Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2020, 02:58 PM

44,348 posts, read 20,051,946 times

Advertisements

When I was growing up, we had the 1956 edition of World Book Encyclopedia. I loved reading the books and learning about so many different subjects. They were beautifully illustrated. I have happy memories of devouring the books for hours on end, especially during summer vacation from school.

I wish we had saved the books. When my dad was dying, decades ago, he sold his house with everything in it, and I'm sure the World Book set was still there. What a shame.

Here's what our set looked like. https://www.ebay.com/i/223930711845?chn=ps

Moderator of Canada (and sub-fora), Illinois (and sub-fora), Indiana (and sub-fora), Caregiving, Community Chat, Fashion & Beauty, Hair Care, Games/Trivia, History, Nature, Non-romantic Relationships, Psychology, Travel, Work & Employment, Writing.

Old 07-01-2020, 05:49 AM
Status: "I have read 24 books this year!!!" (set 4 days ago)

438 posts, read 195,880 times
My mother bought the complete Encyclopedia Brittanica when I was a toddler. We still have it. Many of those details (on countries) are good to know for how those countries once existed, if that makes any sense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-01-2020, 06:10 AM

3,141 posts, read 1,597,542 times
Yes; we had a set of world book that I would use for looking up things. Also brings back memories of "Highlights for Children" subscription I had. As a young child loved getting this magazine in the mail addressed to me.

Old 07-02-2020, 01:27 PM

729 posts, read 532,180 times
Yes. Late 60s early 70s. hard to remember exactly.
What I do remember is getting a new book each month. Each book was a new letter. S and T each were split up into two books. By the time J and K came around, A and B were already outdated. Encyclopedias as complete sets were very expensive and so letter of the month were often used by families. I do not miss that encyclopedia. By the time we got all the volumes and the index, it was hardly used because of so many new things happening in the world. I am now too spoiled by the internet.

Old 07-05-2020, 04:14 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Yes. I loved to read them. Best of all, I had a set of wildlife encyclopedias. I've read every word in those many times.

I turned into a reader, but I don't think the encyclopedias had anything to do with it, because my sister has the same access to the encyclopedias and I'm not entirely convinced she can even read. She is just not interested.

Old 07-12-2020, 12:35 AM

2,518 posts, read 5,354,619 times
Yes, although I'd forgotten all about it until I saw this post. It was an 8 volume set of The Book of Knowledge, which my parents must have bought in the early 1950s. I used to enjoy dipping into them and reading things at random.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:21 AM

29 posts, read 12,183 times
Yeah and not the only one. I had a lot of books about cats, dogs, time, UFO, insects, even about the Kraken lol

Old 08-10-2020, 10:19 AM

2,707 posts, read 1,033,043 times
Yes. My parents owned the entire set and I remember taking one at a time and flipping through it, stopping and reading what I was interested in and continuing on, I did that several times a year. I was fascinated with information and is probably why I am full of information that my wife and kids say is pointless lol.

Old 08-11-2020, 06:59 AM

67,650 posts, read 60,875,858 times
Yes, we had the World Book encyclopedias, I believe, and there was roughly a volume per alphabet letter. They were bound in deep red leather or something like leather, with gold lettering.

My favorites were the overlays (in clear plastic) of the body systems of a) a frog and b) a human. Also the drawings of clothing over the centuries around the world! I used to sit and thumb through those for hours, poring over them. I also really liked the sections on Egyptology and mummies, and on planets (I think it had some sort of overlay as well). Oh and on different breeds of dogs and their "dog jobs."

Old 08-16-2020, 08:28 PM

8,270 posts, read 8,646,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Yes, we had the World Book encyclopedias, I believe, and there was roughly a volume per alphabet letter. They were bound in deep red leather or something like leather, with gold lettering.

My favorites were the overlays (in clear plastic) of the body systems of a) a frog and b) a human. Also the drawings of clothing over the centuries around the world! I used to sit and thumb through those for hours, poring over them. I also really liked the sections on Egyptology and mummies, and on planets (I think it had some sort of overlay as well). Oh and on different breeds of dogs and their "dog jobs."
We had the red ones too! I loved those books. Could hardly wait for the yearbook. Those came in white though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books