Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2011, 03:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EEEPNJ View Post
I LOVE Beverly Lewis! I have not read any of Wanda Brunstetter's though.

I think they are lovely stories with a peek into al ife we don't know well. One where it's like a trip to the past, but not necessarily.

I have read all of Beverly Lewis's books waiting on her new book to come out in April...she is wonderful !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2011, 03:33 PM

2 posts, read 2,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjuel View Post
For some reason, for the past few years, I can't stop reading Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter's books about the Amish life. They are just so different than the books I normally read. I got my sister hooked on them too - she loves them as much as I do.

Right now, I'm reading Wanda Brunstetter's Sisters of Holmes County series and am on book one - A Sister's Secret.

Has anyone else read these type of books? If so, what do you think?
yes they are terrific I have read Sisters of Holmes county...just finished Wanda's newest book "Lydia's Charm" Excellent !

Old 01-28-2011, 04:16 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,317,167 times
The Amish and the Hutterites are very similar cultures. I recently read a nonfiction book titled "I Am Hutterite" by somebody whose name I can't remember. Mary Ann Kirkby (I looked it up).

It's the story of growing up in a Hutterite community in Canada and it's good.

I think there is something relaxing about both cultures. Yes, relaxing while you work yourself to death 24/7. The mindset is different. Even the work is relaxing, at least for them. I would hate to give up my naps and long periods of reading.

Old 01-28-2011, 06:24 PM

7,309 posts, read 9,319,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ketabcha View Post
The Amish and the Hutterites are very similar cultures. I recently read a nonfiction book titled "I Am Hutterite" by somebody whose name I can't remember. Mary Ann Kirkby (I looked it up).

It's the story of growing up in a Hutterite community in Canada and it's good.

I think there is something relaxing about both cultures. Yes, relaxing while you work yourself to death 24/7. The mindset is different. Even the work is relaxing, at least for them. I would hate to give up my naps and long periods of reading.
She has another book out that launched here recently. It sounds like it might be a book for children but I'm not sure. It's called Make a Rabbit. Mary-Ann Kirkby -- Book Launch - McNally Robinson Booksellers

She also has a blog: Mary Ann Kirby | The Official Hutterite Blog (http://www.hutteriteblog.com/tag/mary-ann-kirby/ - broken link)

Old 01-28-2011, 07:03 PM

513 posts, read 896,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by redjuel View Post
For some reason, for the past few years, I can't stop reading Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter's books about the Amish life. They are just so different than the books I normally read. I got my sister hooked on them too - she loves them as much as I do.

Right now, I'm reading Wanda Brunstetter's Sisters of Holmes County series and am on book one - A Sister's Secret.

Has anyone else read these type of books? If so, what do you think?
I've never read books from either author but I am very intrigued by the Amish culture. Thank you so much for posting, I am so excited to get reading

Old 01-31-2011, 06:30 AM

11,113 posts, read 19,535,926 times
Yes, they are so good. "The Secret", "The Prodigal", "The Shunning". She has a new one, "Thorns". I assume you have her website, if not:

http://www.beverlylewis.com/ME2/Sites/Default.asp (broken link)

Have you read, "Amish Peace" by Suzanne Fisher? Also nice to read, and keep on hand for re-reading. It is very inspirational.

Old 03-17-2013, 02:47 PM

1 posts, read 805 times
Default My Favorite Amish Christian Romances Author

OMG! I love Beverly Lewis and Wanda Brunstetter, too! And recently, I added Sarah Price to my list of favorite Amish Christian Romances authors.

The moment I flipped the last page of Sarah Price’s second book installment, “The Plain Change”, first thing I did was look for this forum and share how amazing the book is! The first book, “Plain Fame” under “The Amish of Lititz: The Plain Fame Trilogy” is awesome, you should get this book right now! I got mine through Amazon and you can use link below to order! Tell me what you think after reading the book because it totally flipped me!

[mod]snip[/mod]

Happy reading!

Hope to hear from you guys, soon!

Last edited by 7G9C4J2; 03-17-2013 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: deleted advertising link

Old 06-13-2013, 05:50 PM

1 posts, read 722 times
Default Abigail & Trent

I found this new Amish romance, ABIGAIL & TRENT, the beginning of a new series that adapts stories from classic literature into the modern Amish context. This first one is, clearly, ROMEO & JULIET, the the Old Order/New Order controversy separating the two young lovers. Great writing, great story (obviously), it's for Kindle and in paperback. I really liked it and I can't wait for the next installments.

[url=http://www.amazon.com/Abigail-Trent-Amish-Avalon-Volume/dp/1490394834/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1371072883&sr=8-1&keywords=Abigail+%26+Trent]Abigail & Trent (Amish Avalon) (Volume 1): Faith Brunell: 9781490394831: Amazon.com: Books[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books