Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:01 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times

Advertisements

My son (11) is a voracious reader. This year he is required to read 10 different books from 10 different genres, so he is very open to suggestions. He keeps insisting to me that books can't be scarey. I have been trying to come up with a book that is *appropriate*, scarey, and will hold his interest. (to me appropriate would mean no sexual content, no drug use, little swearing) He is dying to read The Tommyknockers, but I remember it having some sexual content, and I don't think it could hold his interest with all the daily mineutae in it. Any suggestions??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2008, 06:44 AM

3,131 posts, read 11,646,444 times
A couple years ago, my son was reading some books that are a young James Bond-type theme. I don't recall the name. He just turned 14. He also has read some sport-themed books by Mike Lupica.
Lupica has some books that are more kid-oriented and some that are more adult oriented, so you have to check. He also enjoyed the Unfortunate Events series. He did read Friday Night Lights too. I do think that the book has some swearing etc. in it however.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:53 AM

285 posts, read 616,243 times
See if you can find any of The Black Stallion books by Walter Farley. I found a copy of The Black Stallion Returns at a resale shop and re-read it. Adventure and some intrigue but no cursing or other so-called "adult" themes.

Old 12-04-2008, 10:03 AM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
when I was around that age, I found the Fear St books by RL Stine to be somewhat scary. it's a line of books similar to Goosebumps (though Goosebumps was never scary to me). there was a set of books about one house in particular that still sticks in my head years later (I think it was the 99 Fear St series). not sure how gory or graphic they were, though I'm sure they're fine for that age. I'm not sure what 11yo find scary anymore in this day and age!

Old 12-04-2008, 10:04 AM

1,570 posts, read 2,069,074 times
He is right. Books can't be scary. I read a lot as well. But Im 22. And no horror book I have read has ever scared me.
edit:maybe traumatized me yes. but scared me? no.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:09 AM

24 posts, read 73,856 times
I would go for the classics. Mary Shelley's Frankenstein or Brahm Stoker's Dracula are both classified as horror. Frankenstein at least has no 'adult' content that I remember. Dracula is also 'clean' from what I remember although it's been a lot longer since I read it. I'm kind of a wimp, but Louis L'amour's Haunted Mesa had me on edge for the two days I was reading it.

Old 12-04-2008, 11:43 AM

4,537 posts, read 9,188,789 times
Default Books Can Be Plenty Scary

Please look at books by H.P. Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard

H. P. Lovecraft - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Robert E. Howard - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Lovecraft's horror volumes... well I've got those zingy chills running down my spine as I write this He is one of those writers who can create images and situations that no one else could, or would want to summon up.

Howard is best know for his creation Conan the Barbarian but he did a lot more with the sword and sorcery genre. Like Lovecraft, his demons and monsters and the lairs they inhabit are beyond anything ever imagined. And even with the Conan books, you know that the mind, led by a good story teller, can summon up much better images than a movie. Lots of boy pleasing adventure here as well - the swords parts

Both of these writers are of the pulps tradition of the 30's - 40's. There is nothing objectionable here. They have been pleasing generations of readers ever since

Old 12-04-2008, 06:03 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,343,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 60-minutes-II View Post
He is right. Books can't be scary. I read a lot as well. But Im 22. And no horror book I have read has ever scared me.
edit:maybe traumatized me yes. but scared me? no.
I guess it depends on what you r mean by "scary". I've read lots of books that were very disturbing and unsettling, even long after I finished reading them. for me, the scariest thing isn't typical monsters and ghosts, but the unknown monster, the one not right out mentioned in a book, but alluded to. I find my imagination can supply a far scarier monster than most authors can if they just give me the proper building blocks

real life horrors is unsettling of course, but not good for an 11yo

Old 12-04-2008, 09:08 PM

169 posts, read 526,334 times
i can't think of any scary books.

but one author i like when i was young is Paul Jennings (from Australia) - his books are funny (and be gross sometimes - but appropriate for kids since he is a kid author). his books were made into a TV series too and i loved watching it (i lived in australia then).

Old 12-04-2008, 09:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,132,157 times
Thanks for the ideas/suggestions!

He has read and enjoyed all of the Unfortunate Events.

I just read Dracula, and it isn't scarey, so I don't think he will think so. Also on my list is Frankenstein, but I don't think of that as scarey either. (funny since they are cornerstones of the genre)

L'amour? Really? Wouldn't have though he would have a suspenseful book.

I think he's too young for true crime stuff, but MAYBE Amityville. (does it have sex??) (I grew up on LI, and would hear adults talking about it and see it on the "news", so it was ingrained that it was true, so it has always been scarey for me!)

Fear Street! I know RL Stine had something scarier than Goosebumps.

And I'll check out Lovecraft!

Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books