U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2008, 10:58 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,022,045 times

Advertisements

Summer Reading Program

2008 Summer Reading - Barnes & Noble

Half Price Books: Feed Your Brain Summer Reading Program

Also, check your local libraries. Ours is giving free food, gc's, etc for reading books for grades k - 12!!!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2008, 06:24 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,799,663 times
our library always does a summer reading program. If you complete all levels, there are prizes involved. they even have a sign up sheet for grown ups. makes reading a little more fun for the kids.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:54 AM

4,728 posts, read 9,344,446 times
Default Encourage your children to read for enjoyment!

Thanks so much, nrkelly, for bringing this to our attention.

As a reading teacher, I generally see those children who are struggling readers. They do not know the meaning of reading for fun because it is to painfully difficult for them.

The wonderful thing about the summer reading programs that most public libraries, some school districts and now book suppliers and retailers are encouraging is that the children are not required to read a particular book or even read on grade level.

It's really a boost to any child's enthusiasm when the pressure is off, the reading is for fun, and their is a great reward at the end. I really appreciate the Barnes and Noble reading program. This is similar to our sons' school program in the summer. The readers kept a journal of books read, parents initialed the entries, and the children received a book or board game at the end of the 8 weeks.

One summer they offered a bike to the student who read the most books. I thought that was a little over the top because my concern with that was that children were not reading for enjoyment or the opportunity to earn a book of their own, but might be speed-reading or skimming just to accumulate large numbers of titles.

The idea is to get children behind a book instead of a computer or joystick, and help them to let their imaginations soar with a good read. They learn from our example, Mom and Dad. The gift we give our children by being readers ourselves is a gift that last a lifetime. What a wonderful dinner conversation to chat about everyone's current book!

Old 06-12-2008, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
As a reading teacher, I generally see those children who are struggling readers. They do not know the meaning of reading for fun because it is to painfully difficult for them.
My son was one of those students. He has dyslexia and it's always been a struggle for him to read. He's always hated it, and this year (7th grade) he was in misery having to do reading logs.

However, a few months ago, I started going to the library w/ him. We found some Hardy boys books that he actually kind of liked. Then on the Amazon books boards, someone suggested graphic novels to a mom of a teen boy. I went and found some for my son and he is in heaven. Last night MY son went to the library and came away with 6 or 7 books!!!!! I'm so thrilled! He's been reading like crazy and even asking to go to the library!

ONE MORE READING PROGRAM:

Here in Prince William County, it's not advertised too well, but there is a program sponsered by the school district. If kids read a certain number of books, they get 10% extra credit in their 1st quarter reading or English class!!! Prince William County Public Schools

Don't know if they have it in other districts.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:44 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,344,446 times
Smile Finding just the right genre can make a reader out of any child.

Finding just the right books of interest to your child will often be the only incentive they need to start reading. So what that it isn't Charles Dickens; the point is to garner an interest in the written word and infuse their reading skills.

That is wonderful that you followed that good advice and started with the graphic novels. I have a 30 year old who still goobles them up, but has expanded his reading interest to include all types of scientific writings, both fiction and non-fiction.

A whole world opens up to struggling students once they are able to read without difficulty. Up until that point they are not reading ideas, but simply strings of words. They concentrate so much on the interpretation of the letters on the page that they do not have a clue to what they are actually reading.

I am so glad that your son has become a reader. His confidence and range of interests must have been boosted way up. I'm glad that you persevered to help him find his reading niche.

I love that reading program from your school district. It is so much more challenging and enjoyable when kids are reading for a goal. Before they know it, they are reading for the sheer pleasure of the reading itself. Wonderful program.

Reading journals have their place and are a great tool for many students, but not too many teachers use them in a stimulating way. They should be fun for the students to write in daily, not a chore.

I liked to give my students things to look for in their week's reading (interesting quotes, ideas that they never heard before, the strangest characters, etc.) so that their journal writing became a Sherlock Holmes' sort of journal. It worked for almost all my readers. I would give them a different challenge of discovery each week and they often would come up with a great one that I hadn't considered before. Kids are very clever and inventive when given the opportunity!

Last edited by gemkeeper; 06-12-2008 at 02:46 PM.. Reason: Sorry for getting so long winded and kind of off-topic!

Old 06-13-2008, 10:52 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,799,663 times
our middle school uses the accelerated reading program. all students in 6 to 8 th grade has designated reading time at school each day after lunch. usually about 20 minutes. they read the books, and take tests to earn points. each student has a goal to meet each quarter. they usually receive a reward of sorts for reaching their goal. at the end of the year, the students who made their goal each quarter were treated to a pizza lunch. when the report cards came in the mail the other day, my son also received a $10 gift card for barnes and noble. it was a nice surprise.

Old 04-27-2009, 10:43 AM

2008 Summer Reading - Barnes*&*Noble

Here's the Barnes & Noble 2009 summer one.

It says 2008, but it's the new one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or