Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2009, 11:47 AM

52,214 posts, read 52,636,749 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPit View Post
I've only read two of his novels, "Women," and, "Hollywood". He was quite a prolific and celebrated poet as well. What I immediately liked about his prose style was the bare-boned honesty of every line. What I didn't like was both plots were predictable.

Can anyone recommend other novels of his?
I haven't read any of his novels. I do like his prose though.

The guy can get pretty raunchy at times so beware. He was a serious drunk was practically homeless at some points of his life.

The man was an absolutely talented writer. Matter of fact I'm looking at his book of poems and prose right now called "Love is a dog from hell"

Good stuff
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2009, 12:07 PM

3,084 posts, read 5,236,354 times
I'm digging Charlie B. The man definitely knew the value of the bottle. Currently working on Slouching Toward Nirvana. Wicked writing all around.

-"As the spirit wanes the form appears" from Art

Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
You know, I used to be a lot more enamored with Bukowski than I am today. All that pubescent nihilism tends to get old after a while.

Old 05-01-2009, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpg35223 View Post
You know, I used to be a lot more enamored with Bukowski than I am today. All that pubescent nihilism tends to get old after a while.
I don't know how much of a nihilist he was, he seemed to me to be a really troubled guy, I guess that's part of what makes some of the greatest writers of our time, Hemingway, Plath, Woolf among others.

Maybe it is the cosmic trade off, talented and troubled or normal and a little less talented??

Old 05-01-2009, 12:56 PM

28,895 posts, read 54,138,340 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowhound View Post
I don't know how much of a nihilist he was, he seemed to me to be a really troubled guy, I guess that's part of what makes some of the greatest writers of our time, Hemingway, Plath, Woolf among others.

Maybe it is the cosmic trade off, talented and troubled or normal and a little less talented??

Could be. But, IMHO, two of my most recent reads, "Portnoy's Complaint" and "A Clockwork Orange," along with most of Nabokov do a much better job of depicting the tortured soul than Bukowski.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:00 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,333 times
I'm not a big fan of decadence. I think it's the easy way out. I do think Bukowski was an unhappy guy. Seems like he had a pretty rough childhood, and while I understand it and sympathize I am a sucker for Hope. It is all that we have at times.

The thing I did about Bukowski is the honesty of his language. To me he makes Hemingway sound labored.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:17 PM

Quote:
The thing I did about Bukowski is the honesty of his language. To me he makes Hemingway sound labored.
You got that one right.

Sometimes a little to honest!

Old 05-01-2009, 01:24 PM

2,957 posts, read 7,382,390 times
Sure, it's kinda "pubescent" but I love this poem/reading:

YouTube - Charles Bukowski (dinosauria, we)

Old 05-01-2009, 01:49 PM

2,751 posts, read 5,362,333 times
b. Frank, I liked the poem. I don't have sound on my computer today, so i don't know if I missed anything. I'm usually not a real big fan of poetry, most is pretentious and cute and intentionally obscure, but I do like his stuff. It is accessible and then takes you somewhere worthwhile. Thanks for that.

And Chow, I know his language is a bit on the raunchy side. It's impossible to shock me at this stage of the game, but I just don't need to hear about some of the stuff Bukowski seemed obsessed with; but what I meant about the honesty of his language was its directness, its lack of pretense or subterfuge. Whereas a lot of writers will go to great lengths to describe simple, everyday actions in a unique way Bukowski will just say, "He walked through the door. He sat down. Looked around. Noticed the whiskey on the table." Not overly creative, but it does evoke pure images that tend to stay with a reader.

Old 05-01-2009, 01:58 PM

Quote:
And Chow, I know his language is a bit on the raunchy side. It's impossible to shock me at this stage of the game, but I just don't need to hear about some of the stuff Bukowski seemed obsessed with; but what I meant about the honesty of his language was its directness, its lack of pretense or subterfuge. Whereas a lot of writers will go to great lengths to describe simple, everyday actions in a unique way Bukowski will just say, "He walked through the door. He sat down. Looked around. Noticed the whiskey on the table." Not overly creative, but it does evoke pure images that tend to stay with a reader.
Yes, I agree about the pretensions sometimes in poetry. He in my opinion comes up with some very interesting takes on "everyday" situations. Yes I do like his simple way of describing things.

Although he does get pretty creative with descriptions sometimes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books