Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 10:16 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,866,892 times

Advertisements

I have been an avid reader since I first learned how to read. When I was in the trucking business I had to buy books because of the potential cost of library fines. However when I got off the road my first stop was at the local library here in Lincoln to get a library card. We are very lucky in Lincoln with our city library system plus having access to the University of Nebraska's system and several other college collections. In addition to a fantastic selection of books the Lincoln system has an extensive collection of audio and video available with a FREE library card. If I had to buy all the books, music CD's and audio books I get for free from the library I would have to win a large Powerball Jackpot!

How do those of you who live in smaller communities accommodate your reading and music listening habits when there isn't a good library close by? When I was on the road I did a lot of book trading with the waitresses in various Truck Stops around the country. Swapping books and audio tapes with other drivers was also a good source of new material. A few minutes on the CB radio was all it usually took to find another driver with a book he would swap. The problem was; are they headed in the same direction?

What kind of solutions have those of you who are on a limited budget and living in a area with no access to libraries come up with?

GL2
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-20-2008, 10:50 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
How about shopping at yard sales or some libraries have book sales. I have helped with our library book sale and they charged $5 to fill up an entire huge bag. I know the closest library is 2 hours from you, so that might not work for you . How about Craigs List? I have given away boxes of books on there?

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-20-2008, 10:51 AM

5,168 posts, read 11,438,772 times
One more thought, some of the coffee shops I go to have a book shelf and customers are free to pick up books for free and also donate books.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-20-2008, 10:56 AM

1 posts, read 2,600 times
Default Library far away

The easiest thing to do is to sign up for Books online. It maybe harder to read them on line or cost a mint to print them but it is one way to get them. It was what my son did when he was stuck on Kodiak, AK in the Coast Guard.

Old 08-20-2008, 11:02 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times
A lot of rural libraries carry e-books, which can be read on the computer (or a PDA) using various types of software. Usually there is also an inter-library loan program, so that the small library closest to you can get books from other libraries as well. Also larger libraries often do "Book Mobile" outreach.

I bought a Kindle (an e-ink electronics book reader from Amazon), and have 4-5 places I can buy ebooks plus a gazillion places I can get free books (legally - these are out-of-copyright books and public domain).

Old 08-21-2008, 09:47 AM

3,695 posts, read 11,372,565 times
Booksfree Online Book Rental Service - Rent Paperback Books, Audio Books

It's like Netflix for books.

Old 08-21-2008, 06:00 PM

13,254 posts, read 33,526,609 times
Good suggestion PNW. Although our small library no longer carries e-books, I have a card at the nearby city library that does. In most states, you can get access to e-books from another library once you get a card there.

I'm also interested in the Kindle but I think I'll wait another year or two in hopes that the price will come down.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:16 PM

1,815 posts, read 3,167,465 times
Try paperbackswap.com.

Old 08-23-2008, 09:21 PM

7,136 posts, read 12,673,848 times
Where I work we share our books with each other. It works out really well.

Old 08-24-2008, 12:36 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,324,133 times
When I lived in Kodiak, there was the public library, the base library, the college library, several thrift shops for used books, a used book rack in the public library, paperback exchanges in several bars and coffee shops, annual sales of items pulled from the shelves of each library, and garage sales, a book store, and several other stores carrying new book racks. The problem wasn't getting books, it was finding the time to read them all!

Now I use the talking book and braille library and tapes come by mail. I also have friends who send me audio books, and I buy used tapes/CDs on line. There are also sites where entire books are free to read [and I can adjust the font size to actually READ them], and several swap sites that include audio books as well.

As for music, if there is a particular song by a particular singer I want to hear, YouTube probably has it. But I also have a fairly extensive collection of CDs, tapes, and records.

Last edited by karibear; 08-24-2008 at 12:37 PM.. Reason: typos
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books