the book, & I am unsure how much of it I will read. I find some of the subject matter disturbing. The Chimpanzees etc. I will read a bit more & then decide. It is well written, though.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:23 AM

4,042 posts, read 1,856,943 times
I also haven't finished, but am still reading. I guess we have time to finish and discuss as this month is kind of "off." Just don't forget April suggestions before the end of March.

Old 03-02-2020, 07:47 PM

How about if we give it a week? Then we can either discuss it or discuss how scary it was to finish.

Old 03-07-2020, 10:38 AM

Ok, I am still in the early stages of the book, I have my RL book club on Monday & need to finish that book, this weekend. I should be finished with "Unsaid" by the end of this week. But discuss away, I won't come back till I have it finished.

Old 03-09-2020, 09:23 AM

I'm still reading when I get the chance, which is not often the last few weeks, but I will finish in March and discuss.

Old 03-14-2020, 01:31 PM

They closed my workplace so I'm finishing this book this weekend and we're going to discuss it before the month ends. I'm past halfway.

Get your April picks ready before they close the libraries.

Old 03-15-2020, 09:55 AM

I am not sure if I will finish this book, I am finding it tedious & slow going. I just can't feel it. I am about a third of the way through. I will continue to the half way point & then decide if I can finish it or not.
Re April, I thought we were going dark in April?

Old 03-15-2020, 12:24 PM

No, we were going dark in March, or I was, because of two classes and my job, all now cancelled. PhoneLady is out this month for surgery and next month for a trip. If you need to be out in April, let me know.

I'm 90% through and going to finish. We can discuss whenever you're ready this month and if you stop reading, we'll discuss what you read.

Old 03-15-2020, 12:33 PM

Oh Ok. I will plod on for a while
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or