U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-26-2020, 01:03 PM

14,480 posts, read 20,114,894 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one that has noticed this ? i mean come on 8.00 for a used book ? I dont think i will purchase any books from them until this nonsense is over with . I abhor price gouging .
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2020, 01:05 PM

17,335 posts, read 28,362,820 times
I don't think Amazon sells used books. It's re-sellers (any average Joe) who sells their books THROUGH Amazon.

Old 03-26-2020, 01:25 PM

8,287 posts, read 4,652,939 times
Those are third party sellers. Not Amazon.

Good prices, even on used items, come & go. I've seen a set of used Columbo tv series dvds go for $75 or $29, depending on the time of year.

When sells are down, prices get better to tempt us to buy, I think. When sells are up, like now, prices go higher. With Amazon & other online sellers, you have to be on your guard that you aren't overpaying. I always check another source what the regular price is.

I've bought used DVDs thru Amazon for years and had very good luck and very good prices. I haven't bought any used books in a while. They do seem to have gone up in price. I used to buy them at the stores of Half Price Books, but I moved, so I check its website (it also sells as a third party seller thru Amazon). The prices seem a little steep in the past year, so I haven't bought anything. It also depends on WHAT you're buying. The book, the category, the condition of the book, whether it's hard cover or paperback.

Old 03-26-2020, 03:34 PM

3,792 posts, read 2,326,317 times
All the books they sell used are via third parties and I've always found that costs vary wildly. Frequently, I find used books offered for sale at prices that exceed the new price on amazon (and on amazon via third party sellers). It could be that right now more people are buying the inexpensive ones.

Old 03-26-2020, 04:38 PM

2,542 posts, read 771,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Am I the only one that has noticed this ? i mean come on 8.00 for a used book ? I dont think i will purchase any books from them until this nonsense is over with . I abhor price gouging.
Eight dollars is a significant discount on a lot of non-fiction and trade paperbacks.

Anyway, supply and demand. I have no use for those gouging on necessary things like food or sanitizer, or - for example - plywood and bottled water when a hurricane is on the way. But books? I have no issue. I might be more selective in my purchases, but I'm not opposed to it on an ethical basis.

As has been noted, those are independent sellers and not Amazon.

Old 04-01-2020, 08:01 PM

88 posts, read 15,720 times
other places for used books besides amazon

try
https://www.bookfinder.com/

Old 04-02-2020, 08:08 AM

3,792 posts, read 2,326,317 times
I'm surprised at how much some people are willing to pay for used books. Generally, i don't really like used books -- I love new books and I like to keep my books pristine. I do look for the "like new" used books on amazon, and generally won't buy one that's categorized as any less than "very good." The only times I don't really care are when I need a book for a book club and the book is not one that I expect to like, so I don't want to pay much for it, and I'm not able to get it at the library.

But I am in the Book of the Month club and recently found they have sales groups on Facebook. The way the club works is you pay $14.99 per month and you can select a book, usually one of five that they offer that are typically new releases and often you get them at the very beginning of the month when the book isn't released until later in the month. Then you can get up to two 'add on' books for $9.99, which I think is a good deal for a hardback new (or even pre) release book.

But I see lots of people buying and selling these books in these facebook groups for as much as $12 each. I can't for the life of me understand why someone would pay $12 for a used book, especially when they can either get it for 9.99, or, in the case of books that have sold out, by that time, you can get the books for less than that at places like book outlet (which isn't even used, but remainders) or thriftbooks or other stores.

Old 04-02-2020, 11:34 AM

7,785 posts, read 16,211,859 times
If I have a choice for new or used AND there isn't much of a price difference, I will always choose new (particularly since used books are at least $3.99 to ship, compared to free shipping). But many of the books I am looking for only exist on the used market. I also search Powell's Books and ABE books (which Amazon bought a few years ago).

The problem with used books on Amazon comes in if you are looking for a particular edition of a book (for instance, Joy Of Cooking has several editions and people prefer certain versions). Often the used listing doesn't give the edition, or doesn't give the correct edition.

Also, some Amazon used book sellers use an automated price algorithm, based on what other similar books are going for, that sometimes causes insane prices.
https://www.wired.com/2011/04/amazon-flies-24-million/
The algorithm has since been tweaked a bit, but it still occasionally causes problems.
City-Data Terms of Service: //www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: //www.city-data.com/forum/faq/

Old 04-02-2020, 12:20 PM

4,851 posts, read 5,179,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustSomeGuy68 View Post
other places for used books besides amazon

try
https://www.bookfinder.com/

Yes, I've used Thriftbook.com several times with free shipping on 3 books.

Old 04-02-2020, 01:02 PM

8,287 posts, read 4,652,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Am I the only one that has noticed this ? i mean come on 8.00 for a used book ? I dont think i will purchase any books from them until this nonsense is over with . I abhor price gouging .
Depends on the book and its condition. For an old beaten-up Agatha Christie with several of her stories, in hardback...I actually might pay that. Hardbacks these days are pretty expensive.

I bought a number of Agatha Christie collection used books in years past. I'm going to look and see if the stickers are still on some, to see what I paid. This would have been over 8 years ago.

Okay, I looked. The stickers are still there. The used Agatha Christie collection books (where there are several mysteries in each book) were all hardcover and ranged from $2 to $10. The $2 ones were older & not in as good shape. Most were $5. The one that was $10 was in better shape & newer (all of the Poirot stories, so a lot of stories in that book).

I looked and found one that is one of the collection hardbacks I have (Murder on Board). I paid $5 years ago for an old used book in good shape. There are some for sale at Half Price Books online for about $6 to $8.

So I don't think books have gotten much pricier, if any. You don't expect to get rich from selling books!

I'd prefer to look at them in person at the bookstore, but there's not a big one in my current city. Online has shipping cost attached to it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or