Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2020, 08:01 PM

15,507 posts, read 6,425,885 times

Advertisements

Seriously, I don't have a picture since this is on my laptop but I was rereading A Dance with Dragons after some six years to get a better grasp on the smaller details (I just finished rereading a feast for crows).

It was getting super good but I left it on my couch downstairs for a second to go get something, but when I was gone this little rascal called Pepsi (he is a small black and tan cavalier spaniel) was chewing on the book cover.

He had torn off the paper for the hardcover edition and chewed at the stems holding the papers together. I don't know how he got it into his stomach (he is a midget dog) but he did it anyways.

This was my original copy of the book I got when I was a freshman in High School and now its ruined. The pages are still together and I'll stand by my despise for e-books, but I am very sad

This happened literally a minute ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2020, 12:19 PM

3,493 posts, read 7,930,200 times
He's an over-achiever! Most dogs just eat homework!

Old 07-08-2020, 07:23 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
How odd. Did you whale the daylights out of him? We never had a destructive dog - I'm not counting the one who ate a cake off the dining room table.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
How odd. Did you whale the daylights out of him? We never had a destructive dog - I'm not counting the one who ate a cake off the dining room table.
I can be cruel to dogs when need be but when I first saw it my reaction was to take the book back in bring it upstairs.

By the time I faced the dog he had forgotten all about it so if I punished him it would mean nothing to him.

His puppy eyes and innocence don't work on me. People, especially Americans, have a tendency to project their own emotional fragility onto dogs.

They may be naive but they are not innocent, they too are very selfish beings.

Old 07-08-2020, 08:12 PM

23,259 posts, read 18,764,714 times
It could be worse.

I once adopted a wildcaught imported toucan from clueless owners (yes, it was legal...just a dumb decision). He was as big as a raven with a 16" beak, almost 3' wingspan, wild as a March hare (the copies of the vet records his previous owners sent me showed a temporary name of "Psycho"), aggressive, and could take out your eye from 2 feet away. Don't get me wrong. Toucans can make lovely affectionate pets...if they are hand raised from chicks. Toucans are also parrot smart. They learn and don't forget...anything. They don't have much in the way of bite pressure; nothing compared to a parrot, but they sure can shake things and bash them against perches, rug, walls, and furniture. They only eat fresh fruit and one specific type of proprietary zoological pellet. His favorite fruits were fresh papaya, mango, cantaloupe, and blueberries. Lots and lots of fresh blueberries. Year round including in January...in a tiny town in SE Alaska. What goes into a toucan comes out in about 10 minutes in a much less attractive formulation.

After sharing a house with this monster for several years he was finally calm enough to hop peacefully around the room, shred cardboard, whack stuffed cat toys on the floor, and carry parrot bells and other soft objects around without destroying too many of my possessions. Wrestling with bungee cords could amuse him for hours. Sometimes I could sit reading and he'd hop onto my legs, poke his head/beak over the top of my book or magazine and gently nibble on the edges of the pages. It seemed so innocent and frankly, endearing. I had the bright idea of giving him paper bags to shred. Bad idea. Very very bad idea.

I had just spent several days working on my income taxes that were more complicated that year for several reasons. There was a stack of forms, references, and financial statements on the side table next to the couch. I was sorting laundry in the other room when things got ominously quiet. Then I heard the unmistakable sounds of shredding paper. At first I thought he'd just re-discovered a forgotten Safeway bag hiding behind the couch.

A while later I went back into the living room and saw shredded office paper scattered all over the carpet and the couch. Statements, completed tax forms (that hadn't been copied yet), filing references. What wasn't shredded was covered with dark blue/purple stains. Basically illegible. Things I only had one copy of. The keys on my calculator were purple, gooey and stuck. It was April 13.

The worst part of it was that I had done this to myself by teaching him paper was acceptable fun. Well, not that specific type of paper but you can't expect a toucan to be all that discerning. A dog may care about pleasing you. A toucan definitely does not.

Last edited by Parnassia; 07-08-2020 at 09:31 PM..

Old 07-10-2020, 02:05 AM

11,411 posts, read 5,960,793 times
You scared me.

I was expecting to read that you were writing your first novel and your dog shredded a bunch of pages of your original manuscript. Now that would be a real disaster.

Old 07-10-2020, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You scared me.

I was expecting to read that you were writing your first novel and your dog shredded a bunch of pages of your original manuscript. Now that would be a real disaster.
Luckily I keep what I write saved on my laptop or google drive so that wouldn't be possible.

Old 07-20-2020, 09:25 AM

29 posts, read 12,177 times
I have a funny story from my childhood. When I was 2, I ate about 3 pages of Steven King's novel. Feel like I'm a dog lol

Old 07-24-2020, 02:41 PM

5,651 posts, read 6,206,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor Blevin View Post
You scared me.

Oh good lord yes - that would be horrible!

OP, sorry for the bad luck! My dog is actually the best behaved with respect to destruction in my house. I have many books with nibbled spines thanks to rabbits and ripped off covers thanks tp cats. The dog is actually the one that so far has yet to damage any of my books!

Old 07-24-2020, 02:42 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
yep my dogs dont destroy anything in my house ever . guess im lucky or i trained them very well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books