Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-26-2017, 08:00 AM

291 posts, read 391,366 times

Advertisements

Good morning.

I recently started a new job which includes a one hour commute each way. I would like to make productive use of the time by listening to books.

Can anyone suggest an audio book club or website where I can order or download books from at a reasonable price?

Thanks.

-Buzz
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2017, 08:52 AM

2,270 posts, read 4,132,638 times
If you sign up with your local library they have many audio books to borrow for free (download over the Internet) and usually able to renew once.

Audible is a terrific site for audio books at a very reasonable rate. There are different membership rates and it is easy to find one that fits your needs.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:34 AM

4,053 posts, read 8,267,188 times
My local library offers three different apps for audio books and ebooks. Overdrive has a nice collection and you can check out items for 14 days. They also have an app called One Click Digital for audio and ebooks. Lots of classic literature. The third one, Hoopla, has even more media, including ebooks, audio, TV show episodes, movies and albums! You can download seven items per month for 21 days. Another really nice thing about it is that every item is available for check out. No wait list!

I love the e-library. I don't have to go there to find and check out the books. No late fees ever.

I also belong to audible. It's great, too!

Old 03-03-2017, 07:58 PM

4,249 posts, read 3,738,928 times
I'd just go with audible. It's extremely easy to use, and integrated with (because it's owned by) amazon.

I don't like kindle, but IF you have a kindle it has a 'whispersync' feature where it will pick up in the written version where you stopped listening in the audio, and vice versa. So, for example, if you listen to a book on your way home from work, and get home, turn off the car and go inside, and then a couple hours later you pick up your kindle to read, it will advance to the point where you stopped listening in the car, so you can read the kindle version from where you left off.

My neighbor loves this feature.

Old 03-10-2017, 07:32 PM

14,530 posts, read 20,165,914 times
Although I wonder why people want audio books (except my sightless good friend) IMO the solution is the same: your public library.

I'm a member of about a dozen public libraries in 3 states, and via the Overdrive app that all libraries I've seen support, you can check out ebooks and audio books, often the same book you pick your format.

D/L and install the app on your tablet or phone. Search overdrive.com using zip code to find local libraries, add them to your app and you're good to go.

Note that you can access Overdrive via your app or via Overdrive's site online which has a dedicated sub-site for every member library. I use the latter method to check out books because it's much easier on a PC than pecking mini-keyboards.

I find 95% of the books I want to read at my libraries and check them out ia Overdrive. It would be the same for ebooks or audio books.

Public libraries: your tax dollars at work. As long as you are paying the taxes to support a library, why not fully utilize their resources?

Old 03-23-2017, 09:11 AM

422 posts, read 526,357 times
Free audio books at: https://librivox.org. If you haven't done your "classics", this is a great place to start.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books