U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2022, 07:15 AM

13,927 posts, read 20,971,076 times

Advertisements

I just finished up a book called New Girl in Town, by Olivia Knight and it was just horrible. It is supposed to be a crime novel about 2 FBI agents solving a a series of kidnappings of young girls. I have to say it is probably one of the worse books I ever read. I'm not expecting everybody to write like James Patterson ( I loved his Michael Cross books ) but at least make an attempt to do some sort of research before writing a crime novel. The book was unbelievable from beginning to end. Imagine trying to read a recipe and the creator of the recipe forgets to list the main ingredients. Just wow, that was a really frustrating read. lol.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2022, 07:09 AM

3,377 posts, read 7,364,184 times
I have read a few books that I ended up not liking, but appreciated the writing or for some reason, was intrigued enough to keep going. The Dinner by Herman Koch comes to mind. It was dark and depressing and left me feeling frustrated and hopeless.

But the very worst book that stands out for me was My Little Blue Dress by Bruno Maddox. The cover was lovely and I'm sure that is what drew me in when I bought it in the airport bookstore before a long flight. It is the story of a modern day male writer trying to fake a memoir of a 19th century young woman in England. By the time that I figured out that it was supposed to be bad (references to pedicures and open toed sandals and sex in the bushes at the fair....) I was stuck with it as my only reading option and was NOT happy. It was really dreadful. The "joke" just didn't come together quickly enough and I felt snookered!

Old 08-02-2022, 07:19 AM

13,927 posts, read 20,971,076 times
When you roll your eyes every 5 minutes you know you picked the wrong book. Lol

Old 08-02-2022, 07:46 AM

11,588 posts, read 21,148,445 times
I don't remember any titles. One book was so bad that I threw it in the recycling bin to save anyone else from having to read it. I'll give a book 30-60 pages and, if I am not into it, I will jettison it for something else. I used to force myself to finish a book, but not anymore. Life is too short to spend it reading bad books.

Old 08-06-2022, 08:02 PM

28,696 posts, read 12,228,633 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pinetreelover View Post
I have read a few books that I ended up not liking, but appreciated the writing or for some reason, was intrigued enough to keep going. The Dinner by Herman Koch comes to mind. It was dark and depressing and left me feeling frustrated and hopeless.
My book club read The Dinner. It was a bit of a gut punch, but well-written. We all liked that the entire story took place during the time frame of a dinner in a restaurant.

But yes. Dark.

Old 08-07-2022, 03:24 PM

64,106 posts, read 53,027,648 times
I know that liking or disliking books is subjective so I don't usually throw a book away, I just donate it instead. However, I did throw away a coupla books recently. They were 1) It's OK That You're Not OK by Megan Devine, and one other one that was honestly so bad I don't even remember the title! Oh, I do remember it now - The Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. Now, from what I can tell, these books are loved by some and hated by others. Well, I hated them both tremendously. The first one - I couldn't relate to at all because the basic premise was contradictory to my most basic beliefs. I do not believe generally that random things happen in our lives (not the big things and not many things we don't even consider to be big things). I believe personally that everything happens for a reason. I believe that we need to learn from things, and move forward, and make the world a better place every single day, not a worse place. So anyway, Megan Devine seems to believe in Random Land, so we were automatically not on the same page. With the second book, I expected to be able to connect with the writer because she lost her husband suddenly like I did, of a massive, first time heart attack. Well, come to find out, I related much more to CS Lewis' book "A Grief Observed" than to her book, because I guess once again - similar mindsets and belief systems. She doesn't seem to be dealing with grief, aging, etc. well - not then and not now. I can't relate to that at all. So that's my take.

I also hated hated hated The Road. I don't remember the author. I read the entire book hoping for some sort of revelation or redemption and there simply wasn't any. I was so depressed after reading it. Plus I felt like that was time incredibly wasted. Ugh.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:15 AM

24,199 posts, read 22,257,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
IThe Year of Magical Thinking by Joan Didion. She doesn't seem to be dealing with grief, aging, etc. well - not then and not now.
Didion died in 2021. She was definitely blunt in what she wrote. (As an article about her death stated, "Didion wrote prose as clean and precise as a steel blade: It cut, but only what she meant to cut.") I think that her husband's sudden death shocked her so much that she came off as insensitive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
I also hated hated hated The Road. I don't remember the author. I read the entire book hoping for some sort of revelation or redemption and there simply wasn't any. I was so depressed after reading it. Plus I felt like that was time incredibly wasted. Ugh.
Many would agree with you; I never saw how Jack Kerouac's novel was supposed to be inspirational.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:22 AM

2,326 posts, read 840,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Didion died in 2021. She was definitely blunt in what she wrote. (As an article about her death stated, "Didion wrote prose as clean and precise as a steel blade: It cut, but only what she meant to cut.") I think that her husband's sudden death shocked her so much that she came off as insensitive.

Many would agree with you; I never saw how Jack Kerouac's novel was supposed to be inspirational.
I think you're confused. The Road was written by Joe Penhall. It's a post-apocalyptic survival story.

Old 08-09-2022, 08:55 AM

2,326 posts, read 840,600 times
For me, the worst book I ever read was 50 Shades of Grey. This was back when the book was at the height of its popularity.

To me, the first 2/3 of the book was just...dumb. Dumb writing, dumb characters, poorly written. But I stuck with it because everyone kept saying how hot it was. The last 1/3 did get fairly hot...but I've read better. I'm really not sure why the book was so popular.

Old 08-09-2022, 10:26 AM

24,199 posts, read 22,257,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SnazzyB View Post
I think you're confused. The Road was written by Joe Penhall. It's a post-apocalyptic survival story.
On the Road is by Kerouac; sorry!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books