U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-12-2020, 09:09 AM

Location: Lakewood NJ/Murrells Inlet SC/ N. Naples FL/Swainton NJ
3,520 posts, read 5,391,046 times

Advertisements

My newly acquired Echo Earbuds came with a three month subscription to Audible. I chose "Watchers" by Dean Koontz as my first free book. Since I scheduled a drive from NJ to SC and back (11 hours each way) I listened to most of the book in the car.

I have read many of Dean Koontz's books and liked most of them. My experience with Watchers via audio was that I think I would have enjoyed it more by reading. I did not like the flavor the narrator gave to many of the characters and I think I would have pictured them differently in my head if read.

Anyway what are your opinions on and experiences with audio books? While it works for times I cannot read a physical book or on my Kindle, I personally do not see it as a major way for me to enjoy novels and will probably cancel after the three months are up........
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-12-2020, 09:17 AM

8,157 posts, read 7,584,110 times
My company pays for a subscription for my sales team. We think it’s a great way to work on personal development while they are on the road. There are a ton of great business books on there that are far easier to consume while on the road. I’m a fan.

Old 02-12-2020, 10:20 AM

9,965 posts, read 6,406,673 times
Nonfiction audio puts me to sleep. Not a good thing on the road. I need the suspense and excitement of fiction if I'm going to be listening for 11 hours.

I find Audible's selection of titles seriously lacking, so I refuse to be a subscriber. I hate their one-credit-per-month system.

Old 02-12-2020, 11:34 AM

5,313 posts, read 4,037,932 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post

I find Audible's selection of titles seriously lacking, so I refuse to be a subscriber. I hate their one-credit-per-month system.
I'm really curious as to what titles you would want that Audible doesn't have, and if you have been able to find them elsewhere?

And what system would you prefer for purchasing audiobooks at a reduced price?

Old 02-12-2020, 12:44 PM

As I said above I don't think I will continue the Audible subscription. But a question for those who have used the service for awhile:
My daughter is a long time user and has collected a bunch of books on her Audible/Amazon Prime account. Our family share program allows to share Kindle and Audible books. I understand that if you cancel the subscription the books you have collected are still yours to keep. My question is will the Audible app still work after cancelling and allow me to continue to listen to books she has collected?

Old 02-12-2020, 12:50 PM

10,709 posts, read 11,958,736 times
My wife has been using Audible for several years. She likes it, although you're right that the experience can be enhanced or diminished by the quality of the narrator. It's also an issue that it takes her longer to get through a book, even at a higher speed, than it takes me to read the same book.

I think their selection is quite good. We're in a book group and it's very rare to find that a book we have selected is not available on Audible.

I've listened to audio books while driving, but I would have a hard time just sitting at home and listening to books.

Old 02-12-2020, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
As I said above I don't think I will continue the Audible subscription. But a question for those who have used the service for awhile:
My daughter is a long time user and has collected a bunch of books on her Audible/Amazon Prime account. Our family share program allows to share Kindle and Audible books. I understand that if you cancel the subscription the books you have collected are still yours to keep. My question is will the Audible app still work after cancelling and allow me to continue to listen to books she has collected?
You may be able to sign out of the app and resign in using your daughter's info, and all her books should be there. She should also be able to go through her app and "share" a book with you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I think their selection is quite good. We're in a book group and it's very rare to find that a book we have selected is not available on Audible.

I've listened to audio books while driving, but I would have a hard time just sitting at home and listening to books.
I agree about the selection. If there is a book I would like but Audible doesn't have, I have found that typically no audio book was ever recorded. This is a publisher's decision, and doesn't have anything to do with a Audible. In fact, Audible now has its own in house production and is recording books that have not had viable audio versions. Two authors I can think of whose work Audible has recently brought to audio are Mary Stewart and Rosamunde Pilcher.

I personally don't like to listen to books while I drive, but I listen at bedtime, while working out, and while doing household chores.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:01 PM

I just started listening to "The Women in the Window" by A.J. Finn from my daughter's collection (and one she recommended) while I did my 40 minutes on the rower. I like the narrator a lot better than the Watchers narrator.

Old 02-12-2020, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmozer View Post
I just started listening to "The Women in the Window" by A.J. Finn from my daughter's collection (and one she recommended) while I did my 40 minutes on the rower. I like the narrator a lot better than the Watchers narrator.
If you listen long enough (I've been an Audible member for 10 years), you will learn which narrators you love and which you don't. I have selected books or avoided books based solely on the narrator. Some of the narrators I've particularly enjoyed include:

Julia Whelan
January Lavoy
Simon Prebble
Richard Armitage
Simon Vance
Therese Plummer
Nicholas Boulton
Alex Wyndham
Bianca Amato
John Lee
Tom Hanks (yes, that Tom Hanks)

I do prefer male narrators or women with deeper voices. You'll eventually find who resonates with you. Don't forget that on the app you can slow down or speed up the narration.

Old 02-12-2020, 03:53 PM

3,827 posts, read 2,356,099 times
I got audible for my son a few years back, who insisted he could listen to books better than read them visually. The investment hasn't really paid off as far as he goes. But I've ended up with a fair number of books in my library. I vastly prefer reading the paper book to listening, but I have found that if I have both formats, I can finish a book much more quickly if I listen to some of the chapters when I'm doing things where I otherwise could not be reading (mostly things like driving in the car, or some light household activities like chopping vegetables for a recipe or folding laundry, etc.)

It is highly dependent on the narrator, and I have had instances where I have found that my mind wanders off and I realize I have no idea what has happened in the book for some unknown period of time.

I have found, though, that when an author narrates the book him/herself, that has been a benefit, and I've found that comedians who have written books are especially good -- two of my favorite audiobooks ever were Trevor Noah's book Born a Crime, and Al Franken's last book before the scandal (which I still highly recommend).

I just finished an audiobook called The Next Pandemic, which I thought was pretty good. I prefer listening to nonfiction books, rather than novels. Maybe because they can be more akin to podcasts or radio shows (like NPR has), which I've often listened to in the car. I prefer to have my own imagined "voice" of the characters when I'm reading a novel. I think there is too much that can influence interpretation in novels that will vary depending on who is narrating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluffythewondercat View Post
Nonfiction audio puts me to sleep. Not a good thing on the road. I need the suspense and excitement of fiction if I'm going to be listening for 11 hours.

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgirlinnc View Post
I'm really curious as to what titles you would want that Audible doesn't have, and if you have been able to find them elsewhere?

And what system would you prefer for purchasing audiobooks at a reduced price?
I'm also curious. I don't think I've ever searched for a book on audible and not found it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or