U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-10-2008, 07:47 AM

23,120 posts, read 37,287,715 times

Advertisements

He's Just Not That Into You was a hoot...I know a lot of women that need to read that book!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2008, 08:22 PM

508 posts, read 1,991,312 times
High Maintenance by Jennifer Belle was really good.

If i can think of anymore, I'll come back. I really enjoyed the Marian Keyes books, well the ones I've read.

Old 07-13-2008, 12:10 AM

3,724 posts, read 8,532,538 times
okay, these are sort of cross-overs, but there are some early ones by Elizabeth Ann Scarborough - The Gold Camp Vampire, and The Drastic Dragon of Draco, Texas. I'm pretty sure they are OP now, so you'd have to get them at a used book store. There's also one called Chicks in Chainmail, which is a sword/sorcery collection of fantasies - some of them are really funny, too, but I don't recall the name of the author. And a lot of Andre Norton is pretty much chick lit in it's way, especially the Witch World anthologies.

Old 07-13-2008, 07:26 AM

179 posts, read 407,094 times
Beverly Lewis' series about the Amish are pretty good.

Old 07-14-2008, 11:37 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,801,861 times
there are some light mysteries by Susan Wittig Albert. her character is china bayles and owns and herb shop. all of the books have some type of herb/plant theme to them. the friends and characters in the book are quite likable. As I said, "Light mystery" and buddy-oriented.

Old 07-14-2008, 07:55 PM

896 posts, read 4,007,440 times
I just read the Queen of Babble gets married (it's a trilogy) by Meg Cabot. It was a quick read and very cute. I'm currently reading Marian Keyes This Charming Man and it's the first time I've had trouble getting into her books.
Stuff I've read recently I liked:
Love the One You're With - Emily Griffin - nice what if novel-quick read
The Ex-Debutante - Linda Francis Lee - This book is hysterical!!!! I couldn't stop laughing
The Beach House - Jane Green - I've really liked some of her books and this one was interesting

Last-- The Year of Fog - Michelle Richmond - I randomly bought this at Target one day and found it to be heart wrenching.

Currently on my shelf to be read:
Chasing Harry Winston - Lauren Weisberger
Sleeping Arrangements - Madeleine Wickham (she's an English writer and her stuff has that dry British wit)

Not necessarily "chick lit" but on my list:
The Richest Season - Maryann McFadden
A Summer Affair - Elin Hilderbrand
Tribute - Nora Roberts - I love her and read every new one!
Where the heart leads - Stephanie Laurens - fun period romance novel

Can't wait for Breaking Dawn either cloudy_mae!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:01 PM

122 posts, read 486,256 times
If you are into books similar to the Shopaholic series and The Devil Wears Prada, I recommend these books:

The Little Lady series by Hester Browne (mentioned by someone before me), I love this series.

Something Borrowed and Something Blue by Emily Giffin. These are two of my favorite books. There is a third calledBaby Proof, but I haven't read it.

Anything by Jane Green: Jemima J, Swapping Lives, To Have and To Hold, The Other Woman

And my all time favorite White Oleander, by Janet Fitch.

I had to edit so I could add Motor Mouth and Metro Girl by Janet Evanovich. I loved both of these!

Old 07-17-2008, 09:19 PM

7 posts, read 23,157 times
anything by Jennifer Weiner or Emily Giffin

Old 07-17-2008, 09:23 PM

1,270 posts, read 3,847,045 times
I LOVE Jane Green & Kristin Hannah. I just recently discovered both of them, and have since read at least six of each of their novels.

Ooh, forgot to add Jane Porter. Her books are great too!

Last edited by mikenbacismama; 07-17-2008 at 09:25 PM.. Reason: addition

Old 07-17-2008, 09:31 PM

12,228 posts, read 16,794,842 times
When I took a creative writing course, my teacher said my style reminded her of some of the books published by Red Dress Ink. I signed up for their book club and they send me 4 a month. I haven't gotten one I haven't liked yet.

Sex, Murder and a Double Latte was one of my favorites. There's a sequel to this one.

I'll be honest, the plot's aren't really deep and the character's aren't really that developed, but if you just want something that's fun and easy to read in between folding clothes, praising drawings, defrosting chicken, getting Spiderman out of the toilet, etc they hit the spot

Last edited by nat_at772; 07-17-2008 at 09:39 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or