U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2020, 05:03 PM

11,095 posts, read 10,233,999 times

Advertisements

In case you like your novels to be "relevant" you might enjoy these. The link will give you a little capsule on each, but I copied the titles, in case you have problems with the link.

Your Quarantine Reader
Fearing the worst? Writers have been doing that for centuries. Here are the best pandemic novels.

If the constant news and updates are making you anxious, consider one of these novels or stories. You wouldn’t be alone: Publishers are reporting booming sales for books whose fictional plots revolve around pandemics, including Albert Camus’s “The Plague” and Ling Ma’s “Severance.” And while many of these books conjure an all-out apocalypse, you might find comfort in dipping into a fictional worst-case scenario — and, with some of them, seeing how the characters make it out alive.

‘The Andromeda Strain,’ by Michael Crichton
‘Cold Storage,’ by David Koepp
‘The End of October,’ by Lawrence Wright
‘The Masque of the Red Death,’ by Edgar Allan Poe
‘The Passage,’ by Justin Cronin
‘The Plague,’ by Albert Camus
‘Station Eleven,’ by Emily St. John Mandel
‘Severance,’ by Ling Ma
‘Zone One,’ by Colson Whitehead

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/12/b...sultPosition=1

7 Essential Books About Pandemics
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/24/b...pgtype=Article
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2020, 06:25 PM

2,522 posts, read 766,876 times
For a book that touches on the proceedings of an apocalyptic plague but is set some years after in the depopulated world that follows, I highly recommend The Dog Stars by Peter Heller.

https://www.nyjournalofbooks.com/book-review/dog-stars

Old 03-21-2020, 06:41 PM

3,787 posts, read 2,323,486 times
There is a new novel coming out at the end of April -- a novel by Lawrence Wright. Mostly he's written nonfiction, and I've read that. I don't know if this is his first novel, but it sure seems timely. It's called The End of October.

OH, I see that one was on your list. But it's not out yet.

I read one years ago -- maybe 2007 or so. A novel that took place during the 1918 flu epidemic, I think in Washington state. I can't remember the name of the book, though. I recall I had a lot of reading time, and this was for a book club, and I also read The Great Influenza right after it, and before the book club. I'll have to see if I can find it -- this was prior to my joining goodreads, so unless I find the physical book, it may be hopeless.

Wait - not so hopeless after all. Found it by googling. The Last Town on Earth.

Old 03-21-2020, 11:28 PM

5,256 posts, read 7,438,045 times
I’ve had Year of Wondersby Geraldine Brooks on my TBR list for years. Brooks is one of my favorite authors. Now, might be an appropriate time to read. A seventeenth century English village quarantines itself to quench the spread of the plague

Old 03-23-2020, 03:42 AM

10,824 posts, read 6,886,556 times

Old 03-24-2020, 04:50 AM

2 posts, read 475 times
It should be considered as the best thread of recent times. Nowadays, we can not spend a day without thinking about the coronavirus epidemic. Recently, I read two books about coronavirus. One is "The Coronavirus Prevention Handbook" by Wang Zhou. You will get 101 tips to prevent the spread the virus. And the other is "Stories of Courage and Determination: Wuhan in Coronavirus Lockdown". The book is about the battle of the Chinese against the virus. It contains articles and reports from a broad range of media, recording stories, courage and determination. I am pleased with the books and you can also buy them. If you want more recommendation, you can visit https://www.onlinebooksreview.com/ar...na-virus-books

Old 03-24-2020, 04:59 AM

3,993 posts, read 1,561,012 times
For perspective on the current epidemic The Great Pestilence (pub. 1893) The Great Pestilence (A.D. 1348-9), Now Commonly Known as the Black Death - Free Ebook

For those unaware, this Guteneberg.org site is a great, free source for all older works, many obscure and rare. Search the site by author, title or just plug in a subject or location. Many also available as audiobooks.

Old 03-24-2020, 05:01 AM

34,335 posts, read 35,059,003 times
For those holding at a NYC system library card, the NYPL is limiting electronic materials to 3 per cardholder.

Old 03-24-2020, 08:14 PM

2,516 posts, read 4,137,586 times
Honestly, COVID 19 is 24x7. Why the h*** would you also want to be reading about the apocolypse or plages or similar calamities in your leisure reading? To me, books for coronovirus days are escapist that help you get away from it for a moment because it's assaulting us from every directions. I'm reading completrly escapist fiction about werewolves and vampires, but Vistorian literation, Westerns, romance novels or any number of things fit the bill. Why not go to fictions that doesn't reinforce anxiety?

Old 03-24-2020, 08:20 PM

987 posts, read 406,948 times
https://www.vanpraagh.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books