Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-12-2008, 07:52 PM

73 posts, read 276,994 times

Advertisements

I know these are teenage books but I am as hooked on these books as I was to Harry Potter, anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2008, 08:08 PM

2,473 posts, read 5,454,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JenLie View Post
I know these are teenage books but I am as hooked on these books as I was to Harry Potter, anyone else?

I never heard of these books, but it's funny, I still remember a book for teens I read when I was around 13/14 called "A Wrinkle In Time" by Madelaine L'engle. I can STILL read that book & love it every time!!

(must be the "child" in me...)

Old 07-12-2008, 09:43 PM

14 posts, read 69,296 times
yea im only a small bit obsessed with the series..i just finished new moon tonight actually, have you seen the movie trailer? its badass and comin out in december!

Old 07-13-2008, 01:06 AM

1,261 posts, read 4,271,698 times
*raises hand* I really like them, too. I read all three in less than a week last month. Can't wait til Breaking Dawn comes out on August 2nd. Then, of course, the movie.

Old 07-13-2008, 06:31 AM

73 posts, read 276,994 times
Is anyone going to a release party? My friend and I are thinking about going, I think we will be the only ones over 30 there but I think it will be fun.

I have only read Twilight. I ordered the rest from Amazon so I am patiently waiting for them to arrive this week. I also pre ordered Breaking Dawn from Amazon as well. I am really trying hard not to look at any spoilers until I get the other books read but I saw on Ebay some shirts that say "team Edward" and "team Jacob" so I am guessing something is going on there.

The movie looks great!! Again, me and my friends are planning a mom's night out already to go. The cast looks great which was a great visual while reading the book. Not sure if any of you have kids but mine like the movie Shark boy and Lava girl and Jacob and Sharkboy are the same actor, wow he grew up! And of course Edward is Cedric Diggory from Harry Potter, another wow he grew up!

Old 07-13-2008, 08:38 PM

do not read any spoilers! i did that on accident and it kinda ruined the beginning of new moon for me.. :[ but i still loved the book, i think its perfectly normal that people of any age read this series! The charactors are very mature and i think it takes a mature person to really understand them. It's such a wonderful story and i hope it all ends well...bella better end up a vampire thats all i have to say :]

Old 07-13-2008, 11:42 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,345,799 times
question: does this story bear any resemblance to the Buffy/Angel romance angst from Buffy the Vampire Slayer??

I've been meaning to pick up the 1st book, have had it recommended to me for months, but am not really found of romance stories, even when they involve fantasy elements (I HATED all the romance junk that was in Harry Potter!)

Old 07-14-2008, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eevee View Post
question: does this story bear any resemblance to the Buffy/Angel romance angst from Buffy the Vampire Slayer??

I've been meaning to pick up the 1st book, have had it recommended to me for months, but am not really found of romance stories, even when they involve fantasy elements (I HATED all the romance junk that was in Harry Potter!)
actually thats what i thought before i read the books, people had recomended them to me forever but i thought they would be predictable and stupid.
but there actually unlike any other series i have ever read!

Old 07-14-2008, 07:59 PM

895 posts, read 4,249,046 times
I was shocked when my husband pulled into Barnes & Noble, ran in and came out with a bag of books for me--the first three books in the series. He explained that they were a teenage vampire series but he thought I'd like them. Huh??? Since when did I like teenage vampire books? His response was that I liked Harry Potter and to try something new. I read the trilogy in one weekend. I was so depressed when I was done. Stephanie Meyer needs to write faster.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:34 PM

1,081 posts, read 1,647,573 times
My 13 year old daughter has been nagging me to read them for the longest time. She has had them since they first came out. I just read the first one last night and I loved it!! She loaned the second book out to a friend and offered me the third, but I'll wait to read them in order.

Funny, I never thought of the whole Buffy/Angel thing while reading this. Maybe because Bella is so different in that she is more of an ordinary (clumsy) teenager.

I'm almost 40 and I've had fun at all the Harry Potter events for book releases and would go to one of these releases in a heartbeat. To me, that's the real magic of books. When it's good, it doesn't matter what your age is, you just fall in love with it every time!

In this day of instant gratification, anything that gets kids reading is all right by me!

I think every generation needs their vampires! I had Anne Rice and The Lost Boys, next came Buffy and Angel, now Bella and Edward. Nice to see it continue!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books