U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2008, 07:59 PM

1,129 posts, read 2,525,811 times

Advertisements

Or, biography about someone's life that touched you the most when you read it. Name that book

I Promised My Dad- abook about the late Michael Landon. Written by his step-daughter.

Take Me Home-a book by the late John Denver.

One More Time- a book by Carol Burnett.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:32 AM

2,502 posts, read 8,276,264 times
Tuesdays With Morrie.

I think it's technically considered a memoir, but close enough.

Old 06-03-2008, 08:57 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,694,139 times
This has been a tough one for me, jadybug. I have wanted to respond to your question, but suppose I have avoided it for fear of sounding morose, or something.

I seem to be drawn to autobiographies of people who have struggled, often immensely.

Teaching World Literature, I looked forward every semester to Elie Wiesel's Night, and then went on to read his other autobiographical works, including Dawn -- he becomes the captor. That intrigued me to begin his Memoirs, divided into years of his life. I enjoy catching appearances of his, like when he so beautifully articulated the need to keep the story of the Holocaust 'alive.' He works with a worldwide teen group today, with that very goal in mind, and regardless of the times I read it, I am moved by his acceptance speech for the Nobel.

I had trouble sleeping after reading Loung Ung's First They Killed My Father: A Daughter of Cambodia Remembers. It is a childlike, but chilling narrative of the Khmer Rouge in 1975.

I also liked Jennifer Lauck's Blackbird on the loss of her mother and the complete un-hinging of her life; Joan Didion's The Year of Magical Thinking, a portrait of her marriage following the death of her husband (and her child) -- but I also liked her works, chiefly essays collected in We Tell Ourselves Stories in Order to Live.

Old 06-03-2008, 09:00 AM

5,357 posts, read 8,435,384 times
Lucky Man - Micheal J. Fox

This was hand's-down the best biography I have ever read - I guess it's really an auto-biography. I couldn't put it down. It's moving, but not depressing, honest, and inspirational. I recommend it to anyone looking for a good read.

Last edited by ontheroad; 06-03-2008 at 09:52 AM.. Reason: added brackets for boldface

Old 06-03-2008, 10:29 AM

2,214 posts, read 5,205,795 times
I'm still a fan of the Little House books! I think they're my favorite auto-biographies.

Old 06-03-2008, 07:17 PM

62,776 posts, read 44,868,485 times
I Could Never Be So Lucky Again by General james H 'Jimmy' Doolittle, Yeager by Chuck Yeager, and A Hostage To Fortune by Ernest K Gann are three of my favorites.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:07 PM

4,597 posts, read 10,694,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alicenavada View Post
I'm still a fan of the Little House books! I think they're my favorite auto-biographies.
Oh, yes! I had quite forgotten the stories of Laura and her Papa.

Old 06-04-2008, 04:20 PM

1,747 posts, read 2,779,922 times
Running with Scissors -- Augusten Burroughs. Not sure if I was *touched* but it sure was a fascinating (and in some cases, laugh out loud) read. I like his style.

I'm Dancing as Fast as I Can -- Barbara Gordan. Details her attempts to get off valium.

I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings -- Maya Angelou. A classic.

--------------------------------
(I hope it's ok to include memoirs).

Old 06-04-2008, 04:33 PM

203 posts, read 605,496 times
It's Not about the Bike-- Lance Armstrong-- a suggested read to anyone who has been touched by cancer

Old 06-06-2008, 08:41 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,349,451 times
I think that the first two autobiographies that I read as a young teen still have had the most profound effect on me.

The first was John Gunther's Death Be Not Proud about his 17 year old son's courageous battle with brain cancer.

This is closely followed by Helen Keller and Anne Sullivan and I no longer remember which of the her biographies I read. Helen Keller even wrote her own autobiography. As a teen I was immensely inspired by both of these women - and still am.

The courage displayed in Elie Wiesel's Night and Tuesdays with Morrie by Mitch Albom leaves one with so much hope and compassion for the trials of others. Both wonderful men.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or