Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2009, 02:09 PM

1,638 posts, read 4,548,071 times

Advertisements

Fabulous book-one of the best-if not the best I have ever read.But boy did it make me cry!
Don't know if I want to see the movie-sometimes it spoils it for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2009, 12:15 AM

28 posts, read 67,111 times
I have a question. I read to my mother because she can't see too well any longer. She's 87. Would this be a good book to read to her?

Old 09-02-2009, 02:47 PM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
You should give it a try with your mother. This was one of my all time favorite books. I realize that some readers became annoyed with trying to keep track of the time changes in the characters' lives but I thought this added to the interest. Everything about this book was unique.

Old 09-02-2009, 04:19 PM

2,579 posts, read 2,450,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueWillowPlate View Post
I liked it very much indeed, but people whose opinion I respect didn't. As I've said before, I read this book long before all the hype.

A lot of people really had a hard time with the crazy plot. And yeah, the nakedness. But that stuff didn't bother me. I actually thought the plot was well structured. It's just that you have to buy a rather outlandish premise.

I know some people disliked the prose, but I loved Niffennegger's language: the unflinchingly vivid character descriptions, the nightlife, the awkward but loving family scenes, the Chicago vignettes. (The museum, the library...)

Perhaps some hoped for a more lyrical romance, but I enjoyed the story of their relationship. It felt real to me: there was excitement, there was humor, but it hurt when it was supposed to; there was real poignance.

I think some also had a hard time with Clare's patience.
Ah well.
We all can't like everything. I am sorry you were disappointed.

Thank you BWP for your point of view. I can certainly see how so many people liked it and I was quite surprised at my reaction, I could not wait to finish it so that I could start something else.

It was certainly not the nudity, nor Clare's patience that bothered me. I think that probably I was expecting too much from the story and the characters.
Anyway, it is not the end of the world and I am glad I have read the book anyway.

Old 09-03-2009, 01:02 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,008,871 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hutch5 View Post
Anyway, it is not the end of the world and I am glad I have read the book anyway.
I am really glad to hear this.
It's only human nature that some books light a fire in one person, and leave another person cold.
I talked to someone else who couldn't stand the characters in TTTW.
I read for so many different reasons, some less than noble (I am not an intellectual heavyweight).
I think maybe with TTTW, I was escaping into a Darcy-type fantasy with Henry DeTamble.

Old 09-03-2009, 11:50 PM

1,163 posts, read 1,236,141 times
love this book! its wierd at first but so well written...i like how it was adventurous too and sad!!
cant wait to see the movie

Old 11-16-2009, 04:06 AM

2,184 posts, read 5,548,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Hey there I was wondering if anyone had a copy of the time travelers wife that they would be willing to part with ? I would be happy to pay for the shipping or trade a book that I might have for it . Someone from the uk was supposed to send me the book but it supposidly got lost in the mail . So who knows what happened there . Please pm me and let me know thanks . I have looked in our used book shops and cannot find a copy also I like the idea of recycling instead of buying new .
It's available as an e-book.

Old 11-16-2009, 06:17 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,796,320 times
I would have never picked up this book - not until my bookclub selected it. I listened to it on audio and loved it. Great book!

Old 11-16-2009, 10:49 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times
finally got a copy of this book and loved it just loved it . I am keeping my copy got it from a book trading site called swap tree .com and they also trade cds and dvds . I love it cause it is like read a book , list it and then trade for one you would like to read from another member and the only cost involved is shipping the book to the other person . it is an awesome find . I love the book trading sites .

Old 11-23-2010, 05:08 PM

414 posts, read 1,009,508 times
I realize this is an older thread, but I just finished the book and had to comment.

I liked the book...the characters were interesting, the relationships between Clare and Henry as well as their families felt real, the style of writing was different but enjoyable and I enjoyed the setting. However, it was not a "sitting on the edge of my seat, absolutely can't put it down, what is going to happen next?" kind of read. I was glad I read it, but it's not one I'll read again. I don't think it was because I had too high of expectations for it, it just didn't grab me the way it did some readers.

But that's ok. That is the beauty of reading. People enjoy different novels for different reasons. Some of my favorite books others probably detest and that's fine!

Still, I'm glad I read it and I did enjoy it. It just didn't WOW me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books