U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-22-2022, 02:00 PM

1,217 posts, read 710,611 times

Advertisements

What is a classic famous book you have never read until now much later into your adulthood? What do you think of it?

I had never read East of Eden. Now in my late 30's I finally started it. When I saw how thick the book was, I thought I would never finish it as it would be too long. But man was I wrong. This book is amazing, and has me hooked. I find myself excited to finish the work day to keep reading it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-22-2022, 03:05 PM

3,085 posts, read 2,521,976 times
Oh, East of Eden is wonderful!

The classic I most recently read for the first time is Bram Stoker's Dracula. An amazing book.

Old 03-23-2022, 08:43 AM

1,217 posts, read 710,611 times
It is, although I will admit I am finishing the first 1/4 of the book and the part that I am in has me less engaged. But I mean to be expected with a book that long!

Old 03-25-2022, 06:55 AM

11 posts, read 2,974 times
I loved both East of Eden and Grapes of Wrath. This year I am tackling Crime and Punishment- a little bit each month.

Old 03-27-2022, 07:08 AM

4,292 posts, read 3,555,051 times
I too read East of Eden probably within the last year or so and kept thinking it lived up to the hype!
I will try to remember a few more.
Great topic.
I remember reading Anne of Green Gables a few years ago for the first time, and had never read it or seen the movies and I adored it as well.

Ok another classic that I had not heard of (but the rest of the world was well aware)- Three Men In a Boat

Old 03-29-2022, 08:33 PM

5,231 posts, read 5,484,319 times
It's a really good question. I'm in my 50s and I have tried to read the classics I wasn't otherwise assigned so I think there aren't many I've missed through the years, but there are some gaps. One is East of Eden, and also Gone With the Wind. I feel like I've covered much of the "canon" with respect to classic English literature, but I have gaps in American and continental European literature and without question I haven't read nearly what I should in Asian, African and Latin American literature. I've read some of the most popular (internationally) of the Latin American writers such as Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende but I know I'm just scratching the surface, and I've only read a small portion of the Asian and African classics. There is so much out there; I can only hope to get to half of it.

Old 04-23-2022, 09:23 AM

13 posts, read 3,694 times
Last month I read Great Gatsby and I found it very interesting. I don't know why it takes me so long to finally read it.

Old 04-28-2022, 07:52 PM

14,026 posts, read 13,114,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkertinker View Post
What is a classic famous book you have never read until now much later into your adulthood? What do you think of it?

I had never read East of Eden. Now in my late 30's I finally started it. When I saw how thick the book was, I thought I would never finish it as it would be too long. But man was I wrong. This book is amazing, and has me hooked. I find myself excited to finish the work day to keep reading it.
I haven't read East of Eden, but I must say I've come to appreciate Steinbeck more than I ever expected.

Old 06-19-2022, 12:26 PM

1,162 posts, read 2,343,807 times
I discovered Henry James' The Bostonians recently. Although the book may not pass modern standards of political correctness (or maybe favors stereotyping), James' elaboration of the internal world of his characters is extraordinary. Based on my experience of his work, I am planning to read The Portrait of a Lady as well.

Old 06-19-2022, 01:23 PM

100,475 posts, read 8,420,990 times
I read East of Eden a few years ago & loved it. I have 'The Sun Also Rises' (Hemingway) on my kindle but have not started it yet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books