Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2008, 03:33 PM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
All the time. One of the best ways to find a book.

Wandering aimlessly in the library is definitely one of life's joys...
I totally agree. That's what I do when I'm at the library. I just aimlessly keep looking until something sparks my interest and curiosity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2008, 03:41 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,645,569 times
When I'm walking through the numbered section, I just pick up whatever seems interesting, and walk out with 15 to 20 books...with two weeks to read them all.

Old 06-20-2008, 04:21 AM

471 posts, read 1,508,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
When I'm walking through the numbered section, I just pick up whatever seems interesting, and walk out with 15 to 20 books...with two weeks to read them all.
I know, that time limit... ugh.

Old 06-20-2008, 02:21 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,545,305 times
What I love about our library is that they have a section towards the front with the library staff picks/faves. I almost always find books I love there!

Old 06-22-2008, 02:53 PM

508 posts, read 2,119,397 times
I do this often. Mostly in bookstores because my local library branch is rather small.

These days I have a list of book recommendations, some from friends, others from online and I've been slowly buying or requesting them from the library. Our library system will request a book from a bigger branch if they don't already have it. And I do that quite often.

I also scour the library sale tables a lot, so I haven't been borrowing as many books from the branch. I have too many books lined up to read these days.

Old 06-22-2008, 03:23 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjuel View Post
What I love about our library is that they have a section towards the front with the library staff picks/faves. I almost always find books I love there!
Redjuel, I love this idea. I think I will suggest it to my local library. When teaching reading I would always have a list of appropriate books for my struggling readers listed on a corner of the chalk board, as well as printed copies for each student.

This worked beautifully for them and the kids, themselves, often suggested a book that they read to be added to the list.

It works in a classroom; it is perfect for a public library. And, hopefully, librarians and library staff are well-read folks with plenty of treasures to offer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitalove View Post
I do this often. Mostly in bookstores because my local library branch is rather small.

These days I have a list of book recommendations, some from friends, others from online and I've been slowly buying or requesting them from the library. Our library system will request a book from a bigger branch if they don't already have it. And I do that quite often.

I also scour the library sale tables a lot, so I haven't been borrowing as many books from the branch. I have too many books lined up to read these days.
Vitalove, I am one of those readers who daily is starring at my pile of "To Be Read" books and it grows somehow!!

I seem to buy books faster than I can read the ones that I already own. Perhaps if I stayed home more rather than trotting off to my bookstore or library, I would get more of my lovely books read.

Whatever would we do without those used book carts at the library and at our local grocery store?

One of our grocery chains collects used books, sells them for a dollar and then donates the money to the local schools to buy equipment and supplies for those in need. It is a wonderful program.

Old 06-22-2008, 04:25 PM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
My branch library has the same feature -- the Staff's recommended reading. The books have been pulled from the shelves, and are there, together, along with a brief synopsis of the selections.

I checked the juvenile section, too, and the librarians had not only made recommendations, but in the teen reading group, were photos of some teens from the neighboring areas and HS, with their pictures and recommendations -- kids are such good little 'salesmen' themselves, you know.

Old 06-23-2008, 11:16 PM

4,725 posts, read 10,132,762 times
Smile It is wonderful when a student recommends a book to a teacher!!

RDS, I have always loved it when my students would recommend a book for ME to read. It always left me with a wonderful feeling of satisfaction knowing that this student had advanced to position of an active reader.

Since through most of my teaching career I worked with struggling readers, those that were well under grade level, and ESL students, to know that they were looking for books to read for their own enjoyment, and not to just fulfill an assignment, still gives me chills!

Ahhhh, success for me and the young one.

Old 06-24-2008, 01:20 AM

10,481 posts, read 25,279,380 times
I always find books this way...i just look until i find what looks interesting. And I always have a list of authors memorized in my head and just buy their books no matter what the title since they are great authors.
At the library, I do the same...just look until something looks interesting. And i have bought many books over the years just by the pretty covers. Most of the time i have done well, some books well...not so good. But you have to take chances in life.

Last edited by PinkString; 06-24-2008 at 01:22 AM.. Reason: meow

Old 06-25-2008, 08:27 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,446,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemkeeper View Post
RDS, I have always loved it when my students would recommend a book for ME to read. It always left me with a wonderful feeling of satisfaction knowing that this student had advanced to position of an active reader.

Since through most of my teaching career I worked with struggling readers, those that were well under grade level, and ESL students, to know that they were looking for books to read for their own enjoyment, and not to just fulfill an assignment, still gives me chills!

Ahhhh, success for me and the young one.
How very satisfying, Gem, when one of those struggling readers made a recommendation -- I know how you must have celebrated!

It occurred to me, unfortunately too late, the year I had to retire for health reasons, how much I might have enjoyed sponsoring a Book Club for HS readers. I know some of the kids would have signed up, as there were plenty in my English classes who carried books around with them, or who I would catch in the library before and after school. It was always fun to 'talk' books with them, see what their own personal tastes were, and be able to share titles.

Are you like me, and you miss it, even today? Some days I'd give almost anything to be back in the classroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books