Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-09-2020, 08:42 AM

5,114 posts, read 6,084,776 times

Advertisements

It seems that Tuesday is always the day that new books, especially mass market books , are always released. I assume that it is now just based on tradition and 'that is how we have always done it'. So is, or was, there a reason why?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2020, 10:11 AM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
It seems that Tuesday is always the day that new books, especially mass market books , are always released. I assume that it is now just based on tradition and 'that is how we have always done it'. So is, or was, there a reason why?

I don't know why but Tuesday is also the day new music albums 'drop'.

Old 12-10-2020, 07:56 AM

4,249 posts, read 3,719,577 times
Lots of things are released on Tuesdays. I think it has to do with shipping. After the weekend, traditionally, if things were shipped on the previous business day, Friday, they might arrive on Monday. So that gives the businesses time to unpack the books and display them, etc. on Monday so that they are ready for a Tuesday release. As a practical matter, I don't know that this really applies much anymore -- with faster shipping, etc., and the fact that many places will have boxes of books prior to that Monday the week of the release. (A place like Target has a lot of warehouse space to store books that can't be put out for another week, but a smaller bookshop wouldn't have that space, and prior to the big box and internet era, most of the shops were smaller places.) But I think, as you say, now that it was established, and had been the case for so long, it is easier to go with that momentum and keep the calendar consistent for planning purposes.

Old 12-14-2020, 04:10 AM

2,912 posts, read 1,247,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
I don't know why but Tuesday is also the day new music albums 'drop'.
This actually changed in 2015. Since July of that year new release day for music has been on Friday. However, you are correct as it had been on Tuesday for as long as I can remember prior to that.

Old 12-25-2020, 07:40 PM

1,854 posts, read 793,265 times
Didn't even know Tuesday was the day.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:12 PM

15,594 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidValleyDad View Post
I didn't know they were, and I somehow doubt it, but it's likely the release may have once been timed to accommodation the news media. Or maybe it's done in enough time to allow easy shopping plans.

Old 12-27-2020, 06:15 PM

68,327 posts, read 54,350,985 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furnier View Post
This actually changed in 2015. Since July of that year new release day for music has been on Friday. However, you are correct as it had been on Tuesday for as long as I can remember prior to that.

Not surprised I'm behind the times, still listening to vinyl and CDs , haven't moved on to the download thing.

Old 01-10-2021, 04:46 PM

518 posts, read 400,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Furnier View Post
CDs are back to Friday releases now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books