U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 03:53 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,787,232 times

Advertisements

Anyone have either of these?

(I've posted this in the Technology area too, don't know if that is against the rules but can't figure out quite which area it should go in)

I am trying to decide which to ask Santa for but have a questions.

The kindle has better reviews generally, but major complaints about the page turning function, bars along either side of the device which are apparently easy to accidentally hit. It is currently priced at $359.

The Sony Reader is available for $259, a good savings, but doesn't have the same kind of internet access (I think?), and I have read many horrible reviews of their customer service. Also, I am trying to figure out how much their books are but can't figure out where you order them from. Supposedly you get 100 free books with the device, which at $10 plus per book seems to pay for itself, if in fact the selection is good. But I'd really like to browse what they have available and see the prices.

Anyone used either? I have read some of the reviews of both on Amazon but it is difficult to wade through them as there are too many and I cannot ask the reviewer questions, so I'd rather get some input from someone here!

Thanks!

p.s. I know there was a kindle thread here before, and I've read the good reviews there, but I'd love the perspective of someone who has used both or at least is familiar w/the Sony version--it is cheaper and available at BJ's, so if I have a problem with it it can go right back.....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2009, 07:17 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,019,934 times
Consumerist - Amazon Kindle Books Can Only Be Downloaded A Limited Number Of Times, And No You Cannot Find Out That Limit Before You Hit It - Kindle (http://consumerist.com/5300138/amazon-kindle-books-can-only-be-downloaded-a-limited-number-of-times-and-no-you-cannot-find-out-that-limit-before-you-hit-it - broken link)

don't know if this will be of help to anyone.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:36 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,433,549 times
If you go up on Mobileread (sort of the premier non-manufacturer-linked site for discussing ebooks and ereaders), the actual issue is the number of download licenses, not the number of downloads to a device - you are allowed 6 devices total (Kindles, Kindle DXs, iPhones) and once you've downloaded to six devices, you are done.

So if you and your spouse both have Kindles (as we do) and you have both have iPhones (as we don't), and you have to replace one iPhone 5 times because it isn;t working right, the next iPhone won't download until previous registered devices are deactivated.

As far as price, does the Sony still come without the wall charger? The Sony and the Kindle V2 can both charge (very slooooowly) from USB, but the Kindle comes with a wall charger. Last I looked, the Sony didn't and it was $30 or so, bringing the price closer.

I bought the Kindle in February 08 and haven't had the slightest bit of trouble with it. At the time the choice between Kindle and Sony was easy, because I was struggling with Sony over warranty repairs to a (very expensive) lemon laptop and I was ticked off.

Since I live in a rural area with no good bookstores and a pretty mediocre library, I LOVE the ability to instantly download samples and books. Granted, not all new books are available on Kindle and books around 5-10 years old can be hard to find, but there are also a ton of source outside Amazon to download from (although you can't do it wirelessly). I'm up to around a thousand books (although you can't keep all of them on the device at once), many of which were from free public-domain sites.

Old 06-29-2009, 10:31 AM

141 posts, read 366,826 times
What I find the most compelling difference is that I can download my reading material directly into my Kindle. I do not need an intermediary i.e. my computer is not involved. I have downloaded reading material in dentist waiting rooms, airports and sitting in my backyard.
Also Kindle i.e. Amazon lets me "sample" a book (2 or 3 chapters) before I spend my dollars on it. I can not tell you how many new authors I have "sampled" and later bought.
My Kindle has more than paid for itself in my newspaper subscriptions. I had been getting the NY Times delivered at $180 a quarter ($60 monthly). I now, since January '08, have it, at my bedside, for $13.99 a month. I understand that the Miami Herald which I now pay $94 a quarter will be available in July for 5.95 a month.
I don't think there is a contest between the two. The page turn bars are not an issue. Once you learn where they are you touch them only when you want to change a page. After 18 months of use I am still awed by the convenience of the device.

Old 06-29-2009, 09:56 PM

2,819 posts, read 4,264,663 times
I have a Kindle and love it. The Sony either wasn't out or I didn't know about it, so I didn't compare. But the downloading is just SOOOOO easy. I'm not sure I would have bought one had I not been able to see one a firend had first. I thought the screen would be too much like a computer, which I am in front of all day at work. It isn't like that at all - very matte and easy to read curled up before bed. I also never noticed any issues with page turning. I guiess I probably have hit it once or twice by mistake but it's pretty easy to go back. Certainly not enough for it to have ever struck me as an issue.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:54 AM

14,693 posts, read 24,013,545 times
I like my Kindle. I wasn't aware of the device limitation but I can safely say my wife will never have a Kindle and I won't ever have an iPhone so I think I am good.

I believe the complaint about the location of the Next/Prev Page buttons applies to the old version. I have a Kindle 2 and have never even come close to hitting it by accident.

I like to buy the books on Amazon.com and then just sync my Kindle. It's not that there is anything wrong with the Kindles search feature I am just impatient.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:07 PM

2,239 posts, read 3,100,178 times
I am thinking of getting one of those too, so thank you mommytotwo for bringing this up, and thanks to everyone who responded. I would like to ask one question please: do you have to download from Amazon only with Kindle? Or can you download elsewhere?\

Thanks!

Old 06-30-2009, 02:49 PM

2,905 posts, read 6,787,232 times
I actually did buy the Kindle 2.

I think you've got to download from Amazon, but if you use your computer, download books from other sites onto your hard drive, and then to your Kindle, you can get books from other places.

I haven't tried this yet, as I am struggling through Anna Kerinnina (sp) that I got for $1.80.

I'll post back here later with my thoughts on Kindle now that I own it. I don't think it is right for everyone (not quite right for me, even!!!) but right now I've got to be somewhere, so I'll come back as soon as I get a chance.

Old 06-30-2009, 04:15 PM

7,785 posts, read 16,433,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by graceC View Post
I am thinking of getting one of those too, so thank you mommytotwo for bringing this up, and thanks to everyone who responded. I would like to ask one question please: do you have to download from Amazon only with Kindle? Or can you download elsewhere?\

Thanks!
There are a few other places you can download from - manybooks, for instance - but for the most part you download books directly from Amazon and all others go through your PC to your Kindle. The process is pretty simple.

Old 07-01-2009, 08:00 AM

2,239 posts, read 3,100,178 times
Thank you, ladies!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or