U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2009, 03:44 PM

4,948 posts, read 17,163,759 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hungry For Cheese View Post
I am looking for an interesting read for someone. Shouldn't be filled with too many large words as to have them wondering, "What's that mean?", every page.

Any Agatha Christie book do? "And Then There Were None"?
Well there is mary clark higgins, how about Michael palmer he writes about hospitals. I read the fifth vial which I did like. Nora Roberts also as some good reads. James Patterson does have some good books also. If you wander around Walmart, you can check out other books, they do have them somewhat cheaper.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2009, 03:50 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,453,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maggiekate View Post
Well there is mary clark higgins, how about Michael palmer he writes about hospitals. I read the fifth vial which I did like. Nora Roberts also as some good reads. James Patterson does have some good books also. If you wander around Walmart, you can check out other books, they do have them somewhat cheaper.
Thanks--I will go to the library--cannot beat their prices.

I have to be in the right mood to go to my WalMart. Not even certain I could find the book aisle--IYKWIM?

Generally I can walk into the library and see 'Something' but it is good to have a few titles in mind, isn't it?

Old 02-05-2009, 05:56 PM

9,153 posts, read 7,818,330 times
You've Got Murder by Donna Andrews is the first in a series about a sentient computer that gets into detective work. Very easy to read, entertaining and engrossing.

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz is the first in a series about a strange (but very likeable) young man who uses his psychic and paranormal talents to solve murders. Also very easy to read.

Old 02-05-2009, 06:29 PM

8,862 posts, read 15,453,589 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LillyLillyLilly View Post
You've Got Murder by Donna Andrews is the first in a series about a sentient computer that gets into detective work. Very easy to read, entertaining and engrossing.

Odd Thomas by Dean Koontz is the first in a series about a strange (but very likeable) young man who uses his psychic and paranormal talents to solve murders. Also very easy to read.
Adding these to the list. Spanks.

Old 02-06-2009, 10:24 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,789,782 times
Also, check out Steve Berry. He has some very interesting books out there. they are based on some type of "Historical myth vs real" issue or topic. then, his main character, who is a former government-type chases down the answers. one of the most interesting was "The amber room". I read it a year ago, then on Good Morning America, they talked about the real amber room in russia and how it has been re-created! really interesting.

Old 02-06-2009, 03:49 PM

14,611 posts, read 20,423,475 times
james patterson does not do too bad with mysteries either . I really enjoyed his maximum ride series . you might want to check him out . good luck and happy reading .

Old 02-23-2009, 10:05 AM

266 posts, read 803,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyPoohFan317 View Post
I'm 25 and here is what I have enjoyed

1.Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. There is a good suspense element in it, but they are also just darn funny too, which keeps me entertained (starts with One for the Money, then 2 for the Dough, etc.).

2.James Patterson is also good: either his Women's Murder Club series (1st to Die, 2nd Chance, etc.) or his Alex Cross Novels (started w/ Along Came a Spider, most recent one is Cross Country, just out in hardback).

3. I concur that Sue Grafton is pretty good.

4. The Coffeehouse Mysteries by Clare Cosi (On What Grounds is #1) are not too bad and you get some great coffee making tips.

5. Nelson DeMille's NightFall is interesting.

6. Anything by Vince Flynn rates up there for me, these are mostly set in the world of DC, so it would help if she enjoyed get a fictional view of insider political life as well as a good mystery/thriller.

7. I tend to enjoy the mysteries in J.D. Robb's "In Death" series. These are by Nora Roberts (she uses a pen name) and there is some romance to them, but it is easy to skim over and they are not by any means "romance novels". The first one is Naked in Death, and they focus on Homicide cop Lt. Eve Dallas as she works to close the case. Interesting character development. I would call these mystery novels with a romantic element.

That is probably enough for right now! This is my favorite genre, and talking about them makes me want to go downstairs to my library, but I should go to bed! Have a merry Christmas! Let me know if you want more info!

Janet Evanovich's Stephanie Plum series. I love it! I hate waiting till june for a new book to come out.

Old 02-25-2009, 10:14 AM

14,611 posts, read 20,423,475 times
Here is another one I remembered after I first posted . the tea room mysteries are good . I hope she enjoys what you get for her . good luck and happy reading .

Old 03-03-2009, 09:18 PM

1,412 posts, read 2,225,756 times
Oh I love mysteries, my favorite genre. I have been dying for a good mystery for months now! I have no clue who to read though. I have read all of G.A Mckevetts and Diane Mott Davidsons books, and most of Mary Higgins Clarks books. I like humor, travel, culinary mysteries, and I like to read series. Can anyone recommend anything?

Old 03-04-2009, 09:18 AM

3,131 posts, read 10,789,782 times
If you live diane mott davidson, check out susan wittig albert. her china bayles series. the titles all have herbs and spices/plant names etc. they are enjoyable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or