Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2008, 04:40 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,320,318 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Well, after reading all the previous responses, I am embarrassed to admit that I read "trash."

Although I will occasionally read a book with substance, for me, reading is a form of escapism. I want to be entertained. I hear so much gloom and misery on the news that I want to be distracted from it.
Don't be embarrassed by that. I've had more than enough 'real life' in my life, I want to be diverted and entertained now. HEA's are excellent for that, and any mystery/thriller where the good guys live happily ever after and the baddies get their just desserts are fine, too. There's a time for existential reading, and thinking deep thoughts about the meaning of life and all that, but after awhile it palls. Light-hearted is just as good in it's way, and has it's own place. It can also be just as well done as any other kind of literature. If it's not, then it is trash, it shows a lack of respect for potential readers.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2008, 05:04 PM

2,061 posts, read 4,133,552 times
Read almost anything~ usually 3-5 books a week~ not unusual to be rading 4 or more at one~ depending on mood~ and have quit a few sries going! Mostly light reading~ scifi, mystery, historical mystery, science fantasy, westerns! Always have audio book going in vehicle! John Grisham good ~ Asprin great recomend "Phules Army" a surprising scifi book that shows authors knowlege of leadership, military and satire!

Old 10-18-2008, 11:13 PM

371 posts, read 1,760,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
Don't be embarrassed by that. I've had more than enough 'real life' in my life, I want to be diverted and entertained now. HEA's are excellent for that, and any mystery/thriller where the good guys live happily ever after and the baddies get their just desserts are fine, too. There's a time for existential reading, and thinking deep thoughts about the meaning of life and all that, but after awhile it palls. Light-hearted is just as good in it's way, and has it's own place. It can also be just as well done as any other kind of literature. If it's not, then it is trash, it shows a lack of respect for potential readers.

In a way, I hate philosophy. So depressing, and it is limited thinking. But I do like books that place people in impossible situations that how them make serious choices. I like seeing how human nature reacts under stress.

Old 10-18-2008, 11:15 PM

61,288 posts, read 87,384,526 times
big fat novels currently on shogun
but like now reading a joni mitchell biography at same time.

Old 10-20-2008, 08:21 PM

225 posts, read 1,075,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmobizmo View Post
Well, after reading all the previous responses, I am embarrassed to admit that I read "trash."

Although I will occasionally read a book with substance, for me, reading is a form of escapism. I want to be entertained. I hear so much gloom and misery on the news that I want to be distracted from it.
Absolutely nothing wrong with that. Reading is reading and one should read what interests or entertains them. I always thought I was the strange one because people would ask me what I read (and I knew they meant fiction stories) and I would reply that my main reading interest reading covered non-fiction which would usually bring forth an "Oh" response. LOL.

If anyone is interested I would recommend these three excellent non fiction books:

1) The Little German Slave Girl
2) The Children's Blizzard of 1888 (I never realized this actually happened)
3) The Murder of Tutakhaman: A 3,000 Year Old Mystery

All three provide great insight into their topics and some great information.

Last edited by Wandering_Spirit; 10-20-2008 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Repeated "non-fiction" twice, duhhhh. LOL.

Old 10-22-2008, 08:35 AM

3,047 posts, read 9,030,188 times
I read books everyday, well at least 5 times a week. I commute to chicago (the loop) via the Metra so i can breeze through a 3 to 4 hundred page book in a week or two given i read about 2 hours a day.

I am into books that will shed knowledge on the meaning of life. I have a personal libray of over 50 books in which I spent about $800 on. I would say 95% of my library contains different spiritual texts from thousands of years ago from places such as the Middle East and the Far East. I like to read books that stretch the imagination and require one to think outside of the box. These books contain authors such as Aleister Crowley (The book of lies, the book of law, etc.), Trevor J. Constable (Cosmic Pulse of Life), G. Edward Griffin (The Creature from Jekyll Island), and enjoy books written by abnormal authors such as Alice A. Bailey. I find books like these tend to stimulate my thought process more than other kinds of books do, at least at this part in my life.

Old 10-22-2008, 09:16 AM

1,833 posts, read 3,348,687 times
I've really enjoyed reading what other people read. Some stuff I wouldn't read myself as it doesn't interest me but other stuff really makes me think it needs to be on my list of books to look for (which is very long unfortunately).

I enjoy reading historical fiction probably the most right now. I read fiction, historical fiction, some non-fiction but nothing too intense. I have books that I felt I should have been reading in high school or college but never did. I took a lot of lit classes in college and have read some good classics but not all. I have well over 100 books in my to-be-read boxes. I keep them in boxes right now as it is easier than bookshelves since I have a 2-year-old who would likely rip a few of them apart. I make a habit of going to the Salvation Army Thrift Shop, Goodwill and Savers to look for books. I do get withdrawal if it's been more than about a week since I've been to at least one of them. I read as often as I can and never go anywhere without a book. I make sure I carry a purse that can hold a good-sized book too. Unfortunately my 2-year-old has decided not to take routine naps so that has interrupted my precious time for reading.

Old 10-22-2008, 03:26 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,134,340 times
I'm wrapping up Nostromo by Conrad, then moving on to Passage To India by Forster.

Then I'm going to read some totally and utterly mindless. Seems like I've exhausted the Edwardian novelists this year and my head is beginning to hurt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books