U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-02-2020, 08:14 PM

11,227 posts, read 10,291,295 times

Advertisements

So many book stores gone.

Harry Hoffman Dies at 92; Led the Expansion of Waldenbooks
In a pre-Amazon world, Mr. Hoffman solidified his company’s stature as the No. 1 book retailer in the United States.

https://www.togiblog.com/2020/06/06/...f-waldenbooks/

Bookselling Visionary Harry Hoffman Dies at 92
https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/...ies-at-92.html
Quick reply to this message

Old 07-02-2020, 08:59 PM

18,672 posts, read 17,085,175 times
I remember Waldenbooks, Borders, and Crown bookstores so well, and how busy they all were. Just a huge and stunning loss.

Old 07-03-2020, 08:03 AM

3,826 posts, read 2,349,465 times
Waldenbooks was gone a long time ago. They used to be the only option for books and they were in EVERY mall in America. Then Borders and the B&N stores came along and just blew them away -- the selection was unbelievable. Then Borders and Waldenbooks were part of the same company, I believe -- I forget who bought whom, but there was some kind of common ownership. And then Borders expanded too much, too quickly, and went down the tubes, which was truly sad.

I have no real nostalgia for Waldenbooks. The stores were small, the selection was not big. Pretty much limited to bestsellers -- they weren't much better than the airport bookstores. They are typical of that bygone era. Really representative of the malls of the 70s and 80s. People didn't have nearly the selection of books or of anything else that's available to them now. I remember it was so exciting when the first Borders opened near me, because, my God - the selection!

Crown was nice because they discounted so much -- 40%! You could get a hardback for close to the price of a paperback.

Old 07-05-2020, 02:36 PM

18,210 posts, read 22,124,680 times
I feel for the people who lost their jobs, but I won't lament the passing of corporate chain bookstores. Bring back the independently owned and operated stores!

Old 07-07-2020, 09:03 PM

6,466 posts, read 9,811,398 times
My favorite bookstore ever was Krochs & Brentanos in downtown Chicago. Now that was a real bookstore and included textbooks as well as fiction, non fiction and some historical books too. I remember going there after meeting my Mom for lunch when she worked in the Loop. I think it was on Wabash St. near the "L". Good memories.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:08 AM

572 posts, read 220,278 times
I loved Waldenbooks. Their customer rewards program was the best. They packed a lot into small stores. I’m afraid the brick and mortar stores are dinosaurs.

Old 07-08-2020, 07:26 PM

11,227 posts, read 10,291,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagoliz View Post
Waldenbooks was gone a long time ago. They used to be the only option for books and they were in EVERY mall in America. Then Borders and the B&N stores came along and just blew them away -- the selection was unbelievable. Then Borders and Waldenbooks were part of the same company, I believe -- I forget who bought whom, but there was some kind of common ownership. And then Borders expanded too much, too quickly, and went down the tubes, which was truly sad.

I have no real nostalgia for Waldenbooks. The stores were small, the selection was not big. Pretty much limited to bestsellers -- they weren't much better than the airport bookstores. They are typical of that bygone era. Really representative of the malls of the 70s and 80s. People didn't have nearly the selection of books or of anything else that's available to them now. I remember it was so exciting when the first Borders opened near me, because, my God - the selection!

Crown was nice because they discounted so much -- 40%! You could get a hardback for close to the price of a paperback.
I agree, I wouldn't have any real nostalgia for Waldenbooks - except that it's part of the pattern of disappearing book stores. A large B&N in New York City recently closed.

Old Yesterday, 07:40 AM

18,913 posts, read 57,555,651 times
I only went to Waldenbooks a few times. The diversity of subjects just wasn't there, and the stores had more of the feel of a Christian bookstore with a vampire story department than Borders, with its larger selection.

Sadly the business aspect of brick & mortar bookstores dictates only giving space to categories that sell. That creates the same feedback loop that is the failing of social media. People choose what is familiar and of a similar voice, becoming less worldly rather than more. Once out of the major metro areas, online is often the only choice for those of us with eclectic tastes.

Old Today, 03:32 PM

8,842 posts, read 5,114,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harry chickpea View Post
Once out of the major metro areas, online is often the only choice for those of us with eclectic tastes.
I count myself extremely fortunate to live in a town with a first-rate independent bookstore which allows online ordering (with either local delivery or in-store pickup as options). While Amazon's convenient, I'm gradually shifting more of my purchases to this local store just to keep some options around.

May the brick-and-mortar independent bookstore never die!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or