Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:42 PM

5,673 posts, read 11,229,416 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphyre View Post
I actually created a list of 100 books to read in my lifetime so I've always got one of them on hand. Mostly classics like Jane Eyre, Grapes Of Wrath, To Kill A Mockingbird, Treasure Island, Little Women, etc. I read a few of them when I was younger but decided to read them again as an adult. I now read them with an entirely different perspective.
At the moment, I'm just starting The Adventures Of Tom Sawyer.
Wonderful idea Saphyre. I recently saw Steinbeck's "Of Mice and Men" on TV (excellent) and that spurred me to go re-read a few of his books. Great stories.

Also read some Hemingway books last year that I didn't hardly remember from school days in the 1960s.

Here's an obscure British author who wrote many books that I like, Nevel Shute. Recently read The Far Country, good story about adventures in Australia post WWII.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 01:44 PM

20 posts, read 54,593 times
Default love to read

I am with Saphyre. I lOOOOVE to read. I decided to go back to books from H.S. that I did not appreciate then. I just finished To Kill a Mockingbird, and am currently reading The Great Gatsby. I see them differently now that I am not forced to read them and write a paper on them . My favorite author has to be Nicholas Sparks. I have read all of his books and can't get enough of them

Old 01-31-2007, 01:55 PM

2,098 posts, read 6,316,517 times
By the way, I wanted to say, one of the best books I've ever read in my life is Lucky Man, by Michael J. Fox. It's his autobiography and it's fantastic. It's the only book that has ever made me laugh and cry at the same time (not a pretty sight). Even though I've always liked him and when I was younger I had that crush on Alex P. Keaton, I have so much respect for him as a person in general now that I've read that book. It's in my top few for sure.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:54 AM

143 posts, read 174,259 times
Yes, Nicholas Sparks' novels are wonderful....I recently can't get enough of Anna Quindlan...I usually go to the library and pick out a book...If I like it, I read every book by that author! I recently read Where The Heart Is by Billie Letts...very good. I also seem to follow Oprah's Book Club recommendations...I love memoirs..

Old 02-05-2007, 07:09 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,413,935 times
Question Reading

Lots of interesting TBR suggestions in this thread.

I want something lite--enjoy Bill Bryson--pithy, dry humor.
I enjoyed Peter Gethers--The Cat Who Went to Paris, The Cat Abroad--
and
Peter Mayle's --Toujours Provence and others
Frances Mayes---'Under the Tuscan Sun'

The film 'Sideways'.

(I like travel--houses, cooking, pets)

Any ideas of what I could read?

Old 02-05-2007, 08:01 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,789,073 times
I guess I am the weirdo here.
I loooove the drama queen, girlie trash books. All about shopping, meeting new men (and promply drumping them) and living life by the seat of their pants.
I am addicted to Jane Green (but she hasn't put out anything new in quite a while.)
"Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin are good reads as well

Right now I am reading "The Nine Month Plan" by Wendy Markahm. I haven't gotten that into it yet. But of the 10 or so pages I read.. it looks to be good.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:27 AM

Default I have The Book for you

Quote:
Originally Posted by poprocksncoke View Post
I loooove the drama queen, girlie trash books. All about shopping, meeting new men (and promply drumping them) and living life by the seat of their pants.
I am addicted to Jane Green (but she hasn't put out anything new in quite a while.)
"Something Borrowed" and "Something Blue" by Emily Giffin are good reads as well

Right now I am reading "The Nine Month Plan" by Wendy Markahm. I haven't gotten that into it yet. But of the 10 or so pages I read.. it looks to be good.

Have you read the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon.
Diana>>>
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabaldon/

sigh--Jamie. 18C redheided Highlander

Time travel, historical fiction and more---6 Big Books and we cannot wait for Book 7.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:45 AM

1,093 posts, read 3,789,073 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
Have you read the 'Outlander' series by Diana Gabaldon.
Diana>>>
http://www.cco.caltech.edu/~gatti/gabaldon/

sigh--Jamie. 18C redheided Highlander

Time travel, historical fiction and more---6 Big Books and we cannot wait for Book 7.
ooh, I will look into that one! Thanks

Old 02-05-2007, 10:12 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,081,464 times
Wow, nice to see more people talking about books!

My IPS was "down" this morning, so I've been...reading. Yay books.

Quote:
There are no "bad" books, to me. I think books are kind of like wine; it's all about what you like.

New on my book table this week (I go to my library about once every two weeks):

"The Dogs Who Found Me" by Ken Foster. Haven't started this one yet. Dogs (and cats, lambs, squirrels. etc) follow me home all the time so this looks right up my alley.

"The Soul of a New Cuisine: A Discovery of the Foods and Flavors of Africa" by Marcus Samuelsson. Samuelsson is the owner/chef of Aquvit (NYC). His life story is fascinating in and of itself. This is more of a "coffee table" book than a cookbook. Jawdropping photography. It's like a travel book and cookbook in one!

"Painting People: Figure Painting Today" by Charlotte Mullins. Excellent resource for those interested in contemporary painters.

I also am a sucker for thrift-stores, auctions and yard sales. I found the following books for 25 cents each (hardcover!):

Amy Vanderbilt's "Etiquette:The Guide to Gracious Living" (1958 ed). I collect vintage cookbooks and etiquette guides, so this was a find for me.

"The Graduate" by Charles Webb. Seen the movie hundreds of time, never read the book...hmmmm.

"How to Do Almost Everything" by Bert Bacharach (!!!!). Toooo amusing to leave on the table. Who knew Bert was a closet Martha Stewart??? If I make Bert's macaroni salad, I'll let you know how it turns out...

Annnd

"Yo!" by Julia Alvarez (I've already read "In the Time of the Butterflies" and "How the Garcia Girls Lost Their Accents").

"Long After Midnight" by Ray Bradbury

(ontheroad: do you believe in serendipity? )

Old 02-05-2007, 10:19 AM

Default Plaid Mom/List

You have some good reading ahead.

This one sounds 'just right'---
"How to Do Almost Everything" by Bert Bacharach (!!!!). Toooo amusing to leave on the table. Who knew Bert was a closet Martha Stewart??? If I make Bert's macaroni salad, I'll let you know how it turns out...
~~~

Have been planning to read--
'All Aunt Hagar's Children'
-Edward P. Jones

Set in DC--family saga

and could not be happier to learn that Bill Bryson has a new book--his memoirs

'Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid'
>>>>
http://tinyurl.com/yoedk8 (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books