U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Independence Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2020, 07:19 PM

11,095 posts, read 10,233,999 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I have actually always done this. I'm always straining my eyes to try to make out what books speakers have sitting on those shelves behind them.

I didn't see Yamiche Alcindor's room -- did she have empty shelves or was she just in a room that wasn't where her books reside? I would expect she would have books, unless she's a kindle devotee, and only keeps a few physical books.
I do it in movies!

Yamiche Alcindor's room was just surprisingly bare altogether. But even if she uses Kindle, wouldn't you expect that she'd acquired a lot of books pre-Kindle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2020, 05:43 AM

1,331 posts, read 955,421 times
I've long since reached the point where if I look at a bookcase full of books, not only do I expect to see books that I have read, I often find at least one book that I own.

Those pictures of doctors and lawyers in front of a bookcase full of medical books and law books, respectively? If that were me, I would slip in a book, say by H.P. Lovecraft, just to see if anyone notices.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:41 PM

3,789 posts, read 2,323,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
I do it in movies!

Yamiche Alcindor's room was just surprisingly bare altogether. But even if she uses Kindle, wouldn't you expect that she'd acquired a lot of books pre-Kindle?
I didn't see where she lives, but maybe her books are just in a different room, or the angle where she's sitting with the camera set up doesn't get her bookshelves in the frame. I've used Zoom a number of times, and it turns out the best location for me is at my dining room table, where the background is my living room toward my front door. So you don't see any of my books, even though I have hundreds of them.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:08 AM

1,331 posts, read 955,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
I didn't see where she lives, but maybe her books are just in a different room, or the angle where she's sitting with the camera set up doesn't get her bookshelves in the frame. I've used Zoom a number of times, and it turns out the best location for me is at my dining room table, where the background is my living room toward my front door. So you don't see any of my books, even though I have hundreds of them.
My Sunday School classmates see my bookshelves full of computer books. I have a desktop, so moving to another location is not an option.

Old 05-30-2020, 06:34 PM

1,653 posts, read 578,244 times
I could spend some money to build or buy better shelves. Sometimes I see shelves and other useful items in thrift stores but they're used by the stores to display junk. I may someday make an offer for unpriced furniture.

Old 06-07-2020, 06:38 PM

11,095 posts, read 10,233,999 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bayarea4 View Post
Lucky you! That would be my idea of heaven on earth.
Excuse me, but any of us can have any book we want from a library, without needing to be married to a librarian. That's the wonderful thing about libraries.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books