U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2009, 01:12 AM

13,530 posts, read 4,827,889 times

Advertisements

My mother language is German but I try to speak as much English with our son as possible.

I think it may be fun to read some stories to him before he goes to bed as soon as he's a bit bigger. But I only have German stories and can't find good recommendations on Amazon. Maybe you can help me.

What can you recommend? What are the best children's stories? What did you read in the past or what did your parents read to you when you where younger? I'm looking for bedtime stories, short stories and fairy tails and stuff like that.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Diana
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 06:10 AM

395 posts, read 1,209,974 times
My best advise would be to just walk into any book store and ask for childrens section. When I was a little gilr (24 years ago!) i used to love 'Cinderella'. And there were many more books which my mom used to read to me, which might not be avialable right now. So, i guess a book store would be a great idea.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:39 AM

13,530 posts, read 4,827,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakhi View Post
My best advise would be to just walk into any book store and ask for childrens section. When I was a little gilr (24 years ago!) i used to love 'Cinderella'. And there were many more books which my mom used to read to me, which might not be avialable right now. So, i guess a book store would be a great idea.
Well that would be the easiest way if we had book stores that have childrens' books in English available at all times. Last week, when I showed up in one of the bigger book stores, they only had a small assortment of normal books (fiction, non fiction and stuff like Harry Potter or the Eragon series) but no childrens' books. One of the employees told me that they could order me some if I knew the title

So that's what I really need. Otherwise I would just browse through them and look what's most interesting. That's what I do with German childrens' books.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:48 AM

891 posts, read 2,821,875 times
Our son really liked the Dr. Seuss and P.D. Eastman books at that age. Some of our favorites were "Are You My Mother", "Go Dog Go", "A Fish Out Of Water", "The Diggingest Dog", "Green Eggs and Ham". He also loved "Cloudy With a Chance of Meatballs".
I believe that there is a Dr Seuss club you can join and get a new book every 4-6 weeks.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:55 AM

13,387 posts, read 41,770,898 times
I am a preschool teacher, my favorite age is 3's.

Some simple favorites the kids always love:

Little Blue and Little Yellow

Caps for Sale

Runaway Bunny

Brown Bear, Brown Bear

Grandfather Twilight

No, David

There are more, but these tried-and-true books should get you started.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:10 AM

1,833 posts, read 2,905,560 times
My favorite was Corduroy. I love that bear. My kids have it too but I'm not sure they love it as much as I do. We have some of the others listed too so I second what's been suggested already.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:15 AM

4,045 posts, read 1,576,337 times
I just got an I Spy book for a two year old. It has many pictures and you find the things listed at the bottom of the page somewhere within the picture. Kids like it and it can be a good way to build vocabulary.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:18 AM

22,719 posts, read 24,407,878 times
The books my kids looooved included:
Blueberry's for Sal and Make Way for Ducklings both by Robert McCloskey
And, my son could never get enough of Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day by Judith Viorst

Old 01-06-2009, 07:19 AM

13,387 posts, read 41,770,898 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpinvt View Post
I just got an I Spy book for a two year old. It has many pictures and you find the things listed at the bottom of the page somewhere within the picture. Kids like it and it can be a good way to build vocabulary.
Those I Spy books are great--and are fun for kids of all ages.
The Where's Waldo series were fun as well, seems like they were good for 4-6 year olds, but perhaps younger children might like them too.

Old 01-06-2009, 08:19 AM

22,719 posts, read 24,407,878 times
Ditto on the I Spy books - I still love them!
Also of course are Goodnight Moon and Runaway Bunny....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Books