Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2008, 10:41 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,732,542 times

Advertisements

Yes, I'm a lit geek too. I'm glad there are still some of us around and my 13 yo daughter is following in our footsteps. I have almost no tolerance for trashy stuff anymore b/c once you get hooked on the good stuff, it's hard to go back. It's not a snob thing, just a matter of taste, but no one understands that except other book lovers. I'm certainly not too proud to read YA books--some of them are excellent and I love to go back in adulthood and revisit old favorites like Heidi and My Side of the Mountain. It's amazing what a different perspective we bring to these books years later. Also, I'm reading some of the newer ones and can't wait to dig into The Giver and Bless Me, Ultima. (Okay, I know those aren't new, but if they were around when I was a kid, I don't remember them.) I like non-fiction and it's about the only kind of reading I did when the girls were small, since I didn't want to dig into something I couldn't put down in those days. To me, the best non-fiction books are ones that choose some historical topic like the earthquake of 1811-12 in Missouri and write at length about what it was like to go thru something like that, or maybe about ancient healing techniques, or one I read once called Women's Work, about how women had to spend most of their day spinning wool to make clothes before factories came along. Those kind of books cure me for a few days of this totally irrational thinking that things were better in the old days. I learned that the longest enduring fashion on this planet was the string skirt that ancient women wore--think hula skirt. Well I'm rambling, but you got me on my favorite subject.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2008, 10:55 PM

3,219 posts, read 7,063,998 times
I love history the most-especially WW1 and WW2.
I enjoy Russian and German literature
Philosophy...Sociology
I also enjoy poetry here and there

(Guilty pleasure-I like a good true-crime novel once in awhile)

Old 09-05-2008, 04:12 AM

307 posts, read 1,178,563 times
I love reading. I just picked up E.O. Wilson's The Creation. I'm more into non-fiction: science, history, technology, mythology, philosophy and current events make the most rounds. I like fiction but it's mostly classics. Actually, I probably read more books that comment on fictional writings than actual fiction books. Books about books, or something.

Old 09-05-2008, 08:50 AM

2,357 posts, read 7,876,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcane View Post
I love reading. I just picked up E.O. Wilson's The Creation. I'm more into non-fiction: science, history, technology, mythology, philosophy and current events make the most rounds. I like fiction but it's mostly classics. Actually, I probably read more books that comment on fictional writings than actual fiction books. Books about books, or something.
Have you read "Reading Like a Writer", by Francine Prose? Pretty useful, for me anyways. Basically it's filled willed various excerpts and analyzed according to the chapter's topic. For example, the second chapter's focus is on words, the next on sentences, the next on paragraphs etc...Looking at the construction and craft of writing, similar to analyzing music: notes, melodies, chords etc...

Plus there's a great reading list in the index

Old 09-05-2008, 08:14 PM

10,364 posts, read 20,732,542 times
Twange, I just got that from the library, but haven't dug into it yet. I love the author's name.

Old 09-07-2008, 05:20 AM

113 posts, read 277,491 times
I will read almost anything.
I constantly have a book with me as you never know when you might need it.
I like reading true crime and crime fiction but will read other topics other than slushy romance which I tend to get annoyed at.

Old 09-07-2008, 11:35 AM

37,751 posts, read 40,828,546 times
I typically read a book a week. I like to read nonfiction but my favorite type of nonfiction is what I call a "true account" of an incident by a participant, especially if the good and/or bad side of human nature is part of the story or if bad decisions led to some tragedy. I prefer reading about ordinary people in these situations, too.

I also like current events nonfiction and the geek in me likes books about demographics.

One kind of nonfiction I don't like: autobiographies. I don't believe them and rarely read them.

I never read fiction anymore.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:06 PM

12 posts, read 29,162 times
I always like to read...even when I was little and I still do
I have a whole library of books.
people say that I should sell them or give them away, but i can't
it's like i'm hooked.
i remember the first book I read outside of a children's book was "To Kill a Mockingbird" and "Gone With The Wind" and I liked it.
After that I have gotten into things such as plays. I try to go and see them as much as possible {plays and ballets}
Also I like fantasy books about vampires, fairies, magic, etc.
Poems are also a favorite
However my all-time favorite genre of writing is realistic fiction. I like stories that seem real. Stories that seem like they could actually happen in real life.
i think the main reason i like to read is because its my inspiration to writing. i like writing my own little stories on the computer and i have a whole notebook full of stories I wrote starting from the 7th grade. The number one thing i hated in school was when teachers would tell us to write a story and I would get mad. i know I shouldn't have a problem with it , but I can't just come up with a story and when I write them I like it to be on my own time because when I write on my own time I tend to put more thought and effort into it. People say that I should be an author, but i don't know.

Sorry for my long answer
Well thats my two cents
have a good night or morning!

Old 09-19-2008, 11:28 PM

26 posts, read 118,365 times
I love to read!!! I'm a book fiend. lol I love anything and I mean it. Even if i don't find a particular book personally entertaining i can still appreciate it for good liturature (example-Light in August). Of course there are books that have left me thinking "why on earth would anyone find this entertaining." Right now i'm taking Western Humanities in college and they give me 3 credit hours to pretty much read all these great pieces of lit. like The Odyssey, The Aenied, The Inferno, Hamlet ect. the only catch is that i have to write essays on these. (which is what i really should be doing right now.) :-)

Old 09-21-2008, 08:50 PM

28,896 posts, read 53,983,212 times
Just finished Sons and Lovers (Skip the first 200 pages) and have moved on to Brideshead Revisited.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books