Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2009, 09:45 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,443,002 times

Advertisements

OK - I'm not a sci-fi kind of gal but what the heck is it with vampire books lately? I did read that really long book (been a year or so and right now can't remember the name of it but it was really, really long supposed to be good but I was disappointed). I just don't get it. Apparently though, I am in the minority since any time I check this forum, it has to do with vampire books. Can some one tell me what is the draw? Obviously they are very popular so I am missing something.....sigh.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2009, 01:19 AM

10,113 posts, read 10,961,705 times
I don't think you are missing anything ... I read one vampire book long long ago ... Salem's Lot by Stephen King and haven't touched a vampire book since then.

I learned never ever invite a vampire into your home ... keep garlic, mirrors, holy water, a cross, wooden stake and hammer handy at all times after reading Salem's Lot and I have my trusty silver bullet for werewolves after reading King's Silver Bullet.

Old 01-24-2009, 05:31 PM

I forgot about Salem's Lot - I read that a looooong time ago (jr high maybe?). I got over Stephen King about 25 years ago also...LOL
Truly though, the vampire thing has really grown in popularity in the last 5 years or so (or maybe I'm just noticing it more...just curious as to why.

Old 01-25-2009, 05:29 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,210,895 times
I'm not sure what it is for most people - although I'd suggest its another case of identifying with something that's an outsider, only instead of your normal human being feeling on the outside of things one can imagine being an outsider that's really cool and super sexy, with "talents" that not give a real comeuppance but has the "insiders" begging for it. That would be one, its probably different for many.
Myself, I'm in my 50s and had a 7 yr old sister who used to torment me by sneaking into my room after bedtime and terrifying me with monsters - they live under your bed, in your closet, they sneak out and bite your neck. I couldn't sleep without a sheet wrapped around my feet and neck till I was almost 18. Then came Hammer Pictures vampire series - not too scary, just a little sexy and thrilling and there you go. I don't have any kind of obsession but I have been reading vampire short stories and the ocassional book etc. most of my life. Mind you I read a lot and the vampire stuff is a very small percentage, but I enjoy it. I check out the movies too though most of them are pretty bad and I don't watch the ones that look like they are going to be just really bad (most).
The original book is actually quite good.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:35 PM

13,395 posts, read 45,006,830 times
I read Anne Rice's first couple books and enjoyed them.
That's about it for me.
I guess vampire lit is sort of romantic and dangerous at the same time?
Certainly there are erotic undertones that must appeal to those who read these books.
It's not really for me, but I don't knock it.
People should read what they want.

Old 01-25-2009, 12:40 PM

Yeah, I do get the impression that vampires are presented in a positive and sexy way - although this is just a guess due to the popularity of the books. Hmmmm...I sure wish I could remember the name of that looong book. Came out maybe 3-4 years ago....anyone have any ideas?

Old 01-25-2009, 12:56 PM

It was, The Historian....whew, I feel better now, that was really bugging me!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:39 PM

1,488 posts, read 5,235,643 times
Vampires and wizards don't do a thing for me - I even disliked teaching 7th grade mythology!

Old 01-25-2009, 07:41 PM

5,554 posts, read 6,737,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaWoman View Post
I don't think you are missing anything ... I read one vampire book long long ago ... Salem's Lot by Stephen King and haven't touched a vampire book since then.
Same here, but I loved it!

Old 01-25-2009, 10:11 PM

6,025 posts, read 15,338,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
OK - I'm not a sci-fi kind of gal but what the heck is it with vampire books lately? I did read that really long book (been a year or so and right now can't remember the name of it but it was really, really long supposed to be good but I was disappointed). I just don't get it. Apparently though, I am in the minority since any time I check this forum, it has to do with vampire books. Can some one tell me what is the draw? Obviously they are very popular so I am missing something.....sigh.....
ugh, I've been wondering the same thing for months. IMHO, vampires are far too overdone and that genre needs to die. you had Interview w/ a Vampire, and the eventual offspring, both written and cinematic. then you had Buffy the Vampire Slayer the movie, which wasn't that great. nearly everyone loved Buffy the TV show and it became a cult classic. then came Angel. from there, you got the Sookie Stackhouse/Southern Vampire series, the Anita Blake books, the horrific Dracula 2000 movie (granted, that movie did offer a rather unique look at Dracula), the Underworld movies (god, make them stop, why is there another one coming out?), Moonlight, True Blood, the House of Night books, and of course, my biggest pet peeve of them all, the Twilight series, which I consider to be the dregs of literature. my head will explode if another book, movie, or TV series about vamps! seriously, there is nothing original left in the genre, and making your vamps glitter in the sun, giving Dracula some crazy back story, or giving them high powered guns so they can kill werewolves isn't going to bring freshness to a stale genre. I'd love some more originality in the fantasy genre; enough w/ the vamps, werewolves, witches, wizards, wise telepathic dragons, and Tolkien elves!

okay, end rant! must...calm..down... and breathe!

Last edited by eevee; 01-25-2009 at 10:12 PM.. Reason: sp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books