U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2020, 06:53 PM

11,095 posts, read 10,233,999 times

Advertisements

And did you enjoy it as much as I did mine? I had a child's version, which was great. Maybe more parents should be getting them for their children - better having it right there, rather than hoping that maybe the child will be moved to look it up on the internet.

And I like this from Bryan Stevenson:

“My great-grandparents were enslaved in Virginia, and my great-grandfather learned to read because he believed that one day he would be free. If you were living in the 1850s, you had no basis for that belief. When emancipation came, formerly enslaved people would come to their home every night and he would stand up and read the news. My grandmother said she sat next to him because she loved the power he had to help people. She was very literate even though she didn’t have a formal education, and she gave that to my mom, who was an avid reader. We were poor; I grew up in a rural community and we didn’t have a lot of things, but my mom went into debt to buy us a World Book Encyclopedia. I remember how strange it made us feel when the other kids had things like bikes and bats and watches — and we had the World Book Encyclopedia. It was a portal to the world.”

Books are also portals for Stevenson’s incarcerated clients. He says, “Reading provides a life of the mind that would otherwise be taken away from them. For some, it’s the only way they survive.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/23/b...stevenson.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 12:30 AM

2,517 posts, read 4,137,586 times
We had an Encyclopedia Britannica. I can'd recall how many volumes it was, but I remember having it. It was useful in some small cross-section of me growing up when I had progressed beyond having questions my parents could necessarily answer off the tops of their heads but were still fairly straightforward. But before too long those questions became more sophisticated and I couldn't find the answers in the encyclopedia, plus if the issue was scientific in nature it becane out of date pretty quickly, So while I have some fond memories of it, the encyclopedia in retorspect seems to be someting of an oddity.

Old 04-18-2020, 12:33 AM

20,871 posts, read 5,268,287 times
yes i had world book encyclopedia from the 50's or 60's or maybe the 70's and i would read it before we had the internet as a kid

Old 04-18-2020, 06:13 AM

1,331 posts, read 955,421 times
No, I did not, but I wish I had. I still look at my 1997 Academic American encyclopedia set on a regular basis. I wish I could update it again, along with my Hammond Citation atlas with census figures, but alas, both are out of print.

Old 04-18-2020, 06:33 AM

1,135 posts, read 901,992 times
Yep. I had Encyclopedia Britannica and Childcraft encyclopedias.

I LOVED Childcraft. I passed those on to my son before we lost them in Katrina. My two favorites were the one about space and the puzzle book.

Google is great and all, but I prefer a hard copy book. To “hold” all that knowledge in your hands, the smell of the pages, don’t have to worry about your internet going down...

Old 04-18-2020, 06:38 AM

12,006 posts, read 15,620,538 times
Yes, it also had the dictionaries, atlas, and a children's set of books about famous people and events that I thoroughly enjoyed. We got the yearly update books too. As an added bonus there was some sort of interactive learning aid that I thought was a lot of fun.
https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/Ud4AA...ZBb/s-l400.jpg
We didn't have a lot of money growing up but that's one thing my dad thought was super important, even going so far as to build a custom bookcase to hold everything. I wish I had thanked him for that before he passed away.

I kept them for my kids, but by then they had the internet at their fingertips and the encyclopedias never got much more use.

Old 04-18-2020, 07:26 AM

2,464 posts, read 615,990 times
Yes, I did. My father loved to go to auctions and would buy boxes of stuff. Happened to get a truckload of books one time which contained an older encyclopedia set.

I often looked at and relied on that encyclopedia for information (this was in the '80's).

Now I can't imagine any child, or even myself, using an encyclopedia with its limited information with the vast amount of information available on the internet.

Old 04-18-2020, 08:57 AM

4,020 posts, read 2,025,697 times
We had a brand new set of World Book Encyclopedias that arrived in the early 60's. I still remember my academic sister sitting down with the letter A volume the day they arrived and starting to read from the beginning. They were well used.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:07 AM

3,790 posts, read 2,323,486 times
I remember the library copies being the first place I went when I had some school assignment. I wished we had a set at home, but we didn't -- a few people I knew did, though. This was in the late 70s and early 80s. But we then took the set that my grandma had sitting in her basement and didn't want anymore, so we had a set from the 50s. It wasn't useful when it would talk about things like maybe one day man would go into space, etc. But they were interesting to look through. Now I kind of wish we still had those.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:12 AM

1,715 posts, read 1,134,887 times
Yes, we had them.
I remember using them when having to write book reports for school. We would get that yearly book to

I finally donated them to a boys and girls org., abt 15 yrs ago when i had to clean things up around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books