U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-02-2020, 02:28 PM

6,726 posts, read 7,522,533 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Am I the only one that has noticed this ? i mean come on 8.00 for a used book ? I dont think i will purchase any books from them until this nonsense is over with . I abhor price gouging .
You received fairly accurate responses to your post. I buy and sell books on Amazon. They are mostly ones that I or my family have purchased. Much of the used book business on Amazon is for textbooks. If you check the prices for fiction books, you will find many books selling for $0.01 plus the $3.99 shipping charge. Large resellers can still make a profit on a $0.01 purchase price based on the $3.99 shipping charge.

Tiny resellers like myself can't make money on selling a book for less than $5.00. For example, the Amazon fees on an $8.00 used book would be $4.59. Amazon would reimburse you $11.99 - $4.59 = $7.40, but you still have to pack the book and pay postage. It sometimes costs me more than $5.00 to mail a heavy book.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2020, 03:53 PM

11,235 posts, read 3,404,111 times
I am a fan of Better World Books. I probably have bought at least two dozen used books (novels and non-fiction best sellers) for $3.98 and NO shipping charges! (To be clear, BTW doesn't charge for shipping if it comes from their warehouse, but there are shipping charges if a book one orders is handled and shipped by a third party.)

https://www.betterworldbooks.com/

Old 04-10-2020, 08:50 PM

4,180 posts, read 4,149,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
I don't think Amazon sells used books. It's re-sellers (any average Joe) who sells their books THROUGH Amazon.

Several years ago Amazon bought Abebooks.com a very popular marketplace for used books. I go to Abebooks.com to check on prices and availability of books and choose the seller. Some of the sellers that have been mentioned here (like Betterworld) show up on Abebooks.

I will admit that once I find the book I want I get out of Abebooks and go directly to the seller to purchase (no use having the Borg get a cut)

Old 04-10-2020, 11:16 PM

11,218 posts, read 7,313,235 times
AbeBooks is my normal go-to for used books.

Old 04-12-2020, 07:29 AM

20,555 posts, read 7,029,765 times
Quote:
Am I the only one that has noticed this ? i mean come on 8.00 for a used book ? I dont think i will purchase any books from them until this nonsense is over with . I abhor price gouging .
Price gouging on food, water, medical supplies during a crisis is one thing, and it's wrong.

Raising the price on books during the same is capitalism. Don't like it? Don't buy!

Old 01-20-2021, 01:38 PM

2,579 posts, read 1,354,149 times
Quote:
As others pointed out it is resellers not Amazon. Look for used books from libraries though you often have to pay shipping. The thing to look at when buying used is does the price include shipping? You might find a lower price but then they charge $3.99 shipping and handling. For used books you might check a local shop but even there prices vary depending on age of book and demand.

New book prices have increased substantially including kindle books.

Watch out for those resellers who advertise a book for an outrageous amount. I have an author friend who found one of her books listed for $195. It goes for $4.99 on a Kindle and about $8-9 in print new.

Old 03-07-2021, 05:27 PM

12,237 posts, read 11,101,882 times
Quote:

The price is dependent on the cost of the new book and the condition. If it retailed for $40 and is in great condition, that's a good price.

However, I think we should all stay away from Amazon. Buy your books locally. Or through some place like Powell's, or the Strand, or ABE.

Old 03-07-2021, 07:56 PM

6,726 posts, read 7,522,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The price is dependent on the cost of the new book and the condition. If it retailed for $40 and is in great condition, that's a good price.

However, I think we should all stay away from Amazon. Buy your books locally. Or through some place like Powell's, or the Strand, or ABE.
Buying and selling books on Amazon is one of the best examples of an efficient market. The price listed for a book on Amazon is based on supply and demand. It actually has little to do with the cost of a new book, except that is usually the starting price of a used book. Some book sellers will often adjust their prices up or down on a daily basis.

A used book that originally retailed for $40 could be selling for $0.01 or for $50. This asking price would depend on supply and demand. Book resellers with high volume can sell a book for $0.01 + $3.99 shipping and still make a profit despite Amazon's high commissions.

I started selling books on Amazon around 2008.

Old 03-07-2021, 08:09 PM

1,276 posts, read 424,710 times
I see books on AMZN,new and used,no one talks about the fee AMZN charges,it is high,like 15% if you dont have a monthly subscription with them,
I am just glad to get rid of them,after printing shipping label,I may net 25 cents

Old Today, 03:33 PM

49 posts, read 5,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
The price is dependent on the cost of the new book and the condition.* If it retailed for $40 and is in great condition, that's a good price.

However, I think we should all stay away from Amazon. *Buy your books locally.* Or through some place like Powell's, or the Strand, or ABE.
I shop at the local bookstore. But I also use Amazon.

When I see a paperback I want, I go to Amazon. A used copy in GOOD condition is all I need, and I can usually find what I'm seeking for $7 or under, including shipping. That's well under the cover price that I'll be charged by a bookstore for a trade copy. The bookstore is great for browsing and discovering books I wouldn't discover online. I can also page through it and sometimes get a better sense as to whether or not I really want it.

And of course I also use my wonderful local Carnegie library.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books