U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-21-2020, 07:47 PM

11,098 posts, read 10,238,371 times

Advertisements

The cover artist died. I was at a used book store not long ago and couldn't believe my luck in finding a pristine copy of the whole trilogy in the Ballantine edition.

Barbara Remington, Illustrator of Tolkien Book Covers, Dies at 90
Her work for the 1965 paperback editions of “The Lord of the Rings” and “The Hobbit” achieved mass-cult status. But she hadn’t read the books when she got the job.

Though the covers of the first editions of “The Lord of the Rings” had illustrations by various artists, including Tolkien himself, the ones that Ms. Remington created for the paperback versions published by Ballantine Books were the ones that achieved mass-cult status in the 1960s, particularly on college campuses.
“Ballantine was in a hurry to get these books out right away,” she said in an interview for the literary journal Andwerve. “When they commissioned me to do the artwork, I didn’t have the chance to see either book, though I tried to get a copy through my friends."
“After reading his work, I was in awe of Tolkien,” she said. “I knew there was something special about him. If I read ‘The Lord of the Rings’ first, I don’t think I could have drawn the cover art.”

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/ba...90/ar-BB106iLh

https://www.gizmodo.com.au/2020/02/b...kien-has-died/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2020, 04:47 AM

2,546 posts, read 771,733 times
My introduction to Lord of the Rings was the early '80s issue.

But here are the ones you're reference, just so everyone can see:

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books