Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-16-2021, 07:52 AM

22,843 posts, read 28,072,415 times

Advertisements

I didn't much like King's CELL either. But worst book ever? Really??? It's not even Stephen King's worst book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2021, 08:24 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Wolf View Post
I think The Road richly deserved its Pulitzer.

I have no need for a happy ending to enjoy a work. It's the literary journey, not the destination, that appeals to me. That said, The Road is a story of a son's inherent goodness even while his father despairs and distrusts all strangers even as the boy reaches out to others in empathy. The end of the book validates both the man's protection of his son as well as the goodness within the boy. The boy's goodness is the father's redemption. The man's inevitable death is not in vain.

The worst book I've read? Beats me. They are soon forgotten. It is the treasures - like The Road - that endure in memory.
To each his or her own. It was, hands down, the worst book I ever read.

Like I said, I kept reading it because I kept thinking it would get better - the writing style was good. But yuck.

Hey, don't feel bad though - I also hated a movie that so many people loved - The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. Pretty much for the same reason.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:44 AM

15,966 posts, read 20,923,733 times
I couldn't even tell you the name, but ages ago I was stuck somewhere, bus station, motel room, I don't even remember anymore but I had an old used paperback about a cannibal family who lived in a cave on an island and would sneak over to the mainland to steal victims and eat them. Weird book, so horribly written it was actually funny.

Old 02-20-2021, 08:52 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
I couldn't even tell you the name, but ages ago I was stuck somewhere, bus station, motel room, I don't even remember anymore but I had an old used paperback about a cannibal family who lived in a cave on an island and would sneak over to the mainland to steal victims and eat them. Weird book, so horribly written it was actually funny.
Oh my gosh!

That sort of reminds me - I recently reread "Island of the Blue Dolphins" (NOT about cannibals) and it was absolutely as good as I remembered it being when I read it as a pre teen!

I wish you could remember the name of that horrible book! I found this, which makes for some entertaining reading anyway!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show...bred-cannibals

Old 02-20-2021, 08:59 AM

15,966 posts, read 20,923,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Oh my gosh!

That sort of reminds me - I recently reread "Island of the Blue Dolphins" (NOT about cannibals) and it was absolutely as good as I remembered it being when I read it as a pre teen!

I wish you could remember the name of that horrible book! I found this, which makes for some entertaining reading anyway!

https://www.goodreads.com/topic/show...bred-cannibals
Omg, thx for the link, the very first response was the book I read
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001C2ZQDQ...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

Old 02-21-2021, 03:12 PM

197 posts, read 123,075 times
Quote:
To each his or her own. It was, hands down, the worst book I ever read.

Like I said, I kept reading it because I kept thinking it would get better - the writing style was good. But yuck.

Hey, don't feel bad though - I also hated a movie that so many people loved - The Boy In The Striped Pajamas. Pretty much for the same reason.
I wasn't responding to your subjective dislike, but rather to your specific assertion that the book had no positive ending or redemption. It did, as I laid out. All the horrific trials of the man were validated by the survival of his son. And the innate goodness of the boy was validated when he found others, a family, to join.

The world is full of horror stories. Some people have survived the annihilation of their families, their entire ethnic groups even, their entire existence shattered, and soldiered on and found lives worth living nonetheless. That is the story of The Road.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:20 PM

14,201 posts, read 11,461,314 times
Quote:
One of my daughters had to read that in school a few years ago. She hated it; the whole class hated it. For one thing, they thought the little boy who was the main character was so impossibly idiotic that the whole thing became ridiculous. I think one problem was that the teacher did not explain that it was meant to be a sort of fable, not a "true-to-life" story.

Old 02-21-2021, 03:48 PM

22,880 posts, read 18,172,172 times
Books I was required to read (school assignments) but didn't find rewarding or enjoyable still probably had some redeeming qualities so the descriptor "worst" was simply my opinion. One that does stick out was Making of the President 1960. Required by a social studies class. I have minimal interest in political history, US bipartisan political history in particular. The book was tedious, uninspiring, and almost slavishly reverent of that past campaign. Happen to hate slavish reverence.

There was some outside context influencing (maybe bolstering) my opinion of the book. The class took place in the fall of a national election year. On top of the book, we were also supposed to pick one of the candidates and follow their campaign; collect newspaper clippings, articles, speeches, and discuss them. None of the candidates seemed worth the attention that would require so I made the conscious decision not to, and was dutifully handed the only D in my entire educational career. The worst part was sitting around the family dining table after report cards arrived trying to justify the grade to my parents. Surprisingly, because I actually did have an explanation they halfway accepted it. Maybe they didn't happen to like the candidates followed in the book or current campaign either.

I can't recall ever sticking out a "worst" book to the bitter end if reading it was voluntary. Like anyone else, I've started reading a number of books and found them terrible. Either the writing itself, plot, characters, whatever. Usually I'll start flipping through the remaining pages to see whether things improve. Usually not. The book is a lost cause. Life's too short to indulge in self torture and there are lots of palate cleansers sitting on my bookshelves.

Old 02-21-2021, 05:33 PM

22,880 posts, read 18,172,172 times
Quote:
Oh my gosh!

Some years ago I made a list of memorable books from childhood/adolescence and decided to find copies of the printings I would have read at that time. For most of them, the memory wasn't just the content, but the book itself; illustrations, cover art, overall design, typeface, even the scent of the paper. So evocative.

My mother was a serious book lover who brought home wonderful quality hardbacks for her kids to discover on a regular basis. She also took several to author/illustrator book signings and had them inscribed to the kid who would most likely love that book. I still have mine. Found more "children's books" when the family house belongings were broken up after both parents were gone. My sisters and I picked out the ones that had been "ours" and donated the rest.

Reading these rediscovered editions has been a surprising pleasure. Island of the Blue Dolphins was one of them. They now live in a glass-fronted heirloom bookcase that always used to hold our few small family antiques: great grandparent books, inscribed bibles with birth and death notations, trinkets, coins, medals, framed photos. We always had to ask permission to open that bookcase with its little key to touch those objects. I don't have a lot of family heirlooms besides that bookcase, those few books; a crazy quilt, a few small mementos. The bookcase isn't locked these days, but their new home seems to carry on the family tradition. Very fitting.

Last edited by Parnassia; 02-21-2021 at 05:48 PM..

Old 02-22-2021, 10:48 AM

22,843 posts, read 28,072,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milo Wolf View Post
I wasn't responding to your subjective dislike, but rather to your specific assertion that the book had no positive ending or redemption. It did, as I laid out. All the horrific trials of the man were validated by the survival of his son. And the innate goodness of the boy was validated when he found others, a family, to join.
Sure. But the ending is still rather bleak.

McCarthy does a great job of showing the realities of what a global nuclear winter would look like, even if he never outright states it. Throughout the story, the ONLY forms of life left are a few scattered humans (surviving largely on leftover preserves they can scavenge or by cannibalism) and lice (living off the humans). That's it. Everything else is dead. It hardly paints an optimistic future for the boy. He survived, yes, but for how long?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books