Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-22-2020, 03:30 PM

11,082 posts, read 17,525,111 times

Advertisements

I saw a post on a facebook "for sale" page this morning, somebody had the first 6 books of the Hardy Boys for sale for $15. All books in almost perfect condition. Since I grew up reading the Hardy Boys I jumped on it. The books don't look like they've ever been opened and the seller said they more or less haven't been. They were like me, growing up reading them, and bought them for their grandkids to read. But, the man said, the grandkids weren't interested. "It's not digital! There's no screen!" I know this has probable been a topic before on here but I don't get to the book threads that often. But it's a shame kids don't know a good book when they see it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2020, 03:47 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,647,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
I saw a post on a facebook "for sale" page this morning, somebody had the first 6 books of the Hardy Boys for sale for $15. All books in almost perfect condition. Since I grew up reading the Hardy Boys I jumped on it. The books don't look like they've ever been opened and the seller said they more or less haven't been. They were like me, growing up reading them, and bought them for their grandkids to read. But, the man said, the grandkids weren't interested. "It's not digital! There's no screen!" I know this has probable been a topic before on here but I don't get to the book threads that often. But it's a shame kids don't know a good book when they see it.
I remember my mother taking me to an office supply store where they sold a few books and I picked up one of the Hardy Boys books. I remember it was The Hooded Hawk Mystery. The year was probably 1964 or 65 when I was 9 or 10. It cost $1.25, which seemed like a lot to me. I probably ended up reading around 75% of the titles before I outgrew them. I later found out the author wasn't a real person. The publisher hired teams of people to write the books. The authors changed over the years.

Old 06-22-2020, 05:12 PM

4,430 posts, read 2,702,684 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kygman View Post
As the previous poster mentioned, the Hardy Boys books* are assembly-line books and, not surprisingly, quite formulaic. While I think they're fine for kids, there's nothing commendable about them from a literary point of view. It's good when kids read, period. But there's much better stuff to be easily found.

Aside #1:
The same company that produced Hardy Boys also churned out the Nancy Drew books in the same manner, as well as Bobbsey Twins books and one series of books of which I read a few (because they were knocking around my grandmother's attic - they'd belonged to my uncles when they were kids): the Bomba the Jungle Boy series.

Aside #2:
For those who think that revisionism due to outdated racial attitudes is anything new, the Hardy Boys series was revamped, and past volumes re-written to eliminate racial stereotypes... in 1957.

Old 06-25-2020, 08:58 PM

3,726 posts, read 2,549,891 times
I'm a fan, more of the Nancy Drew series.. but I had some of both I inherited from my dad..
I liked the old Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys TV series too with Pamela Sue Martin. Good, corny classic..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books