U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-16-2008, 09:35 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,678,709 times

Advertisements

Yesterday afternoon, I found myself going up and down the shelves, from section to section, in the branch library near my home. It must have appeared I was wandering 'aimlessly' as two of the librarians approached me, with, "May I help you find something?" I wanted to say, "yes, please" but had no clue what it was I was even looking for -- other than something to read.

So, do you find yourselves in the same predicament?

I did not bother with the online card catalog -- I mean, what would be the point? I went to the library with an actual author/title in mind, and when that one was unavailable, another came to mind, and when that one wasn't on the shelf, it was as if I truly was l-o-s-t. I wasn't though.

I try to peruse the shelves like that, in the hopes I will stumble upon something -- literally -- that in other circumstances I might never consider. If I carry a list of books with me, then I feel obligated to check-out those, and see that as almost defeating the purpose.

Which brings me to my question: do you sometimes search the shelves of the library with nothing in mind, but hope to stumble upon something? Have you ever found a wonderful read that way? Do you do this in a book store, too?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2008, 09:48 AM

5,141 posts, read 10,548,114 times
I often do that. I do the same at book stores and have quite often found something that turned out to be a wonderful read. That is half the fun to me... stumbling around and looking for something to inspire me to read it .

forum rules, please read them

Old 06-16-2008, 10:08 AM

4,597 posts, read 10,678,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
I often do that. I do the same at book stores and have quite often found something that turned out to be a wonderful read. That is half the fun to me... stumbling around and looking for something to inspire me to read it .
Sometimes embarrassing when I am honest, and in response to someone's asking, "what made you pick this book?," and I say, "the cover."

Old 06-16-2008, 12:07 PM

9,483 posts, read 11,237,756 times
Yep, that's me, too! I just like to read books, the subject matter or author isn't always a criteria I consider. I just love to learn, and read interesting books. We are allowed 10 books, and I've often taken that many.

Old 06-16-2008, 03:06 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,525,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RDSLOTS View Post

Which brings me to my question: do you sometimes search the shelves of the library with nothing in mind, but hope to stumble upon something? Have you ever found a wonderful read that way? Do you do this in a book store, too?
Doesn't everyone?

Old 06-16-2008, 07:11 PM

500 posts, read 982,847 times
I rarely, if ever, find books in any other way. I never go in looking for a particular title, unless I'm mid-series.

'Tis like treasure hunting.

As for covers... I really think you can judge a book by its cover. Marketing folks spend lots of time and lots of money making sure that their cover art is evocative of the tone of the tome. This isn't 100% accurate, of course, but if the cover on a book sucks, you won't pick it up. It has to grab your eye somehow. After that comes the title and author and plot summary, etc. I really think that covers are the most important factor in whether or not a book will be picked up by a random prospective reader.

Old 06-16-2008, 07:50 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,337,264 times
Talking Oh, can you top this?

Oh, boy, is that ever me! It must have something to do with the part of the brain that controls "URGES".

Even when I go to the bookstore or library with a title in mind, happily find it there, I have a great deal of difficulty leaving without just a peek at what else might be there to quench my literary thirst.

My husband has a very interesting method to his reading madness.

When we were first married, in a time long ago when people actually "bought" encyclopedias, we could not afford to buy books. As a teacher, I was morally obligated to own a set of encyclopedias, however.

My DH starting with the "A" volume and over the course of many months finished his education with the "WXYZ" volume!

His book choices are very much the same today. He visits the public library once a week, sometimes twice, and has started with the "A" authors and is making steady progress through the stacks. I believe he is up to the "G"s. Wait, I just checked. He is in the "H"s with The President's Assassin by Brian HAIG and The China Prince by Alexandra HARNEY.

There is no bias in this man's literary selections. Everyone is fair game! Write a book and if your last name begins with an "H" or beyond, he will probably read your tome within the next year or so!

Old 06-16-2008, 08:30 PM

143 posts, read 520,125 times
I usually read all my current favorite authors until I've read either everything I can find of theirs or everything that's available - after that, I play eenie, meanie, minie, moe. How else to you find new authors to pour over and become obsessed with?? heh.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:10 PM

4,728 posts, read 9,337,264 times
Wink The forum suggestions hold some wonderful treasures.

SarahB, that is one of the things I love so much about the book forum. I have read, at least, 5 or 6 wonderful books in the past 6 months that I probably would not have gravitated to, but for an interesting post or two about them.

I have found that over the years, my reading has become very predictable. I have been reading from one or two genres, a few authors that I liked and not exploring beyond those parameters.

I am so grateful to a state forum buddy who suggested the Book Forum to me. You see, I hadn't strayed very far from my comfort zone even on City-Data.

Old 06-16-2008, 09:38 PM

2,628 posts, read 6,268,971 times
Dude, this is so true!
I used to do that a bunch- with not much luck! But one time I was in my university's library and I asked for advice from a librarian. She showed me this free service run by the state library system, and you search for a book you like, then it shows different plot tags- like "set in Alabama", "mystery", etc ranging from very specific to vague. You select what you liked about the book and it runs a search for other similar books. I've found some awesome books through this...
Follow this link and click "NoveList":

Digital Pipeline :: Alaska Library Network
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books