Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2009, 04:16 PM

1,995 posts, read 3,380,405 times

Advertisements

I just found a book someone gave me some time ago to read "The Secret Life of Bees". I must have had at least five people tell me I would really like this book and for some reason I have resisted reading it. Is it rebellion at being told I will like something or intuition? What book have you resisted reading?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 PM

1,833 posts, read 3,357,374 times
I am usually resistant to books that people think are the greatest book they ever read. I'm so sure I'm going to be disappointed so I will avoid reading - or try to avoid anyway. "The Secret Life of Bees" was a book lots of people said they loved, and with all the hoopla surrounding it, I was very hesitant to read it. I personally was surprised to find myself enjoying it - although I would not re-read it. Not knowing you or your likes, I'm not going to say you'll like it, but if you decide to give it a shot you might be surprised. I know I've been pleasantly surprised recently in a couple I was very hesitant about but gave in to.

Right now in my piles I'd say "Life of Pi" and "Water for Elephants" are my books I'm resisting although I do plan to read at some point.

Old 09-24-2009, 02:18 AM

2,579 posts, read 2,453,826 times
I have three books that my BIL has given me in the course of the years that have even moved home with me but are still untouched and I am not quite sure why since in general I enjoy his reccomendations:

"Heavenly Date" by Alexander McCall Smith
"The chosen" by Cham Potok
"The Glass Palace" by Amitav Ghosh

Old 09-25-2009, 12:24 PM

5,252 posts, read 4,687,962 times
Books that fail to reveal something previously unknown to the reader, often remain unread after the initial few pages are finished. It could be the nature of our curious minds, but, I've known for some time that there are going to be thousands of books that just flat out don't deserve reading.

In America, reading books is becoming a thing of the past. Yes, I know the sales stats show a large number of book sales year over year, but, are these books ever really finished by their buyers? It seems as though the proletizing of books has rendered most of the published works to be of little value, romance, crime, and other wowser type books seem to be the norm today. Good books are rare, and they are a true delight to discover, I look in the old used book stores that cater to the eclectic reader,the new stuff doesn't really interest me, if it's on the best seller list I'm definitly not interested.

Discovery has long been one of the driving forces in communication, learning, creating, and living in general depend upon sharing new discoveries through communication, books have always been there to that end. I've been wondering how long it will take to indoctrinate our youth into a state of mind that shuns learning anything more than how to navigate the menu on their latest gadget. I really do love books, and it's good to come here and read the thoughts of others who, just might make this great medium last a while longer.

Old 09-25-2009, 02:12 PM

1,909 posts, read 2,541,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandhillian View Post
I just found a book someone gave me some time ago to read "The Secret Life of Bees". I must have had at least five people tell me I would really like this book and for some reason I have resisted reading it. Is it rebellion at being told I will like something or intuition? What book have you resisted reading?
Maybe not rebellion. Sometimes a book just doesn't appeal to us at first glance, but we change our minds quickly when we finally do open it up.

I've read Stephen King as long as I can remember...probably from his start. I've always loved horror stories.

In 1991 I had my appendix removed and a friend brought me Cold Fire by Dean Koontz because it was new and on the best seller list (I guess).I looked at the cover and read the back of the paperback and it was not something that even appealed to me at the time. I brought the book home and put it away for later reading. I finally got around to reading it years later and have gone on to read almost all DK's books. Cold Fire is my favorite and I had to go out and buy a hard copy after reading the paperback to shreds.

Old 09-25-2009, 03:19 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,355,892 times
I can think of two books recently that I had put off reading.

The Poisonwood Bible-I didn't want to read it because of its title.
I read it recently and was so glad I did. It is an amazing story and very well-written.

The Shack-I didn't want to read this one due to subject matter.
I finished reading it last week and I did not care for it.

Last edited by Ketabcha; 09-25-2009 at 03:29 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books