Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 09:44 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times

Advertisements

Okay people, name some classic books that are an absolute must-read for bookworms. I'm trying to put some more prestigous notches in my literary belt.

I will name the first one: Beowulf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2007, 10:03 PM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Default Not that I have finished these...

The Complete works of William Shakespeare

Sometimes I pull out 'Brush Up Your Shakespeare'

He must roll in his grave at the abuse of the English language--not to mention the lack of comprehension of his observations on the Human Condition.

Old 02-05-2007, 10:59 PM

381 posts, read 1,685,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs119 View Post
The Complete works of William Shakespeare

Sometimes I pull out 'Brush Up Your Shakespeare'

He must roll in his grave at the abuse of the English language--not to mention the lack of comprehension of his observations on the Human Condition.
Yes, I've tried to read a few of his works. I think I will save that for a slightly later date, though. And I know what you mean about the abuse of the English language. Although I am by no means an expert on it, I strive to learn as much as I can so as to be a good communicator (however often I fail).

Old 02-05-2007, 11:01 PM

30,354 posts, read 51,942,966 times
Okay, you know the librarian has to answer this one! Here are some of my all-time favorites... not sure if they all qualify as "classic" yet, but they should eventually.

Elie Wiesel - Night
Langston Hughes - Any of his writings
Isabelle Allende - The House of the Spirits
Allen Ginsberg - Howl (okay, so it's technically not a "book", but it's one of my favorite pieces of literature)
JD Salinger - Catcher in the Rye
George Orwell - Animal Farm & 1984
Ntozake Shange - For Colored Girls who have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf (wonderful choreo-poem!!)
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men & Cannery Row
Stephen King - It, Green Mile, & The Shining
Beth Henley - Crimes of the Heart

Old 02-06-2007, 02:55 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,023,398 times
To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Diary of Anne Frank

Catch-22
by Joseph Heller

Slaughterhouse Five
by Kurt Vonnegut

Huckleberry Finn
by Mark Twain

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
by Ken Kesey

The Power of One
by Bryce Courtenay

Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen

I have reached the point where I now read just for pleasure. I have tried to broaden my horizons, though. Went through a long Dickens streak and really enjoy him but some find him too wordy.
I've read several of those previously mentioned, Ray Bradbury is one of my favorite authors. Enjoy Langston Hughes too.
I tried to read Beowulf but just couldn't do it. Ditto Gravity's Rainbow.
Very much enjoyed the cinematic version of Beowulf with Gerard Butler, heard someone else is filming it as well.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:01 AM

2,098 posts, read 6,329,602 times
Definitely, hands down...Catcher in the Rye (God, I love that book, must've read it 25 times).

Don't know if these are all actually considered "classics" but:

To Kill a Mockingbird (working on it)
The Picture of Dorian Grey
Tom Sawyer
Huckleberry Finn
White Fang
Brave New World
Last of the Mohicans

Never read it but my dad always loved it and told me I should read it: The Clan of the Cavebear

Old 02-06-2007, 06:11 AM

8,862 posts, read 17,487,576 times
Default Always glad to meet a librarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
Okay, you know the librarian has to answer this one! Here are some of my all-time favorites... not sure if they all qualify as "classic" yet, but they should eventually.

Elie Wiesel - Night
Langston Hughes - Any of his writings
Isabelle Allende - The House of the Spirits
Allen Ginsberg - Howl (okay, so it's technically not a "book", but it's one of my favorite pieces of literature)
JD Salinger - Catcher in the Rye
George Orwell - Animal Farm & 1984
Ntozake Shange - For Colored Girls who have Considered Suicide When the Rainbow is Enuf (wonderful choreo-poem!!)
Ray Bradbury - Fahrenheit 451
John Steinbeck - Of Mice and Men & Cannery Row
Stephen King - It, Green Mile, & The Shining
Beth Henley - Crimes of the Heart
That is a well-rounded list.
~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~

May I ask a book/author question--(sneaking into sunny's thread and trying not to derail it...)

Do you know of authors 'like'--Bill Bryson, Peter Mayle, Frances Mayes or Anthony Bourdain--a touch of the cynic --in the first two(and Anthony) and they all right about 'travel'/life. That is what I would like to read. Light humor, information, entertainment. Thanks in advance.
sls

Old 02-06-2007, 07:55 AM

5,019 posts, read 14,115,073 times
Wow, some great choices here!

A few that spring to mind that you could add to your list:

"Le Rouge et le Noir" (The Red and the Black)-Stendhal
"One Hundred Years of Solitude"-Gabriel Garcia Marquez
"Of Human Bondage"-W. Sommerset Maughm
"The Sun Also Rises"-Ernest Hemingway

Old 02-06-2007, 08:24 AM

10,203 posts, read 27,120,494 times
I don't know what you have in mind but I remember when I was interested in reading what I defined as "only the best" I read most of the Nobel Prize winners in literature.

Here's the website.

http://nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/l...ure/laureates/

It provides the names, years, bibliography and biography.

If I recall correctly I started with some of the oldest winners and kept going. I had a feast of books with this list and learned about some amazing authors who are frequently unsung in the States. In particular, I was taken with several of the Scandinavian writers: Knut Hamsun, Par Lagerkvist, Selma Lagerlof (among others).

Old 02-06-2007, 08:29 AM

3,377 posts, read 14,628,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunshineBaby View Post
Okay people, name some classic books that are an absolute must-read for bookworms. I'm trying to put some more prestigous notches in my literary belt.

I will name the first one: Beowulf
The #1 selling book of all time. The Holy Bible, new and old testament! It's amazing to me how many people own these books and have never opened them up.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books