U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2020, 02:47 PM

1,173 posts, read 2,597,157 times

Advertisements

When one purchases a Kindle book, is there a fixed amount or certain percentage of the purchase price that goes to the author? Is the author able to access the names of people who purchased his/her book on Amazon?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2020, 03:11 PM

57,640 posts, read 4,257,957 times
I think they are paid, per page read, that is what google said anyhow. On kindle unlimited.

Anyhow. I imagine on Kindle books you pay for, it would be the same as if you buy a paper copy, as the prices seem similar.

Old 04-18-2020, 09:28 PM

3,789 posts, read 2,323,486 times
If the author self-published it on kindle, they get a good chunk of the money. The author can decide whether they want to participate in one of those specials where you get a book for $1.99 or 2.99. They often find it is worth it to bump up their sales and where they fall in a search. But they get more money if the book sells for more money.

If the author is published via one of the big 'traditional' publishing houses, they do get a certain amount, and that is determined in the contract they have with the publisher. I don't know if or by how much that varies depending on the format of the book -- i.e. kindle/audiobook/paper book.

I'm not sure how it works with kindle unlimited.

Old 04-19-2020, 07:49 AM

9,301 posts, read 14,525,105 times
Kindle Unlimited is different because you pay a monthly subscription and can read as many Kindle Unlimited books as you want. Since the reader isn't paying per book, Amazon can't really pay the author per book sale either. So paying them per pages read makes sense.

When paying per book, it looks like it depends. Self publishing with Kindle Direct Publishing appears to offer 2 different royalty structures - one that is 35% and the other is 70%. The book's pricing and availability must meet certain requirements to qualify for the 70% though: https://kdp.amazon.com/en_US/help/topic/G200644210

With traditional publishing, it depends on the author's contract with their publisher - but according to this author, ebook royalties are usually 25% (though can be as high as 50%), which is higher than the royalties they usually get for printed books because the publisher does not have any printing or shipping costs: https://www.alanjacobson.com/writers...of-publishing/

I would hope authors can't access the names or contact details of people who buy their books. Amazon undoubtedly has that info, and I'm sure they share non-identifying stats with the author, but sharing our personal details seems like it would be a breach of privacy. I'm sure their TOS covers this, if you can be bothered reading it.

Old 06-11-2020, 07:00 PM

31,934 posts, read 49,828,868 times
Big fight several years ago about the royalty received by authors via Amazon listings
Apparently they were unhappy with the price Amazon was setting
Hatchet was the publisher originally involved
Some authors books were not available on Amazon until it was resolved in Hatchett’s favor
Big name authors
Now you see the disclaimer the publisher has set the price of this book

Old 06-12-2020, 08:59 AM

306 posts, read 109,504 times
https://www.writtenwordmedia.com/kin...ted-royalties/
Kindle Unlimited payouts
"The payout for pages read has been around just under 1/2 a cent per page ($0.00488 per page to be exact) for over a year now."

Old 06-15-2020, 06:27 PM

7,133 posts, read 4,382,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happs View Post
When one purchases a Kindle book, is there a fixed amount or certain percentage of the purchase price that goes to the author? Is the author able to access the names of people who purchased his/her book on Amazon?
No, an author does not receive the names or other personally identifiable information on the purchasers. All he is told is how many units were sold (Kindle plus hard copy), how much was earned in royalties, and a breakdown of those royalties by the amounts in the currency used to purchase the book (i.e. dollars, euros, etc.)

Old 06-15-2020, 07:16 PM

17,335 posts, read 28,353,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
If the author self-published it on kindle, they get a good chunk of the money.
Is that new? When I self-published in 2013, I got pennies per sale. Literally pennies.

Old 06-16-2020, 09:20 AM

7,133 posts, read 4,382,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DawnMTL View Post
Is that new? When I self-published in 2013, I got pennies per sale. Literally pennies.
Authors who self-publish via KDP (Kindle Direct Publishing, which includes both Kindle and hard copy) are told how much will be deducted from each sale to pay for printing, distribution, etc. (It varies depending on how many pages the book is, what type of paper is used, etc.) For Kindles, this cost is set pretty low. The author can then set whatever price he wishes, and he will earn the difference between his price and Amazon's "take."

I've self-published two books, one in 2017 (when it was known as Create Space) and the other this year (on KDP). My royalties work out to be around $2.00 (give or take a few cents) per copy sold, either hard copy or Kindle.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books