Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 08:36 AM

1,914 posts, read 7,154,006 times

Advertisements

So I have been thinking of getting a Kindle but after reading many reviews on their website and some of the cons I was thinking twice about it. Now, I get this email saying that B&N will unveil its own Ereader, much like the Kindle with its own wifi, etc, but you can SHARE books with friends, etc.
I think this may be a better deal. They are both priced around the same amount. Hmmmm....I love to read and I think this would make a great Christmas present to myself.

Nook, eBook Reader, eBook Device - Barnes*&*Noble
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 09:17 AM

19,563 posts, read 9,573,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR36 View Post
So I have been thinking of getting a Kindle but after reading many reviews on their website and some of the cons I was thinking twice about it. Now, I get this email saying that B&N will unveil its own Ereader, much like the Kindle with its own wifi, etc, but you can SHARE books with friends, etc.
I think this may be a better deal. They are both priced around the same amount. Hmmmm....I love to read and I think this would make a great Christmas present to myself.

Nook, eBook Reader, eBook Device - Barnes*&*Noble
I, too, have been pondering the idea of getting one of these "e-readers".
Reading through as much as I can about the new Nook. Still don't see anything about 'color visuals'. I don't care so much with paperback type books [most don't have pictures anyways], however, I've read that the user can also download magazines. For that, I prefer my visual experiences to be in colour. So, until then, I'm holding off.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:22 PM

157 posts, read 446,478 times
I'm excited to learn more about the Nook. I'm hoping they have some at the store so you can "test drive" one. I think it would be great option! We're swamped with books at home!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:25 PM

1,914 posts, read 7,154,006 times
According to their website, one can test drive the Nook at their store. I think I will do just that. Also, I don't plan on reading mags on the Nook. I prefer to see and feel all the shiny, colorful pages

Old 10-27-2009, 11:09 PM

225 posts, read 1,076,075 times
I am on the fence about this new format also. I really don't know enough about Kindle either to know whether this Nook is a good thing or not and I would probably do a test drive of it before deciding. Still the same, it would be hard for me to just give up my printed books. I kind of enjoy my own small personal library but hey - the times, they are a changin'. I just hope it doesn't happen "overnight" like CDs wiped out our treasured albums. This is one media where I do still like the "old fashioned method".

Old 10-28-2009, 11:58 PM

11,798 posts, read 25,209,307 times
I read too much on my computer display to want to read e-books. There is something about a real, printed-paper book which an electronic device will never equal.

Old 11-02-2009, 10:49 AM

19,563 posts, read 9,573,365 times
Anyone know if there's some kind of monthly fee involved?
If not, I noticed that downloading of e-versions cost about 5 dollars less than actually purchasing the paperback version. That may be an incentive
for some people.
It's nice when you're away from home and you've got more than 2 or 3 books that you would like to read at different times without having to physically carry the books around. There's times that I might want to do some heavy, serious reading in the morning - for instance, and something light and comical for the ride back home. Great for commuters.

I'm still undecided whether I'd go all out for the more expensive or go cheap. Then would it be Kindle or would it be the Nook ?

Old 11-02-2009, 12:32 PM

444 posts, read 800,099 times
i have been wanting one of these too. I'm worried that not all the "hidden" costs are out in the open yet. But I would love to be able to have the convenience of having this verses the piles of books I seem to amass at home next to my bed......

Old 11-02-2009, 12:38 PM

157 posts, read 446,478 times
It says that all of the airtime charges (to download new books) are on them so I don't think there are any additional fees - at least that I can find at this point.

Old 11-02-2009, 12:52 PM

4,530 posts, read 8,877,982 times
I will always use print for a large part of my reading time. It is pretty easy to stick a paperback in your pocket but these new fangled devices don't fit. So readin' and fishin' is out.

At least twenty minutes of my prime reading time is spent while on the throne. Try that with an electrical device and it might be shocking.

Another twenty minutes of reading time is spent at the table during breakfast, lunch or supper.What will coffee and bread crumbs do to an electronic device?

Naaaaw, I'll just stick with the old technology on this one.

GL2
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books