U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2008, 01:18 PM

66 posts, read 184,410 times

Advertisements

This is going to be a really bad, vague description but if anyone has any idea of what I'm talking about, I'd appreciate the help, because this has been driving me crazy for a long time.

Anyway, I believe it came out in the 1980s; not sure when exactly. It was a little more mature than a typical children's book, from what I remember. I believe it was about a group of toys who go on some kind of adventure. The only two characters I remember are a bear, or a Teddy bear, I think with a blue sweatshirt, and a cat that's sort of like Puss in Boots, like it was dressed like a swashbuckler and had a sword. And one of them was missing an eye - the bear, I believe. I think each toy I think has something wrong with it, like a deformity or scar or something along those lines (no I am not thinking about Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer, heh) but I could be wrong on that. That's really as much as I remember.

So if anyone got a clue as to what book this is, what it's called, the author, etc., I'd appreciate the help. Thanks!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2008, 08:22 AM

500 posts, read 986,222 times
Could be :
Who Needs a Bear? by Barbara Dillon

but I'd almost bet it's Little Sophie and Lanky Flop by by Els Pelgrom and illustrator ThT Tjong Khing.
It's very much out of print, but available through the usual used book sources.

Here's what Publisher's Weekly said about it:
Sophie is seriously ill and confined to her bed, but retains a curiosity about the outside world that annoys her parents and frustrates her tutor. One night all her dolls come to life for a performance in a doll-sized theater. Her tomcat, Terror, suggests "What Life Has to Offer" as a play, and with Sophie's doll, Lanky Flop, their performance becomes part of a world beyond the stage. The subsequent adventureswhich include "bad language," semi-nude dancing, a few thefts and, for Lanky Flop, a romp beneath the sheets with the puppeteer's wife, Annabellaculminate in Sophie's death, which is considered, in the story's framework, the beginning of an endless journey with Lanky Flop et al. The comic line drawings match the tongue-in-cheek tone of the story, which could be characterized as "Pinocchio Meets the Little Match Girl." But the pictures, like the story, contain elements that may disturb some readers: a drawing of maimed and disabled children, to which Sophie's (sudden) baldness is equated. This is no more frightening or lusty than any of the Grimms' or Andersen's tales, but because it is an original story and therefore unfamiliar, some elements shock. However, what may not be suitable for readers at the younger end of the age range will be sophisticated and inventive entertainment for others. Ages 7-10.

Old 10-15-2008, 11:24 AM

1,457 posts, read 3,753,051 times
Not a book, but sounds alot like a movie I remember...I watched it ALL summer while I had mono. It came from the library, and after that, disappeared (the library movies didn't belong to the library, they were 6 month "loaners" from area stores).

Old 10-15-2008, 12:39 PM

Sorry, colorado native, but I don't think either of those are the book I'm thinking about.

I can specifically remember the artwork to the book, the cover at least. I don't know if there were any other pictures in the book. I'm going to think about this more and do some more researching, but if anyone gets any other ideas, throw them my way.

Old 10-15-2008, 07:29 PM

500 posts, read 986,222 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeriousPosterIsSerious View Post
Sorry, colorado native, but I don't think either of those are the book I'm thinking about.

I can specifically remember the artwork to the book, the cover at least. I don't know if there were any other pictures in the book. I'm going to think about this more and do some more researching, but if anyone gets any other ideas, throw them my way.
really?
LITTLE SOPHIE AND LANKY FLOP. - PELGROM & ARNOLD POMERANS.,ELS

the description matches perfectly...

ok.

Old 10-16-2008, 10:00 AM

No, I know for a fact that isn't it.

Maybe "children's book" isn't quite what it was. It may have been aimed more towards the young adult demographic. But I remember reading it, or having it read to me, as a little kid. But it's definitely not that book.

Old 10-29-2008, 04:05 PM

2,478 posts, read 4,467,896 times
Hope you're still around to see this. The best place for a question like yours is the Stump The Bookseller page at www.loganberrybooks.com . They've been doing this for several years and have developed a community of veteran and/or retired librarians and other book lovers. Browse thru the hundreds of already-solved inquiries and see if your book is there.

Old 11-01-2008, 10:34 AM

9,482 posts, read 11,298,186 times
This book is called the Oddkins..by Dean Koontz.

I absolutely loved it...my daughter chose it for a book report a few years ago.

Book Review: Oddkins by Dean Koontz

Old 11-03-2008, 02:44 PM

THAT'S IT! Oh my god, I can't believe that's actually it. Wow. Thank you very much, poconoproud. And thanks to everyone else who was also trying to help me out. I really appreciate it.

It makes sense now...my mom probably got this book for me, because she'd always been a big Dean Koontz fan. I also ended up becoming a fan of his years later, and ended up reading a lot of his work during my high school and college years.

Thanks again. This had been driving me crazy for a really long time. I'm going to see if we still have this book laying around somewhere and take a look through it.

Old 11-03-2008, 03:12 PM

9,482 posts, read 11,298,186 times
you're very welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books