Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:06 PM

1,079 posts, read 2,650,545 times

Advertisements

Can anyone recommend me some good books about cities? I'm talking more about specific cities, rather than cities in general.
One of the best books I've ever read was 'A Prayer For The City' by Buzz Bissinger. It's about the city of Philadelphia and the attempts by Mayor Ed Rendell to fix up his city.
I've been looking for something similar about pretty much any city in the country?
Thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2008, 05:39 PM

3,943 posts, read 6,373,752 times
Are you interested in non fiction books that were written around an incident that happened there? Or, where the city has been changed by laws in that city? True crime in a city? Or, where a city has been improved, which sounds similar to what you mentioned?

Old 01-11-2008, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess5 View Post
Are you interested in non fiction books that were written around an incident that happened there? Or, where the city has been changed by laws in that city? True crime in a city? Or, where a city has been improved, which sounds similar to what you mentioned?

I think any of these would be great: books written around an incident, where laws have changed a city, and especially where a city has been improved by laws, politicians, or by the public.
I know it's somewhat of a large range, but I am interested!

Old 01-11-2008, 09:03 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,626,809 times
"London the biography" by Peter Ackroyd . I thought it was an amazing literary tour de force and a great read too.
"City of Big shoulders, a history of Chicago" by Robert Spinney, a fascinating account of the Windy city.
And for an ancient classic "a History of Rome" by Livy.

Old 01-11-2008, 02:28 PM

That one about Chicago looks great - thanks!

I'm mostly interested in books about American cities. Again, thanks!

Old 01-11-2008, 03:24 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Two historical books I've read that might fit the bill. Both are kind of quirky but interesting.
Devil in the White City
It's about the 1893 World Fair in Chicago, all the changes that brought and what went on to get it built. There's a sub-story about a serial killer who was operating in Chicago at that time.
Amazon.com: The Devil in the White City: Murder, Magic, and Madness at the Fair that Changed America: Books: Erik Larson
They Saw the Elephant
Amazon.com: They Saw the Elephant: Women in the California Gold Rush: Books: Jo Ann Levy
About women's roles in the Gold Rush in general and San Francisco in particular. Fascinating book, uses diaries and letters home to tell the story.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:36 PM

313 posts, read 1,053,198 times
Forever by Pete Hamill is an amazing book about NYC. It has spans hundreds of years and it's a great story. (fiction)

Old 08-12-2008, 08:41 PM

4,108 posts, read 10,802,109 times
I'm currently reading a non-fiction called "South Bronx Rising" by Jill Jonnes. It spans from the beginnings of the Bronx in the early 1800s as small farming communities, to the rapid development after the "El" came through, through increasing black and hispanic immigration and white flight, "urban renewal", and the slow phoenix.

The "urban renewal" talks about the destruction of entire neighborhoods by public housing, vandalism, arson, and local authoritative apathy. Sickening, saddening stuff.

Highly recommend!

Last edited by EclecticEars; 08-12-2008 at 09:02 PM..

Old 08-14-2008, 09:20 AM

5,299 posts, read 8,255,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
Forever by Pete Hamill is an amazing book about NYC. It has spans hundreds of years and it's a great story. (fiction)
I absolutely loved Forever and several of his other books and essays. As a matter of fact, I just picked up his latest book, North River yesterday to read on vacation. The setting is 1934 in NYC during the Great Depression. IMHO, he is the ultimate authority on NYC.

Old 08-14-2008, 09:24 AM

883 posts, read 3,719,540 times
I loved Devil in the White City (about Chicago World's Fair & lots of other interesting things about Chicago, including a murderer).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books