U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2008, 10:06 PM

128 posts, read 426,234 times

Advertisements

Lani Diane Rich is wonderful. Some of her books will make me laugh and cry at the same time. My very favorite is her first, "Time Off for Good Behavior." It's got the most flawed heroine in any chick lit I've ever read. Also wonderful is "The Fortune Quilt." I think I just love her voice. Sort of blunt and in your face covering up all kinds of caring and tenderness. It's a nice change of pace from some typical fluff.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2008, 07:14 AM

7,136 posts, read 11,480,105 times
You might want to try Janet Evanovich's books featuring a main character named Stephanie Plum. These books feature a number in their titles - One for the Money, etc. The books are easy reads that will make you laugh out loud. I am so thankful I found these books because I really needed some comic relief in my life and they provided that. Happy reading!

Old 07-19-2008, 10:40 AM

461 posts, read 1,362,874 times
I call Chick Lit "brain candy" sweet and fun. I Love Jennifer Crusie... but I'm not that into her new ones with that guy. Fast Women is great. You really can't go wrong with Jane Green (Jemima J is one of my all time favorite books), Janet Evonovitch, or Jennifer Weiner. I love Sophie Kinsella, she has other books outside of the Shopaholic series, Can you keep a Secret? is almost too funny. Dog handling by Clare Naylor is a lot of fun too. When I run out of stuff to read I like to put a book I love into Amazon.com search and bring up some of the lists that people make that include that book. I've found some great reads that way!

Old 07-21-2008, 09:42 PM

122 posts, read 486,106 times
Yesterday I bought Losting It by Lindsay Faith Rech, A Clean Slate by Laura Caldwell, and something else I can't remember Does anyone know anything about the two mentioned? For some reason I'm not that excited, but they were in the bargain bin so I figured why not?! Someone on this thread mentioned Red Dress Ink as a good publisher, they are all by them.

Anyone know when Emily Giffin's newest book will be in paperback?

Old 07-23-2008, 09:32 AM

5,384 posts, read 10,051,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by findinghope View Post
i am with you on Maeve Binchy. i love her!!!
i am reading 3 of her books now, simultaneously. i hope i dont read everything! i guess i will have to start over and re read. i read her books throughout my pregnancy. she always makes me wish i was in Ireland and great britain and or in the 1950's and 60's.
How do you do that? I end up getting the stories all twisted when I do that- especially if it is the same author... Personally, my brain can only handle one book at a time with my kids and schedule... I wish I could do that!

Old 08-02-2008, 09:32 PM

12,228 posts, read 16,780,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chisco34 View Post
Yesterday I bought Losting It by Lindsay Faith Rech, A Clean Slate by Laura Caldwell, and something else I can't remember Does anyone know anything about the two mentioned? For some reason I'm not that excited, but they were in the bargain bin so I figured why not?! Someone on this thread mentioned Red Dress Ink as a good publisher, they are all by them.

Anyone know when Emily Giffin's newest book will be in paperback?
I'm the one who mentioned Red Dress Ink - did you like the books?

Old 08-09-2008, 09:55 AM

193 posts, read 745,689 times
I have enjoyed many of the books mentioned so far, however the bulk of what I read would be categorized as romance & paranormal romances mainly. At least the lady at the local bookseller thinks these don't qualify as chick lit . The authors that I read most often (and when I can afford it I'll read 2 or 3 books a week) are Jude Deveraux (mostly newer stuff, but I've enjoyed every book she's written except for a very early one set in NM), Nora Roberts (prefer her trilogies, not a huge fan of her early harlequin stuff), P.C. Cast, Shana Abe, Jacquelyn Frank, Annette Blair, Lynn Viehl, Gena Showalter, and one of my most favorite authors, Katie MacAlister.

Old 08-10-2008, 08:23 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,527,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightwishfan View Post
I have enjoyed many of the books mentioned so far, however the bulk of what I read would be categorized as romance & paranormal romances mainly. At least the lady at the local bookseller thinks these don't qualify as chick lit . The authors that I read most often (and when I can afford it I'll read 2 or 3 books a week) are Jude Deveraux (mostly newer stuff, but I've enjoyed every book she's written except for a very early one set in NM), Nora Roberts (prefer her trilogies, not a huge fan of her early harlequin stuff), P.C. Cast, Shana Abe, Jacquelyn Frank, Annette Blair, Lynn Viehl, Gena Showalter, and one of my most favorite authors, Katie MacAlister.
There are certain authors I like and will read nearly anything by, and at times it's kind of fun to re-read their earliest stuff to see how they've developed in the practice of their craft. For the most part, I prefer the mystery/paranormal/romance kinds of things, but some of the writers are just plain funny and entertaining no matter what they write. I'd rather not name the ones I go back to the older 'flat, 2 dimensional characterization' works, they know what they've done and how they've progressed, and as far as I can tell, consider each and every book a learning step along the way. But I have to agree on Nora Roberts, though she's also done some excellent one-offs and family sagas, and a couple of - I don't think they are trilogies - sequel sets, like the one with Divine Evil in it. But I also think when one has written so many books, they tend to blur together after awhile.

Old 01-07-2009, 11:42 AM

168 posts, read 737,005 times
I agree with Something Borrowed and Something Blue - both by Emily Giffen. Her third, Baby Proof, is also a favorite of mine, although it's completely seperate from the people/story of the first two books. She also has another one called Love the One You're With, that i'm reading right now and it's awesome so far. I definitely recommend anything by Emily Giffen.

Old 01-25-2009, 08:01 PM

1,491 posts, read 4,795,178 times
JoAnn Fluke has a good series of light murder mysteries that are well-written but easy to follow.....young woman, small town, runs a bakery....every title is based on a bakery product (kinda hokey, I know)...Chocolate Chip Murder, Strawberry Shortcake Murder, etc .....there are a number of them. She works in done darn good recipes in them, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or