U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 10:44 AM

406 posts, read 1,253,730 times

Advertisements

what are your favorite book to movie transitions?

i think the curious case of benjamin button has been the best in recent memory. excellent remake of f. scott fitzgerald's original short story. well done, made to be believable in a fantastic way, but it stayed true to the story.

i am also thinking last of the mohicans is one of my favorite book to movies as well.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 12:46 PM

18,693 posts, read 22,440,190 times
Mystic River was an almost complete transition from the book. Even much of the dialouge was word-for-word the same.

The Godfather I & II were brilliant films based upon a really mediocre book.

JAWS is classic cinema. One of the best films of the '70s. But the book was mediocre at best.

Blade Runner. Brilliant movie based upon a terrible novella.

Forrest Gump. Fun movie. Terrible book.

L.A. Confidential. Great movie. Very good book.

Out of Sight, Jackie Brown, Get Shorty, and 3.10 to Yuma. All good to great movies based on Elmore Leonard books.

The Outlaw Josey Wales. Honestly, I never read the book. But it's a classic film.

The Maltese Falcon. Classic film. Classic novel.

Band of Brothers. Fantastic mini-series. Good book.

The Lord of the Rings. Good adaptation of a great book.

Several Stephen King novels have made great movies. The Shawshank Redemption, The Green Mile, Stand By Me, The Shining, The Dead Zone.

Wonder Boys. Never read the book. Loved the movie.

Minority Report. Great SF flick loosely based on an SF story I've never read.

Lonesome Dove. Great miniseries. Great book.

Old 01-02-2009, 07:54 PM

23,079 posts, read 24,703,846 times
I am usually disappointed in books that I love that are made into movies but one that sticks out is To Kill a Mockingbird. I also thought they did a decent job with The Kite Runner.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:15 PM

13,036 posts, read 22,721,101 times
"Cyrano de Bergerac" by Edmond Rostang , the film ( with Gerard Depardieu) was in all aspects an absolute marvel and a true rendition of the book. I cannot imagine a better interpretation of it ever being made.

I agree with "To Kill a Mockingbird" and I did love the late Anthony Minghella's version of Alexander McCall Smith's " No 1 Ladies' Detective Agency", it captured the warmth and gentle charm of the book.

I also loved "Henry V" with Kenneth Brannagh, an more than able rendition of Shakespeare's famous play and have to admit that I even quite liked "Hamlet" with Mel Gibson.

Most books are disappointing, I think mostly because we all have a very intimate and very personal "inner" vision of characters, location etc... and it can be utterly disappointing if it deviates in the slightest from that idea.

Two TV series stand out for me, "Poirot" with David Suchet and "Jeeves and Wooster" with Hugh Laurie and Stephen Fry. Both are astonishingly good and I imagine both Agatha Christie and PG Wodehouse would have been hugely pleased and rather flattered at the sheer quality of those productions.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:18 PM

616 posts, read 1,066,856 times
Almost all of the choices for Dickens tales to movies were great. Especially the ones the Brits produced.

Old 01-03-2009, 01:28 PM

2,218 posts, read 3,066,956 times
I thought they did a pretty good job making "Memoirs of a Geisha" and "Kite Runner". I so hope that if they decide to make a movie of "1000 Splendid Suns" that they do it justice. It is my favorite book of 2008.

Old 01-06-2009, 09:38 PM

6,413 posts, read 10,886,011 times
The only novels that I've thought were faithfully, and well made as films are pretty much any Stephen King novel, and any John Irving novel.

Tops of my list, though, is The World According to Garp.

Old 01-08-2009, 09:48 PM

23,079 posts, read 24,703,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnricoV View Post
The only novels that I've thought were faithfully, and well made as films are pretty much any Stephen King novel, and any John Irving novel.

Tops of my list, though, is The World According to Garp.
That's odd since I always got the impression Stephen King himself is generally not happy with movies made from his books. He actually re-did The Shining because he was so unhappy with the movie version.

Old 01-09-2009, 07:35 PM

891 posts, read 2,834,433 times
I loved the adaptation of "The Accidental Tourist". I love character studies and the people in the book were really quirky. Anne Tyler made them so real that you could almost understand the way they were. I normally don't like movies based on books but that movie was cast perfectly and was very good. I don't know how anyone that didn't read the book would have liked the movie though.

Old 01-09-2009, 08:16 PM

5,726 posts, read 10,481,939 times
The only one I can think of off the top of my head that I thought was actually better as a movie than a book was Birdy by William Wharton.

If anyone starts a worst movie-from-book adaptation thread, I'll throw Bonfire of the Vanities out as public enemy #1.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or