Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-17-2020, 07:06 AM

3,687 posts, read 2,408,199 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I finished Persuader (2002) a few weeks ago. It was one of the few I hadn't read, and I had to buy it at Barnes and Noble since my library didn't have that one. I couldn't put it down, although many of Child's books are like that. They're great for escape reading. (FWIW, I did not read the Reacher series in order.)

https://www.publishersweekly.com/978-0-385-33666-6
Cheers, CA4

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2020, 07:47 AM

37,315 posts, read 59,832,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slamont61 View Post
I've read every one of them. I would consider myself a huge Lee Child fan. When I read about his brother taking over it made sense. Got to be hard to crank out story after story using the same character doing the same things and staying relevant. In a sense it does seem like a good idea to try and maintain a seamless flow while keeping a franchise alive. Guess the editor will be kept busy looking for flaws in the mix or for cracks in the foundation.

A am also looking forward to the (cable series) based on the Reacher stories.
I don’t think this will work really
Look at Dick Francis’s son trying to take up his mantle—

Haven’t read any of the brother Andrew Child’s novels but I would think while the books might be enjoyable reads they are going to be different —-

And I don’t think Child is doing it as a favor to his readers but to his bank account...
A franchise like this is money in the bank...

Old 02-21-2020, 10:17 AM

22,913 posts, read 28,249,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
I've never read any of Lee Child's books.

If anyone can give me their opinion (I'm an adult, late 40s) please chime in.
I haven't read them all. I have read maybe three or four. I don't get the love. They're okay. Not bad. Not great.

The books Child wrote in third-person are the best. But on some he switched to a first-person POV, which I found very offputting and weird for Jack Reacher. Jack never struck me as particularly chatty. "Yeah, I'm a tough as nails vigilante. The strong silent type. So let me tell you all the intimate details of my life..." Just strange. Tough guys don't generally make particularly good first-person narrators.

If you're looking for this "kind" of book --- vigilante helping people in need --- then I actually think the Peter Ash books by Nick Petrie are MUCH better than Lee Child's books. Start with THE DRIFTER.

If you're just looking for straight up adventure/thriller type fiction, then C.J. Box puts them all to shame. Start with OPEN SEASON. Jack Reacher has nothing on Nate Romanowki. Nate could beat Jack to pulp with a wet fish and still be home in time for dinner.

Old 02-21-2020, 10:28 AM

11,230 posts, read 9,308,278 times
It's funny to take a 6 foot 5 inch bruiser described as scary looking and have him portrayed by a pretty boy so short he's got to have a box to stand on for his love scenes with his female co-stars.

Old 07-02-2021, 04:27 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
I just started Lee Child and Andrew Child's The Sentinel. It's been hard to put down.

Jack Reacher Works Alone. That Doesn’t Mean His Author Has To:
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/10/25/b...k-reacher.html

Old 07-04-2021, 07:30 AM

4,430 posts, read 2,703,329 times
So the Jack Reacher series is so thin and formulaic that someone else can crank out essentially the same product?

Old 03-16-2024, 07:11 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
I finished Persuader (2002) a few weeks ago.
This novel is going to be the basis for season 3 of "Reacher" on Amazon Prime.

https://ew.com/reacher-season-3-base...suader-8549339
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books