U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2008, 02:35 AM

452 posts, read 2,172,794 times

Advertisements

You know, the book is always better than the movie. But has there ever been a MOVIE that you thought was better than the book??? This would be rare but it happens and I'm just wondering if you've ever found that in your opinion, the movie is better!

For me....I like the movie Gone With the Wind better than the book.

I think I like The Color Purple better than the book but it has been so long since I read the book, I might change my mind if I re-read it.

On the flip side one book that is 1000000 times better than the movie (the original or newer one) is Vladimir Nabokov's Lolita. You just cannot know the story, from the movie! Or you cannot know how many references and allusions that book contains- read the critical edition! But so much is lost in the movie.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2008, 05:14 AM

13,541 posts, read 4,853,410 times
I don't know if I've ever seen a movie that was better than the book BUT there are movies which are great adaptions and do honor the books and authors of these.

I believe that the Lord of the Rings was very good and impressing altho' there've been slight differences to the books.
Also the Harry Potter movies are great in comparison to the book.

Gone with the wind - I liked both. That makes me think of reading it again lol

Old 08-21-2008, 08:52 AM

19,675 posts, read 17,665,319 times
The only movie adapted from a book that I thought was as good as--although not better than--the book was The Joy Luck Club. I thought they did an amazing job with that film.

Old 08-21-2008, 09:32 AM

5,142 posts, read 10,557,730 times
Whenever I have read a book and then seen the movie later, I have been disappointed... the other way around works better

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 AM

3,698 posts, read 10,519,068 times
Stand by Me
The Princess Bride
The Shawshank Redemption
About a Boy
Die Hard
Jaws
First Blood
The Godfather
Sideways
The Graduate

Old 08-21-2008, 10:17 AM

5,142 posts, read 10,557,730 times
Just thought of one, I LOVED the movie "the english patient", but I just couldn't get into the book.

forum rules, please read them

Old 08-21-2008, 10:35 AM

13,395 posts, read 41,950,089 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katzenfreund View Post
Just thought of one, I LOVED the movie "the english patient", but I just couldn't get into the book.
Ditto.
And I have enjoyed that author's (Michael Ondaatje) other work.

I read the story of Frank W. Abagnale, and actually preferred the movie version of his tale, which is the most excellent Catch Me If You Can. The book was just kind of dry, the film grabbed and moved me much more.

Mario Puzo's The Godfather was not a bad book by any means.
But the movie was superb; it took and expanded the subject matter into something special.

But I probably should not delve too much into this subject, sometimes it is merely a matter of apples and oranges.
The two media are quite different from one another, and each takes a person to different places.

Old 08-21-2008, 11:46 AM

871 posts, read 1,839,463 times
The outsiders. I loved the book. The movie was even better!

I do have to say No Stephen King movie has ever come close to touching the book. The movie versions are so CHEESY!

Old 08-21-2008, 01:54 PM

1,455 posts, read 3,719,876 times
I didn't actually read The Color Purple, but tried a few times. So I'd have to say the movie was better.

Cold Mountain...the movie was at least as good as the book, maybe better. Some of his adventures (for lack of a better word) were more understandable on screen, and although I like depressing stuff, the book was much darker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post

I do have to say No Stephen King movie has ever come close to touching the book. The movie versions are so CHEESY!
My daughter and I were just discussing The Outsiders. The movie was really good, I think it included everything in the book! I loved the book.

As for Steven King, one book that isn't as good as the movie is The Shining. The book WAS good. But sometimes SK tends to let then ending get away. The book will all make sense, be plausible, and then the ending gets all wacky. The end of The Shining movie was sooooo much better and more believable than in the book!

Old 08-21-2008, 02:44 PM

3,698 posts, read 10,519,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentaxlecrew View Post

What about "Stand by Me" and "The Shawshank Redemption"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or